Thread: New Straight Talk Terms and Conditions?

Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score

Question New Straight Talk Terms and Conditions?

Hey everybody. I'm new here so please bear with me for a moment.

I joined Straight Talk just before the new year and have renewed my service twice. When I bought my phone (Samsung Galaxy Proclaim) I read through the Terms and Conditions and was told by many that streaming audio was not allowed. However, upon reviewing their T&Cs after the new Net10 1.5 GB cap when running on ATT's network, I found these differences (in bold and underline):

OLD TERMS (pertaining to permitted and forbidden uses):

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE USE OF THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. STRAIGHT TALK MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES WILL (i) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) ALLOW ACCESS TO ALL THIRD PARTY SITES, OR (iii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE AGREEMENT OR THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES TERMS OF USE. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services, including without limitation, the use of email. You shall not use, nor permit others to use, the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.

NEW TERMS (pertaining to permitted and forbidden uses):

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging and (iii) Internet browsing and ordinary content Downloads. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plan MAY NOT be used for certain unauthorized uses that adversely impact our service. Examples of unauthorized uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uninterrupted mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of uninterrupted continuous video; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. A person engaged in unauthorized uses may have his/her service throttled and/or terminated. Customers will be provided notice and an opportunity to take corrective action with respect to unauthorized uses before their service is terminated.

7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE USE OF THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES AND/OR INTERNET ACCESS THROUGH YOUR WIRELESS PHONE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. STRAIGHT TALK MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES OR INTERNET ACCESS WILL (i) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) ALLOW ACCESS TO ALL THIRD PARTY SITES, OR (iii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE AGREEMENT OR THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES TERMS OF USE. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services and/or Internet access, including without limitation, the use of email. You shall not use, nor permit others to use, the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services or Internet access in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.

So it would seem to me, that the T&Cs are now more lenient in regards to streaming audio (eg: Pandora or IHeartRadio). Am I wrong in this thinking or is Straight Talk getting a little better in their limitations? (Also, please excuse the long post, but I wanted everyone to see the whole context.)
    Last edited by bobb4jesus; 02-21-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score

New Straight Talk Terms and Conditions?

Very interesting kinda points toward them keeping unlimited data.

Feedback Score

New Straight Talk Terms and Conditions?

A few bullet points indicating any such differences might prove useful for the easily confused....and slightly inebriated (in my case)....thirsty Thursdays....

Feedback Score
    Everyone seems to be of the opinion that just because Net10 AT&T data is going to be capped at 1.5GB starting Mar 1, that ST AT&T will automatically be capped at 1.5GB as well.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Net10 has made the official announcement, but ST has NOT made an official announcement as of this posting.

Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm not saying that there will be a set 1.5 GB limit on ST. But what it seems to be to me, is that they are now being more lenient on the issue of streaming audio. Hopefully this will mean that users can now use Pandora and such services (in moderation of course) without fear of throttle or cutoff.

Feedback Score
    You stated it in your first post.

Quote Originally Posted by bobb4jesus View Post
    Hey everybody. I'm new here so please bear with me for a moment.

I joined Straight Talk just before the new year and have renewed my service twice. When I bought my phone (Samsung Galaxy Proclaim) I read through the Terms and Conditions and was told by many that streaming audio was not allowed. However, upon reviewing their T&Cs after the new ATT network's 1.5 GB cap, I found these differences (in bold and underline):

OLD TERMS (pertaining to permitted and forbidden uses):

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE USE OF THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. STRAIGHT TALK MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES WILL (i) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) ALLOW ACCESS TO ALL THIRD PARTY SITES, OR (iii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE AGREEMENT OR THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES TERMS OF USE. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services, including without limitation, the use of email. You shall not use, nor permit others to use, the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.

NEW TERMS (pertaining to permitted and forbidden uses):

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging and (iii) Internet browsing and ordinary content Downloads. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plan MAY NOT be used for certain unauthorized uses that adversely impact our service. Examples of unauthorized uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uninterrupted mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of uninterrupted continuous video; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. A person engaged in unauthorized uses may have his/her service throttled and/or terminated. Customers will be provided notice and an opportunity to take corrective action with respect to unauthorized uses before their service is terminated.

7. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. IN ADDITION TO THE DISCLAIMERS SET FORTH IN THE AGREEMENT, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE USE OF THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES AND/OR INTERNET ACCESS THROUGH YOUR WIRELESS PHONE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. STRAIGHT TALK MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES OR INTERNET ACCESS WILL (i) MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (ii) ALLOW ACCESS TO ALL THIRD PARTY SITES, OR (iii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE AGREEMENT OR THE STRAIGHT TALK MOBILE WEB SERVICES TERMS OF USE. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services and/or Internet access, including without limitation, the use of email. You shall not use, nor permit others to use, the Straight Talk Mobile Web Services or Internet access in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.

So it would seem to me, that the T&Cs are now more lenient in regards to streaming audio (eg: Pandora or IHeartRadio). Am I wrong in this thinking or is Straight Talk getting a little better in their limitations? (Also, please excuse the long post, but I wanted everyone to see the whole context.)

Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Ok, my fault. I did mean to state that Net10 had the new limit. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll get that edited.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I looked at the Terms and Conditions updated on January 30, 2013 and it has no change from your first quotation. What is the date of the Terms and Conditions in your second quotation?
    6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Plans may ONLY be used with Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone Equipment for person to person Voice Calls. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

The Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone Unlimited Plans are for individual use only and not for resale. Specifically, Straight Talk Unlimited services are provided solely for live dialogue between, and initiated by, two individuals for personal use and as otherwise described in this policy. Unlimited voice services may not be used for any other purposes, including, but not limited to, conference calling, monitoring services, data transmissions, transmission of broadcasts, transmission of recorded material, interconnection to other networks, telemarketing, autodialed calls, other commercial uses, or other connections that do not consist of uninterrupted live dialogue between two individuals. Straight Talk reserves the right to cancel or deactivate service, without notice, in order to protect the Carrier’s network from harm due to any cause including, without limitation, the excessive and/or improper use of Straight Talk service. Straight Talk reserves the right to deny or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone Straight Talk believes is using the Service in any manner prohibited above or whose usage, in Straight Talk’s sole discretion, adversely impacts the Carrier’s network or customer service levels. Straight Talk will presume you are engaging in a prohibited use in violation of these Terms and Conditions if in Straight Talk’s sole opinion, you are placing an abnormally high number of calls, or repeatedly placing calls of unusually long duration, or usage is harmful or disruptive to the Carrier’s network or services. If we determine, at our sole discretion, that you are using our Service in violation of these terms and conditions, or in any other manner that we deem to be unreasonable or excessive, then we may terminate individual calls, terminate your service or decline to renew your service. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Straight Talk reserves the right to deny service or deactivate or cancel existing service, to anyone for any reason at any time, in Straight Talk’s sole discretion. In the event of suspension for any other unauthorized usage, You will forfeit unused airtime and service and you will not be entitled to receive a refund for your phone or for any unused airtime and service.

7. STRAIGHT TALK WIRELESS HOME PHONE UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync. You are responsible for all activities undertaken by you using the Services. You shall not use, nor permit others to use the Service in a manner or for a purpose contrary to this Agreement.

© 2013 TracFone Wireless, Inc. Updated 1/30/13
    Here is Net10"s corresponding section:
    NET10 UNLIMITED PLAN INTENDED USE

​The NET10 Unlimited Plan may ONLY be used with a NET10 Phone for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the NET10 Mobile Web Portal and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the NET10 Mobile Web Store. The NET10 Unlimited Plan MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (“P2P”) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A customer engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her Service terminated without notice or a refund.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    © 2013 TracFone Wireless, Inc. Updated 1/30/13 - is what it says at the bottom of the T&C section, but it very clearly does not include the prohibition against the streaming audio.

On the Straight Talk home page it has a link to the T&C. I can't post a link so maybe someone can check it out. Maybe I'm going crazy.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is something strange going on on the Straight Talk website. I scrolled down once and saw what you reported. When I scrolled back up check it out again, it was back to the old rules. It is impossible to post permanent links from the Straight Talk website because all the pages are created dynamically. After a few hours, the link does not work anymore. I found it once again:
    iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of uninterrupted continuous video;
    When I scrolled back up, it had this:
    (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games;

Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What you might be seeing is the home phone section. I did see that the mobile phone section and the home phone section is not very clearly differentiated. But it is in the same T&C link. Further down is the home phone whereas the mobile is higher up.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    The Home Phone should not have anything at all about data usage. There should only be one instance of section 6 and 7 in the same document.

Carrier
    Straight Talk Wireless
    Feedback Score
    6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Plans may ONLY be used with Straight Talk Wireless Home Phone Equipment for person to person Voice Calls. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games;

Taken directly from their T&C link this morning at 5:58 AM. This section disallows audio streaming, but the mobile section does not appear to.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    i would say not,go buy what is in the paper tos,