Thread: Thoughts on the Motorola "M"?

Device(s)
    Droid 2 Global
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Thoughts on the Motorola "M"?

Apple still working out some kinks in the iPhone 5.... and being handcuffed to iTunes (why I was never a fan of any iPhone I've owned) ... stumbled on this Motorola M. Ignored it at first - but the form factor is great (almost same size as the iPhone 5... having had most all the new 'droid based phones... I'm getting a little tired of them becoming mini-tablets... at 5"+ height, 2.6-2.8" wide, etc.

Plus the specs look great -- same processor as the Razr Maxx HD I have on my backup line (1.5GHz dual-core) - decent camera and Motorola generally tops most in RF..

Anyone have one and any thoughts to share on it? even some reviews I've read are all good... and getting the latest OS updates.

is there something I'm missing? (btw, video play back - e.g. screen size is a non-factor.. I only watch things on the Maxx HD if I *have* to - or it's some youtube clip.

so the main questions (aside from any commentary you'd like to add):

1) how is the RF/Signal?
    2) how is the pop3 email (i.e. same as all the other 'droid phones? and does it support push? vs. polling?)

thanks,
    damon

btw have had the iPhone 5 and I forgot how much I hate having to deal with iTunes.

Device(s)
    Moto Z Force
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm surprised and sorry that you haven't gotten a response to your question by now. In January I got a Razr HD and my son got a Razr M. Both of us are very pleased with our respective phones, my son has smaller hands and is very happy with the smaller form factor. Although the battery is smaller and there is less memory with the M, neither restriction seems to bother him much. We both charge our phones overnight so that we start our days with full charges. Neither of us have had a problem with the phone running low in a single day.

As you commented, hardware wise, the phones are basically identical. They have the same processor and run the same software. The M, the HD and the HD Maxx will all upgrade to jellybean v4.1.1

Battery and memory are the main differences, along with a smaller battery, the M has only 8 gig of internal memory and a 4.3" display. Phone performance appears to be equal and the pop3 email should be the same that you have on the HD Maxx.

Device(s)
    Motorola Razr M
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've had my Razr M for about a week now and I am really liking it, one advantage over the Maxx HD phone is that it is the same processor driving a smaller amount of pixels due to the lower resolution of the screen, so in some situations there will be a performance advantage.

As far as reception, I can't speak too much to that just yet as I haven't had the phone very long and I live in an excellent coverage area. I do hear the Razr M's radio's aren't as good as some other phones, the original Razr (maxx) included. But so far I've had no complaints as far as where I live. It may be worth some googling on your part to look into this some more.

As far as Pop3, haven't tried it. My phone updated to the latest 4.1.2 Jelly Bean available to the Razr M without problem.

Device(s)
    Maxx VE, E815, Razr V9m, Moto Driod, Moto Droid X, Droid Bionic, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid Razr Maxx HD
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm using my Razr M through the work week and Maxx HD on weekends. Size and wear-n-tear are the main reasons. I have 32 Gig storage cards in both and like to keep both units up to date with the same apps. with the smaller internal memory I am getting the "running out of storage space" on the "M". I am using Root Explorer to move files from the SDCARD0 folder to SDCARD1 folder. It frees up enough memory space for apps to update successfully for a while. The free space is only 557 mb out of 8 gig. Anybody know other files in the main directory that can be moved to the External sd1 card?