Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Questions about LG 800G vs LG 840G

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cg205 View Post
    I just went from the 800 to the 840, and I have found a problem which might or might not affect you, depending on how you carry your phone. Apparently, on the 840, the "Increasing Ring" feature seems to be 'on' regardless of how you have the on/off slider set. If you carry the phone in your pants pocket, on your belt, or in a purse, you might not hear the ringtone until it has rung 3 or 4 times......it starts out VERY low, and only gradually increases. I have missed a couple of calls when the caller hangs up after about 4 rings. Otherwise, I prefer the 840, even though the WiFi is frustrating sometimes when trying to connect to a website. After getting used to it, I like the touchscreen better, and the capability to accept a much larger SD card.
    Re: the increasing ringtone - that's not my experience. I have the Increasing Ringtone set to Off, and my ring tone has always been at full volume since. I just checked it again to confirm. I carry my 840 in my pocket and never have a problem hearing it ring.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by srt8mro View Post
    Re: the increasing ringtone - that's not my experience. I have the Increasing Ringtone set to Off, and my ring tone has always been at full volume since. I just checked it again to confirm. I carry my 840 in my pocket and never have a problem hearing it ring.
    Since I've gotten two of these phones in a row with the exact same problem, I have to wonder if maybe a change has been made in the phone. Another 840 user on the Yahoo forum has experienced the same thing as I have. I have tried different 'stock' ringtones, and downloaded some others to use, but have the same results as with the others. Strange thing, though, a few minutes ago I got a call and it went loud from the first ring. A little later, and it was back to the 'increasing volume' again....with no change to the settings at all.

Feedback Score
    Thank you everyone for your opinions and information. It's been very helpful to me. I think I can make a decision now. And I don't think I'm going to get either the 800g or the 840g. There just seems to be very mixed reviews on both. The 800g is very popular and has a lot of great ratings, BUT, it's still also got a too large portion of people who have major problems with the phone like lockups (i don't mean the autolock feature), the phone just not working anymore, and other issues as well.

So, I'm pretty set on the Samsung s425g. The reviews on it are very, very good from hundreds of people saying that not only are the features very good and work well, but the call quality of the phone is excellent. And it's got a slideout keyboard which I think will be very helpful to me in sending texts. It's a bit more expensive than I wanted to go for but I think it will be worth it for the peace of mind that the phone is reliable and will last me a good, long time and I won't have problems with call quality like I do on my current Tracfone.

Again, thank you guys so much for all the help. I posted for help on 4 different cell phone forums and on 2 of them, nobody helped at all and the 3rd one people gave me info that really wasn't about tracfones at all... just general cell phone advice. So you guys have been the only help I've gotten and I really appreciate it. Thank you! =)

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Here's what I can tell you:

Well, to start off, the big major difference is that the 840G has 3G/WiFi, giving free internet access at wireless hotspots. The 800G has a resistive touchscreen, while the 840G has a capacitive screen. The 800g has a more rounded look, while the 840G is rectangular, like an iPhone. The 840G has 3 capacitive touchscreen buttons on the front, while the ones on the 800g are actual physical buttons. Those are all I know for now, I'll give more info when I can.

Carrier
    Consumer Cellular Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Re: Questions about LG 800G vs LG 840G

Quote Originally Posted by zoonie4howard View Post
    I upgraded from the LG800G to the LG840G. Because I wanted Wifi so I can quickly check my email at home (sometimes at work) for anything important without having to turn on my PC. I don't talk on the phone too much. But when I do, the quality is very good. If I were in your place, I'd buy the LG840G.
    Is the touchscreen more responsive on the 840g? The 800g I had was barely usable.

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The 840 is more sensitive than the 800.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell1 View Post
    Is the touchscreen more responsive on the 840g? The 800g I had was barely usable.

Sent using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks, I may give it a try. My wife is using a Samsung s390g and hates it. I have an 800g laying but the screen was always so unresponsive that I'm not sure she would like it either.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You may want to check this seller among others:
    http://stores.ebay.com/shopcelldeals..._sid=161278661

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    You may want to check this seller among others:
    http://stores.ebay.com/shopcelldeals..._sid=161278661
    Thanks, $39 is a good price with free shipping. I've bought from those folks before and they're pretty competitive on their prices.

Feedback Score
    Hey! Sorry if this is a little too late, but if you're still deciding this should help you! I have had both of them, each for a pretty long time. I upgraded to the LG840G because there seemed to be so many more pros.
    LG800G: Pros- Touchscreen phone, 2 megapixel camera/video, bluetooth, browser, able to download apps/games, Triple minutes for life, mp3- only with micro sd card (2gb only), doesn't eat up minutes
    LG 840G: Pros- Capitative Touchscreen (so much easier), comes with a 2gb micro SD card, more personalized, same camera-but can be much better at times, bigger, wifi,
    LG 800G: Cons- Touchscreen is hard to work with but you get used to it eventually, bad camera, hard to type when you're trying to type fast, small, screen is easy to scratch,
    LG 840G: Cons- Eats minutes fast-but only if you accidentally make a mistake with the wifi, email is hard to set up sometimes,

The texting for the LG800G is okay. You eventually get used to it. I like the phone because it vibrates when you touch it, and it makes texting almost easier. For the 840G, though, it's much easier with more space provided. You do not have to use Auto Correct. You can personalize the settings for texting.
    There are a lot of games to get, and if you download Opera Mini you can get some free games. Both can get them, but it's easier to search for apps and games on the LG840g since there is wifi-which works great most times.
    I would definitely go for the LG840G overall. It is so much better and easier to work with. It has better reception, for me at least! On Amazon, it sells for only $40, when on the Tracfone website the LG800G is $50! Wow!
    Don't worry about the lengthy post, I'm the same way!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info.

Carriers
    Verizon
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    It sounds like the OP has already made a decision, but for anybody else, here's my 2 cents worth. I've had the 800G for a while now, and while I've never had any major problems, it HAS frozen on me a couple times, to the point where I had to remove the battery to reset it. Other times, when trying to recover from an intentionally locked screen the Send button would not wake the phone up, pressing the Lock button would cause a power reset instead. Even when everything is working "correctly" the resistive screen makes me crazy. I find myself opening messages or contacts or making calls when all I wanted to do was navigate farther down in the list.

With the addition of the wifi feature, the additional SD space and the capacitive screen, (and the increasingly frequent lockups) I've been seriously thinking about getting the 840G.

Lisme, someplace in here you were explaining the difference between CDMA? and GSM?. If I had to guess, I'd say the 800G is GSM. Do you have any idea which either or both phones are?
    Thanks,
    Andy

p.s. Thanks to all who participated in this thread. It was interesting.

Carriers
    Verizon
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I just checked Amazon, and they have "LG 840G Prepaid Phone (Net10)" for $34. What's the significance of Net 10 vs Tracfone?

They also have a white one, instead of black, but... I dunno... It just looks wrong.

I tried to make that a link, but the forum wouldn't allow it. How many posts do I need to make? ... oops... guess three isn't very many. I guess that's understandable.
    Last edited by SampleAndy; 06-12-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: oops...

Carriers
    Verizon
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

Assistance?

Hi SampleAndy! This is Mia from NET10 Wireless.NET10 is one of the brands associated with TracFone Wireless, Inc. We are companies under one umbrella offering different service plans.

OK... maybe I should have specified DIFFERENCE instead of SIGNIFICANCE... It still reminded me about the old joke about Microsoft and the lost helicopter. and why make it a PM?

Feedback Score
    CDMA and GSM are two different strategies for handling traffic. Verizon and Sprint are examples of CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile are examples of GSM. GSM requires a sim card in order to fully program the phone. CDMA has the programming necessities built in.

Nowadays with Tracfones, you can tell which is which by the model number ending in G or C. This is handy because you will have a clue as to which underlying carrier you will get. A C phone is likely to end up on Verizon. A G phone will be either AT&T or T-Mobile depending on which sim is installed.

You cannot reprogram a C phone into a G phone and vice versa. They are just two different animals.

If you prefer a particular carrier, you have to choose a compatible handset and also be in a compatible zip code for coverage.

I can't explain the price difference between Tracfone and Net10 handsets, unless it has to do with how many are made (economy of scale).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast