Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what is the best phone to get for straight talk

Feedback Score

what is the best phone to get for straight talk

Hi any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I am in the process of switching the family over to Straight talk and the time has come to switch my wife.

What I am looking for is the best phone to fit her. She currently uses a basic phone on Verizon for texting and talking.
    What I am looking for is something with the largest screen (she has a hard time seeing things and that will allow her to use the net if she wants, gps apps, some games and streaming music.

again any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

also am i doing the right thing switching a family of 5 over to straight talk from verizon? it looks like without deals on 6 months of pre paid i will be paying $8 more a month for unlimited everything and I currently have one phone under verizon that can use data. Are there better options out there?

sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well, pre-paid plans like this one are usually better for individual users than large families. With a family of 5 if everyone has a phone then in my opinion you are probably better off staying with VZW or going to another post-paid traditional provider. Even if the cost is roughly the same, the customer service and account management tools offered by a traditional provider would make it the better choice given the same price.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    There are some prepaid providers that are better suited for families, the Walmart Family Mobile plan is one that comes to mind, I don't know a lot about it but it runs of T-mobile and is supposed to be cheap for families.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
    Well, pre-paid plans like this one are usually better for individual users than large families. With a family of 5 if everyone has a phone then in my opinion you are probably better off staying with VZW or going to another post-paid traditional provider. Even if the cost is roughly the same, the customer service and account management tools offered by a traditional provider would make it the better choice given the same price.
    my bigest problem with verizon is to upgrade everyone to a data plan the cost would be roughly $290 a month. I have seen deals for 6 months on dealnews before. I would pay $42.50 a line on straight talk.
    so many choices!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
    There are some prepaid providers that are better suited for families, the Walmart Family Mobile plan is one that comes to mind, I don't know a lot about it but it runs of T-mobile and is supposed to be cheap for families.
    the walmart plan is 1 gig of data enough for 3 teen age users? and for pandora streeming? Also if i were to switch to the walmart plan would the straight talk enabled phones (at&T iphones) be switchable?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckoning-1965 View Post
    Hi any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I am in the process of switching the family over to Straight talk and the time has come to switch my wife.

What I am looking for is the best phone to fit her. She currently uses a basic phone on Verizon for texting and talking.
    What I am looking for is something with the largest screen (she has a hard time seeing things and that will allow her to use the net if she wants, gps apps, some games and streaming music.

again any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

also am i doing the right thing switching a family of 5 over to straight talk from verizon? it looks like without deals on 6 months of pre paid i will be paying $8 more a month for unlimited everything and I currently have one phone under verizon that can use data. Are there better options out there?

sorry for my lack of knowledge.

if you want to stay on verizon you would have to buy a straight talk phone that uses verizon network
    you cannot currently bring your own verizon phone to straight talk. also straight talk data is not unliminted
    so streaming music is a big no no, unless you want to be throttled / or terminated.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    if you want to stay on verizon you would have to buy a straight talk phone that uses verizon network
    you cannot currently bring your own verizon phone to straight talk. also straight talk data is not unliminted
    so streaming music is a big no no, unless you want to be throttled / or terminated.
    I'm fine with purchasing a phone from ebay or any other site just want ideas on which one would work best for her. It is great to know about the music thing and that probably wont be a problem.

Any ideas on the best largest phone to get?

Feedback Score
    the walmart plan is 1 gig of data enough for 3 teen age users? and for pandora streeming? Also if i were to switch to the walmart plan would the straight talk enabled phones (at&T iphones) be switchable?

the phones sold by straight talk cannot be used on any other network only straight talk.

Carrier
    T-Mobile Value
    Feedback Score

Re: what is the best phone to get for straight talk

How is tmobile network in your area? If it's ok, then it's hard to best the tmobile's value plans.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stasek View Post
    How is tmobile network in your area? If it's ok, then it's hard to best the tmobile's value plans.

tmobile service is fine in the orlando area as is AT&T. I looked at the tmoble plan but the problem was walmart wouldnt let me bring in my own phone for 2 lnes at the 30 a month(100 minutes, unlimited text and data)
    Is smart talk not the way to go"?

Feedback Score
    I'm fine with purchasing a phone from ebay or any other site just want ideas on which one would work best for her. It is great to know about the music thing and that probably wont be a problem.

Any ideas on the best largest phone to get?
    if you buy a phone off of ebay/craigslist it would be highly recommended to have the phone checked to make shure that it is not reported lost or stolen .

Carrier
    T-Mobile Value
    Feedback Score

I'm talking about the value plan directly from tmobile. Here's what I have - 2 lines with unlimited talk/text/data (first 2GB at 4g), and 2 lines for kids with 500 anytime minutes and unlimited text (no data) for $100 plus taxes. Currently, tmobile is offering free add on lines, like the 2 I have, for free till 2014. Even if you add data to the add on lines, you're still at $130 or so. The only drawback is you have to bring your own phones- no subsidies on the value plan.

Feedback Score
    The sales associate at walmart was lying. You CAN bring your own phone for t-mo's $30 plan. Just buy the activation kit from t-mo's website for $0.99 each. If you want to port your # then I think you may have to call. Once the sim is active just pop it in to the phone of your choice.

Another very good option mentioned above is t-mo's value plans. If you order now you could get 4 lines on a 1000 min. plan plus unl. text, and unl. data (throttled at 2gb) for each line for $100. This would breakdown to just $25 dollars a line. Of course you will have to pay taxes, but you also may be eligible for a corporate discount form your work. As mentioned above you won't get a device subsidy so you should buy the phones off of 3rd party retailers. I would suggest swappa. You will also be tied into a two year contract but for the price it can't be beat. http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Package...ePackages.aspx

Feedback Score
    Thanks cubskru I like that idea alot. My only problem is for 2 lines to leave verizon right now its almost $700.

On the tmobile $30 plan at walmart I could use a at&T phone that I just put on straight talk and put it on the 30 plan that has unlimited text and data and 100 minutes of talk?

Carrier
    T-Mobile Value
    Feedback Score

In order for the att phone to work on tmo, you would have to have it unlocked and depending on tmo's refarm situation in your area, you could be stuck on 2g.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast