Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: if I ask, will Mobi turn off the unadvertised pay-per-use data "feature" for me?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13
    Feedback Score
    0

    if I ask, will Mobi turn off the unadvertised pay-per-use data "feature" for me?

    Hi all. I'm using a Samsung Gravity Touch feature phone on Mobilicity's $25 ("Unlimited Starter") plan. My plan doesn't include data.

    A couple weeks ago, someone accidentally pressed the "Camera" button on my phone. I was within Mobilicity's coverage area at the time. The "satellite" indicator icon appeared showing that the phone was acquiring a GPS signal. I ignored the icon. I quit the camera. I noticed the "3G" indicator's icon was red, which means that the phone was connected to the 3G network. Strange.

    That day, Mobilicity deducted $0.59 from my account's wallet for "GPRS" data usage, even though I don't have a data plan and so shouldn't be able to use data on my phone.

    A post by Ago Vino Verita inspired me. I now suspect that this is what happened. When the camera button was pressed, my phone requested assisted-GPS (AGPS) service from the network. Even though I have no data plan, instead of refusing, Mobilicity provided the service and started charging me for it.

    I haven't contacted Mobilicity about the problem, nor have I requested a chargeback from my credit-card issuer. After all, it's only $0.59. Instead, I temporarily put my phone in airplane mode. Then I pressed "Camera", tapped "Setup", and set "GPS Connection" option to "off".

    1. Do you have a Mobilicity plan without data? If so, have you ever been charged for AGPS service even while you were well within Mobilicity's coverage area?

    2. I'm not sure why Mobilicity would provide AGPS service to users with no data plan. Maybe it's so that the phone can send location information if the user calls 9‑1‑1. Fine; that's worth paying money for. But phones are more likely to request AGPS service for other reasons, such as to get location information for a camera app; therefore, it'd be rude for Mobilicity to charge money for AGPS service. Can you think of any other reason why Mobilicity would provide AGPS service to users without a data plan?

    3. I don't see any mention of AGPS service fees or pay-per-use in-network data-service fees on Mobilicity's "Additional Features" webpage. So is it legal for Mobilicity to charge fees for AGPS service? Why or why not?

    I thank you in advance.
    Last edited by unforgettableid; 02-20-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Rewriting thread's subject line to reflect what I have learned.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    109
    Feedback Score
    0
    That's a good question.. Have you definitively determined it was a DATA/AGPS charge?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    947
    Feedback Score
    0
    When you say you have no data plan, what you actually mean is that you are on pay as you go data right?
    This is interesting, but needs more investigation.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,491
    Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0

    Wallet "GPRS" data charges for non-roaming users w/ no data plan: are they for AGPS?

    No data plan = pay as you go data. It has always been like that.

    Sent from my SGH-I317M using HowardForums

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,645
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by unforgettableid View Post
    That day, Mobilicity deducted $0.59 from my account's wallet for "GPRS" data usage, even though I don't have a data plan and so shouldn't be able to use data on my phone.

    Who told you that? If you have no data plan, this really means that you have a pay-per-use data plan. Many camera applications on phones these days add geotag information to the picture files so that users can know where they were located when the pictures were taken. That process requires the use of the phone's GPS capabilities and because phones do use the internet for AGPS unless you prevent them from doing so, I'm certain that you did use your data connection.

    You do raise some interesting questions about the use of AGPS for the purposes of 911 calls. However, it has always been every Mobilicity customer's choice whether to use data or not, with the exception of events of customers accidentally loading a data application. If you don't want to use data, disable it from within your phone's setting menus. There are many uses for AGPS, including: mapping applications, targeted advertising, search results tuned towards your current location, camera applications, etc.

    If you have money in "My Wallet" and you do anything that uses your data connection, you absolutely will be charged. You ask why they allow that? It's for the purpose of the company making money.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILICITYSTC View Post
    That's a good question.. Have you definitively determined it was a DATA/AGPS charge?
    It definitely was a data charge: the My Account website says it was for "GPRS". My phone's camera uses GPS by default, and my phone includes AGPS technology, so I suspect the charge was for AGPS-related data service.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote73 View Post
    When you say you have no data plan, what you actually mean is that you are on pay as you go data right?
    Quote Originally Posted by xtachx View Post
    No data plan = pay as you go data. It has always been like that.
    Oh. bluenote73, xtachx, I thank you for informing me of this fact. I didn't know it until you mentioned it that "no data" actually means "pay-per-use data".

    Mobilicity's website doesn't currently seem to mention the fact. But I have now edited Wikipedia's "Mobilicity" article, so at least that article mentions the fact. I have also posted a complaint on Get Satisfaction, and tweeted a copy to @mobilicity.

    Quote Originally Posted by computergeek541 View Post
    If you have money in "My Wallet" and you do anything that uses your data connection, you absolutely will be charged. You ask why they allow that? It's for the purpose of the company making money.
    4. Is pay-per-use data at $1.50 per megabyte ever worth using?

    5. If I request it, will Mobilicity reconfigure their systems to stop me from using pay-per-use data? Or must I instead follow Ago Vino Verita's instructions?
    Last edited by unforgettableid; 02-20-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added more information. Fixed a link.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,491
    Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0

    Wallet "GPRS" data charges for non-roaming users w/ no data plan: are they for AGPS?

    You dont have to request them. Just change the apn settings in your phone. Change the apn from wap.davewireless.com to wap.davewireless.com.invalid . Just change it to anything else and your phone wont connect.

    Ofc getting a dataplan is also a solution - and it gives you access to the internet on the go.

    Sent from my SGH-I317M using HowardForums

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13
    Feedback Score
    0
    xtachx: thank you for the suggestions.

    I'm using a Samsung Gravity Touch feature phone. The network-profiles menu lists two APNs. The phone lets me create more APNs, but doesn't seem to let me edit or delete either of the two APNs that are already shown on the list.

    I started a thread inquiring whether my phone and Mobilicity can send geolocation data to 9-1-1. We'll see what replies I get. If my phone and Mobilicity can indeed send such data, and if my phone uses AGPS to acquire such data, then I'll want to stay on pay-per-use data anyhow.

    I definitely don't want a data plan.
    Last edited by unforgettableid; 02-20-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Adding information.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13
    Feedback Score
    0
    A) Nobody's yet replied to my thread about 9-1-1 and geolocation. B) But in the meantime, I haven't been hit with any more pay-per-use data charges.

    I think that, for as long as the above A) and B) both remain true, I'm gonna leave pay-per-use data on my account and maybe $15 or so in my account's wallet.

    But pay-per-use data is very expensive compared to ordinary data plans. And Mobilicity still doesn't mention their pay-per-use data charges on their "Additional Features" webpage. (Please visit Twitter, read my newly updated tweet, and retweet it.) Maybe it's because Mobilicity doesn't feel obligated to advertise their pay-per-use data charges that they feel free to keep pay-per-use data rates so high.

    So if I do get hit with more pay-per-use data charges, maybe I will call and complain. If they don't refund the charges, maybe I'll take the matter to the BBB, to the government, to small-claims court, to mandatory arbitration, or to my credit-card issuer -- though I might first read Mobilicity's terms and conditions to see if the terms explicitly allow pay-per-use data charges.

    But for now, I think I will do nothing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6,491
    Phones
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy Note 2
    Nexus One
    Carriers
    1-800-bloodbath-mobility
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by unforgettableid View Post
    xtachx: thank you for the suggestions.

    I'm using a Samsung Gravity Touch feature phone. The network-profiles menu lists two APNs. The phone lets me create more APNs, but doesn't seem to let me edit or delete either of the two APNs that are already shown on the list.

    I started a thread inquiring whether my phone and Mobilicity can send geolocation data to 9-1-1. We'll see what replies I get. If my phone and Mobilicity can indeed send such data, and if my phone uses AGPS to acquire such data, then I'll want to stay on pay-per-use data anyhow.

    I definitely don't want a data plan.

    You should make a new APN, and then change the settings for your phone to use the new fake APN that you make.

    9-1-1 can use geolocation from dumbphones with no data. (Rogers customers without a data plan gets no access to the internet). But you should send an email to mobi and ask.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    8,782
    Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: if I ask, will Mobi turn off the unadvertised pay-per-use data "feature" for me?

    Mobilicity won't change anything on your plans. They expect you to just get a different plan. You'll have to rely entirely on your phone.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using HowardForums
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

    Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-16-2012, 05:12 PM
  3. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM
  4. EVDO Unlimited Data plan: "The Solution" for rural areas?
    By Redsmurf in forum TELUS Mobility
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 06:42 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 11:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks