Thread: UL Account holders - your help is requested

Feedback Score

UL Account holders - your help is requested

TC_Mits made a comment about customer service reps saying it was OK to tether without paying the MHS fee if you used a 3rd party tethering app.

If you have time please call VZW (800-922-0204) and ask them if you can use a 3rd party tethering application on your UL line without paying the MBC/MHS tethering fee. Post your results. Thanks.

Phones
    iPhone 5S
    Galaxy Nexus
    BlackBerry Curve, 8830
    Carriers
    at&t, Verizon
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappy View Post
    TC_Mits made a comment about customer service reps saying it was OK to tether without paying the MHS fee if you used a 3rd party tethering app.

If you have time please call VZW (800-922-0204) and ask them if you can use a 3rd party tethering application on your UL line without paying the MBC/MHS tethering fee. Post your results. Thanks.
    No good can come of this. I personally believe TC_Mits is correct, as do many, many others who have done exactly as he said for quite some time with no adverse results.

Further, posting results would also ascribe a level of knowledge and correctness to the customer service reps, which, frankly, I don't think is deserved.

Verizon's 4G network.

I live in California, not New York. I actually dislike New York.

Phones
    Motorola Droid 4 / Samsung 4S
    Droid 4 + Samsung 4S (current),
    Droid 2 Global, Motorola Krave ZN4, E815, V60i & ST7868w (in drawer)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    USCC (Roaming).
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork4me View Post
    No good can come of this. I personally believe TC_Mits is correct, as do many, many others who have done exactly as he said for quite some time with no adverse results.

Further, posting results would also ascribe a level of knowledge and correctness to the customer service reps, which, frankly, I don't think is deserved.
    Agreed. If we had a nickle for everything a CSR from some company or another told us that turned out not to be true we would have won a class action law suit. (A nickle is just about the payout the class would get from such a lawsuit ... with the lawyers getting more.)

Please don't harass the CSRs.
    Three places to look:
    Rules Search FAQ

ST3000 -> ST7868 + V.60i -> E815 -> Krave ZN4 -> Droid 2 Global -> Droid 4

Phones
    IPhone 5
    Verizon/Motorola W755
    AT&T Blackberry Bold 9700 for work
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

This is stupid.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I tethered 10 gigs using a 3rd party app... Didn't have a issue

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The customer service reps are idiots . Like they r gonna give you a real answer . Your kidding me right ? Their script doesn't allow them to lol

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score

Re: UL Account holders - your help is requested

I was told by store reps it is okay to use third party tether apps like foxfi.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Feedback Score
    Zappy - It really is time for you to stop obsessing over this topic don't you think?

Feedback Score
    No good can come of this.
    If a large percentage of the VZW reps stated that tethering for free is allowed is there a common law argument that might override the ToS language? Maybe a "course of performance" or "usage of trade" combined with "verbal amendment" argument?

I personally believe TC_Mits is correct, as do many, many others who have done exactly as he said for quite some time with no adverse results.
    Which means you think Matt Wood is wrong. Where do you think Matt got it wrong?
    Last edited by Zappy; 02-22-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    I do not understand the point of this thread?

Who really cares what the CS reps say anyway? They also told me I can upgrade my line w/subsidy and keep unlimited, which is a clear lie....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
    I do not understand the point of this thread?
    See the prior post.

Phone
    HTC ONE M8
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    The bigger question for rooted users which there are many is, is it ok to use the hotspot for free? Works much better than any third party app. As for the reps, I don't waste much time talking to them as they seem to all give wrong info most of the time. I've been flying under the radar for the past fourteen months or so and not planning on changing anything at this stage of the game. The definition of "unlimited" is " not restricted in terms of number, quantity or extent." Some synonyms: " boundless, limitless, infinite."
    I signed up for an unlimited data plan years ago and as a matter of fact the "reps" pushed me onto it. I'm sure they made more commission for that. I shall continue to enjoy my " limitless boundless, infinite" data as I see fit since that's what I signed up for. If Verizon decides its in their best interest to reneg on their end at some point then I may have a decision to make, but until then.......I shall continue enjoying my unlimited plan.
    @zappy, you got to much extra time on your hands or what? I believe I have to agree with an above poster that your obsessing a bit to much over this. Is the problem that you don't have a UL plan ? Or are you just the data police wanting to control others and there Internet habits? Your like the bulldog that won't let go. Maybe you should get a job as a Verizon rep or better yet a Verizon data cop policing the data usage and making sure no one goes over with out paying some consequences. Sheesh!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    The bigger question for rooted users which there are many is, is it ok to use the hotspot for free?
    According to the ToS the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by cbreze View Post
    Is the problem that you don't have a UL plan ?
    I have 2 UL lines and hope VZW continues to honor them. Tethering for free and consuming 100s of GB is great for one person. Do you think VZW will keep UL plans active if 1000s of UL account use 100GB/mo? How about 100,000 or 1,000,000 accounts? At what point must they pull the plug on UL plans because the system cannot handle the traffic? This is a point over looked when a self serving bias enters the equation.
    Last edited by Zappy; 02-22-2013 at 03:26 PM.

Phone
    HTC ONE M8
    Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Tethering for free and consuming 100s of GB is great for one person. This is a point over looked when a self serving bias enters the equation.
    Why do you assume we're using hundreds of GB's? All one needs to use is anything over 2GB to be classified as a high data user by Verizon. ( a joke in itself) The top 5% they call it. Just because we have a UL account doesn't mean we're abusing it to the point of hundreds of GB per month. How about 3 or 4? is that abuse? only if its with a third party tether app or hacked hotspot eh? As for self serving bias look in the frickin' mirror. Your the one who's been spouting from some self serving pedestal for many weeks about how anyone using a 3rd party tether app is breaking tos. Look at zappy, he's holier than thou , plays by Verizon's exact rules and if you don't play that way also, prepare to be condemned by zappy. Data is data no matter how you slice it or use it or by what means. That's why it will never bother me to go over Verizon's line in the sand by a gig or two or ten. If unlimited is defined as infinite and I'm only using ten or less, I hardly think that is abuse and it makes no diff what vehicle im driving to get there. i understand your argument that it breaks tos technically, so what? it's "X" amount of data and whats the diff how you get there? You can argue your point forever if that's important to you, but I'm done with this thread.