Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Questions about LG 800G vs LG 840G

Feedback Score

Questions about LG 800G vs LG 840G

Hi all. I'm new to this forum. Hope you don't mind me barging in and asking questions. I have a decision to make and I was hoping you guys could help. I don't have a lot of money usually, so I'm trying to make the best and most informed decision I can on this seeing as I don't know when, if ever, I'll have the money again to buy another decent cell phone. (decent for me, that is)

So, from what I've seen online, it looks like the most popular Tracfones are the LG800G and the LG840G. I was hoping you all could talk to me about the differences in each model AND the pros and cons of each. One thing I know I like about the 840G is that it has a capacitive touch screen compared to the resistive of the 800G. I also know that the 840G has 3G but it's something I wouldn't ever use since I believe it eats minutes like it's starving?

Other than that, here are some things I am thinking and/or worried about:
    --How is the texting on each phone and what type of keyboards do they have? Are you forced to use Auto-Correct?
    --Are there downloadable apps for each of these phones and are some of them free?
    --I noticed on Amazon a very large number of people complaining about some very hefty problems with the 800G like freezes/lockups and other errors where you have to remove the battery and reinstall it in order to get the phone to work again. Also, Amazon just stopped selling the 800G due to some undisclosed problem, though other sellers on Amazon do still sell it. Is the 800G a risky phone to buy based on all of this?

Sorry for my lengthy post. I'm talkative. =(

Feedback Score
    I upgraded from an 800g to a 840g simply because it has wifi. I now can surf the net or send texts free if I can find a free hot-spot. SPOT-ON
    I've decided to start giving a crap
    Would you like some?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rich in STL View Post
    I upgraded from an 800g to a 840g simply because it has wifi. I now can surf the net or send texts free if I can find a free hot-spot. SPOT-ON
    *laugh* Good reason to upgrade! So but having used both phones now, which do you like better and why? Aside from the wi-fi part. =) Is the 840g an upgrade in all respects, would you say?

Feedback Score
    The thing I value the most is the ability to make voice calls. The LG800G has good reception from inside buildings and other places where my previous phone was useless. Both using the same carrier. The wifi on the 840 would be nice, but I don't feel like experimenting with the reception. And this sounds old-fashioned, but I prefer the resistive screen on the 800. Don't know about texting differences, etc., because all I do is voice, and hardly any of that. But I need it to work indoors pretty well.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I never used to text. But the past year, and especially the past 6 months, I've found myself having to text a lot and my crappy little tracfone from days gone by just sucks at it. But yes, call quality within buildings would be good as well.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The 800 and 840 are decent touch screen phones (for Tracfone). The 800 is a little smaller, so it's a bit more compact. I always had good call quality on mine (AT&T based) - I did not have any lock-up problems like you mention, so I cannot comment on that. For internet on the 800, not too good - it's real slow (something like 2.5 G speed), and I had to use another web browser - Opera mini, but even with that, I never could get Hotmail to display properly. Texting was no problem at all, and you can choose to have the predictive text to be on or off.

The 840 is the one I have now and strongly prefer between the two. It is slightly larger, the call quality seems to be about the same (my experience), and texting is just as easy (also has predictive text you can turn on/off). The internet is much better and faster - 3G speed, and I mostly use the default Tracfone browser, which easily displays my Hotmail properly. I also have a couple of other web browsers installed (opera mini, OC) and they work real well, but don't use too often. I also use a signed version of Google maps which is real slick. Apps are hit/miss, I only put free ones on the phone. I got the 840 on sale from HSN - 99 bucks for it and a 1 year card and 1400 minutes. Check out that site and see if they have it.

Hope this helps....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rich in STL View Post
    Hello...I just got this phone for my daughter. As long as I go check that I'm connected to wifi, I don't get charged minutes for searching. However, no matter what I do, my texts (in wifi) are still charging me!! What am I doing wrong? It allows me to surf free...why not text?

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto Droid X2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    No cell phone's native text app utilizes Wi-Fi. That is a function that technologically uses (is carried over) the cellular phone network.

If you've got a smartphone, depending on its operating system (Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry etc.), there are texting apps for each respective one that can text via Wi-Fi. The LG 800G & 840G are not smartphones. However, there may be Java-based apps that might fit the bill for the functions you seek.

You don't just turn on Wi-Fi and expect every function the phone does to be executed over it (such as phone calls and SMS texting). Using the web browser is a separate function from the phone. In phones with Wi-Fi, you've essentially got three modes available: Cellular phone network, cellular data network, and any available Wi-Fi network. Calling and SMS texting are handled by the first. The web browser can be handled by either the second or third, and when using Wi-Fi doesn't cost you anything, as you're now aware.

Feedback Score
    The only thing free on the 840 is web surfing, if there is free wifi available. However if you muck around with the phone you can get more free service :-)

Feedback Score
    rich in STL wrote...
    The only thing free on the 840 is web surfing, if there is free wifi available. However if you muck around with the phone you can get more free service :-)
    What do you mean by this? Can you be more specific?

Urge

Feedback Score
    I think you can log into your Gmail/Google Voice account using wifi, and then text for free from there.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I upgraded from the LG800G to the LG840G. Because I wanted Wifi so I can quickly check my email at home (sometimes at work) for anything important without having to turn on my PC. I don't talk on the phone too much. But when I do, the quality is very good. If I were in your place, I'd buy the LG840G.

Feedback Score
    I just switched from an Lg 500G to the LG 840G yesterday....the transfer of minutes and phone number was done quickly from my computer...so when I looked at airtime minutes, Tracfone had extended expiration from June to Sept. So I guess my question is this...can I add minutes anytime and will they extend from that Sept. date...or from the day I add the minutes. I hope I am making sense and is proper for this forum?

Feedback Score
    Everything you add is just tacked onto the end. Like extending a subscription.

A new Tracfone is pre-loaded with 10-20 minutes and 60 days. That's where your extra days came from. Notice they tacked onto the end of what you already had. Minutes same thing.

Feedback Score
    I just went from the 800 to the 840, and I have found a problem which might or might not affect you, depending on how you carry your phone. Apparently, on the 840, the "Increasing Ring" feature seems to be 'on' regardless of how you have the on/off slider set. If you carry the phone in your pants pocket, on your belt, or in a purse, you might not hear the ringtone until it has rung 3 or 4 times......it starts out VERY low, and only gradually increases. I have missed a couple of calls when the caller hangs up after about 4 rings. Otherwise, I prefer the 840, even though the WiFi is frustrating sometimes when trying to connect to a website. After getting used to it, I like the touchscreen better, and the capability to accept a much larger SD card.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast