Thread: iPhone 5 BYOP plan. So confused! Please help

Feedback Score

iPhone 5 BYOP plan. So confused! Please help

So, I am a newbie with all this. Not very technical. Depended on my kids, who have grown up and are now away from home. I no longer have kids on my plan so I finally decided to purchase my first unlocked iPhone5 and go to a $50 month to month, no contract plan. Bought a GSM phone, as I travel outside the country. I think I use between 1-2 GB. But here is the problem...
    I thought I could just walk into a place that advertises no-contract month to month plans. I would have bought Straight Talk but they don't offer a nano sim if you don't buy the iPhone5 from them. Other than T Mobile at $69.99, every store I go into, and website I look at, says that they don't offer the nano SIM card the iPhone5 takes. It has been sitting on my counter for 10 days. And then i uncovered all kinds of other issues and questions... who is really unlimited, when you get throttled, who really has the best service. I am so frustrated and stressed! I find myself paralyzed here. Anyone know who or where to go?

Carrier
    GSM: Whoever has the best deal!
    Feedback Score

iPhone5 BYOP plan. So confused! Please help

This is a very easy problem to solve...

All you need is an inexpensive SIM cutter which is widely available on places like eBay and Amazon. It looks like this:

A SIM cutter punches out a smaller SIM from a larger one. Some cutters are available to punch two different size SIM's (both micro and nano). Some only cut one size SIM typically going from full-size to either micro or nano.

I've cut at least a dozen full sized SIM's directly to nano for my iPhone 5 and all have worked perfectly. Do some searching on YouTube.com and Google.com for more information and to see examples of a SIM being cut.

Best regards,

John L.

Sent from an iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD!

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.32195/28.3821; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

It also doesn't sound like you've settled on a carrier and/or (in the case of ST) an underlying carrier. What'll it be, AT&T or T-Mobile, and from whom?

Feedback Score
    I live in Reno, NV and I need the one with the best coverage, I know. So I am asking the people I know who they have. Most all have AT&T but hate it and say the coverage is much spottier than their maps lead you to believe. I did a lot of research on providers. I looked at Net10, Simple Mobile, Straight Talk, T-Mobile, and AT&T. There were others, but these have Reno coverage. Most did not have nano sims but it sounds like I can learn how to get around that. Suppose I figure how to cut the sim down, I have heard I also have to worry about APN numbers, which I have no idea about, when they throttle, and if I can agree with their rules, which in one case says I will not own my phone number and they can take it away any time. I can't agree with that! Thank you, John, for helping me over the sim thing, and Jay C in Reno, too!

Phones
    nexus 4
    nexus 4
    Carriers
    solavei
    Feedback Score
    maybe u should try solavei

Feedback Score
    Not into the multi-level marketing part

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoelvr View Post
    So, I am a newbie with all this. Not very technical. Depended on my kids, who have grown up and are now away from home. I no longer have kids on my plan so I finally decided to purchase my first unlocked iPhone5 and go to a $50 month to month, no contract plan. Bought a GSM phone, as I travel outside the country. I think I use between 1-2 GB. But here is the problem...
    I thought I could just walk into a place that advertises no-contract month to month plans. I would have bought Straight Talk but they don't offer a nano sim if you don't buy the iPhone5 from them. Other than T Mobile at $69.99, every store I go into, and website I look at, says that they don't offer the nano SIM card the iPhone5 takes. It has been sitting on my counter for 10 days. And then i uncovered all kinds of other issues and questions... who is really unlimited, when you get throttled, who really has the best service. I am so frustrated and stressed! I find myself paralyzed here. Anyone know who or where to go?
    just so you know - straight talk does not work outside the u.s.a

Feedback Score
    Thanks, October. I did not catch that! Looks like I will have to choose between T-Mo and AT&T. Was hoping to get around them!

Phone
    iPhone 5, 4, 3GS, 3, 1
    Carrier
    Verizon, Straight Talk (AT&T), T-mobile, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score

iPhone 5 BYOP plan. So confused! Please help

For international prepaid, there's Ekit and Piranha Mobile. I'm still waiting for my Piranha sim to arrive in the mail though, so can't vouch for them yet. There are other international prepaid sim mvno by searching "international prepaid sim" on google. So far, Piranha seem to have the cheapest per minute and per megabyte rates.

Ekit is more expensive but they give you AT&T and T-mobile coverage in the USA.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Pirahna's data rate is too high for USA try TRU a bit more on calls but the data is half the cost. You also get AT&T and T-Mobile coverage in USA.