Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nexus 4 on net10?

Feedback Score

Nexus 4 on net10?

Anyone using a nexus 4 on net10? Going to get one soon and need to line up some service. Don't want a contract. Really don't want to risk losing my number (which seems like a threat on ST). Any feedback?

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Net10 is working great for me. Setting up the account and APN setting, however, wasn't fun. I was not able to activate my SIM online. It simply wouldn't work. I tried calling and the phone just rang and rang. Finally, I enrolled in their forums. I asked for help and VERY quickly got a response from a Net10 agent who told me that she could help me via private messaging. You have to post 5 messages to their forums before you can receive private messages. Once I jumped through all of those hoops, things went fairly quickly. She asked for my phone number, called me, and that had me up in about 10 minutes. The APN settings on the website didn't work for me. Again I asked for help in the forums and got help very quickly.

Right now, I have 2 Nexus 4 phones. I'm trying out prepaid service with T-Mobile and Net10. T-Mobile is definitely faster, but with Net10, I have 4 bars of service in my workplace which is notorious for BAD reception. I've had Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. I got extremely limited reception with all those carriers.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Net10 and Straight Talk are owned by the same Company and use the same CS. So if one has a noted problem than so does the other. I have never lost my phone number after many years of switching around. It helps to be informed and have the insider phone numbers to the better CS if a problem does occur.

Feedback Score
    Alacrity,
    would you mind sharing what your APN settings are? I joined the Nexus 4 on Net10 squad a week ago and agree, APN settings are not fun....and have searched and tried about 6 or 7 different ones with zero luck on obtaining the complete package.
    My currents settings that get me 90% there (missing the ability to receive multi-media messages...i can send, but not receive):

Name: NET10
    APN: tfdata
    Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    Port: 80
    Username: Not Set
    Password: Not Set
    Server: cingulargprs.com
    MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
    MMS Port: Not Set
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: Not Set
    APN type: default,supl,mms
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4

appreciate your time.

Feedback Score
    I'm successfully sending and receiving MMS.

This are my settings.

Name: Net10

APN: tfdata

MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com

MMS proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com

MMS port: 80

mcc: 310

mnc: 410

auth type: none (But pap or chap worked too)

APN type: I left it at none set.

apn protocol: IPv4

Bearer: unspecific.

Also i noticed that some ROM's have an MMS server address coded into them on the mms.apk, so check out the MMS app settings. Let me know if my settings work for you.
    Last edited by Febby; 03-09-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Feedback Score
    Frebby....
    I appreciate your response but sadly your settings didn't not provide me with the ability to receive picture messages. Being new to the prepaid world...I'm amazed with how many different APN settings there are. If anyone else would like to share their settings, I'd appreciate it. Again, I'm using a Nexus 4 with the ability to talk/data/text/send photos....but I can not receive photos.
    Thanks all in advance.

Feedback Score
    You should check out the MMS.apk. i had to use an internation version MMS.apk for my ATT samsung skyrocket because the mms apk had an mmsc server address coded into it that was "http://mmsc.vnet.mobi/" and I couldn't change it so its worth checking the setting while inside the messenger.

Edit: Check out this post on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=28

They claim that fixed it for them on the nexus 4 (:

Feedback Score
    DirtyGoats,

I now have 3 Nexus 4 phones (Nexii) activated on Net10.

1) My first phone was a nightmare. I bought a Net 10 activation kit at Best Buy and used the ATT micro sim and attempted to activate on the Net10 activation page. . No go - "sim is not a Net10 sim." Called the number on the card and was on hold for hours. Finally found the Net10 support forums and eventually hooked up with a support rep. She called me and I told her that I had a sim and wanted to activate using a credit card. Long story short, she DID activate my phone, but accidentally gave me a Straighttalk account. I didn't know that. Through the forum, I was given APN settings that worked great. Why did I stay with Net10 after this nightmare? My coverage is great. I've used Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile over the last 6 years. In my workplace, none gave me good coverage. Deep in the building there was no coverage at all. Now, I have full bars everywhere. When I received an email from Straighttalk, I again went to the forum and eventually learned that I wasn't actually on Net10. Activation process took about 2 hours. Ugh.

2) Based on the great coverage, I ordered 3 new sims. This time around, I used the Net10 Facebook page for the first 2 phones. The rep told me that I could NOT use a credit card to activate the phones. I had to go to the grocery store and buy the prepaid cards. Activation went smoothly, but I had no data. No Internet or mms. I was using the same APN settings from my Straighttalk line. I tried the APN settings on the Net10 site and they work fine:

NAME net10
    APN tfdata
    MMSC mms-tf.net
    MMS PROXY mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS PORT 80

3) When my son came home from school, I bought a new Nexus off Craigslist and a new prepaid card. Attempted to use online activation and this time, was finished with everything, including porting old number in less than 10 minutes. Used the APN settings above.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    Add h t t p : // before the mms in the MMSC field above. Remove spaces. Forum wouldn't allow me to post links.

Feedback Score
    Alacrity,
    Again I appreciate the responses....actually I appreciate them from all of you.
    Your 1st point catches me off gaurd because I too bought my Net10 activation kit from best buy. Utilized the AT&T micro sim, like you, but did successfully get my card activated through the net10 website and Verizon number ported in under an hour. Thankfully that part went well. So I wonder if there is any chance that I could potentially be on a straighttalk plan...idk. The settings that you provided are what I'm currently trying, but with zero luck on receiving MMS messages....I can do everything else but that. A follow up question to your settings above: what values do you have for MCC, MNC, Authentication Type, APN Type, APN protocol and APN roaming protocol?
    Appreciate all the time and efforts.

DirtyGoats

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Remember you don't want ANY proxy, just MMS proxy. Anyways, here's my settings they work fine:

Name: Net10
    APN:tfdata
    Proxy: Not set
    Port: Not set
    Username: Not set
    Password: Not set
    Server: Not set
    MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
    MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: Not set
    APN type: default,mms,supl,hipri,internet
    APN protocol: IPv4
    APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    APN enabled
    Bearer Unspecified

Feedback Score
    Update...
    what a bloody mess. I was on the phone for an hour and 27mins....The CS changed my provisions on his end so many times that i had to restart my phone 12+ times...did a hard factory reset....had to restart my phone another 12+ times...to finally hear the rep say "i'm sorry but i'm out of options to assist you...it has to be a setting on your phone...or a defective phone."

Soooooo......is there anything else that i'm missing...or am i SOL?

DirtyGoats

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Did you copy the APN settings I'm using exactly? They work perfectly for me. Delete all other APN profiles on your phone, restart, and try it.

Feedback Score

Re: Nexus 4 on net10?

Jordan,
    I've double checked my triple check...I'm absolutely lost. The above APN is all I'm running with. Phone has been restarted...reformatted...and still nothing.
    I'm gonna try to root it tonight and install a different MMS.apk to see if that fixes things.

This makes me feel like I'm missing some option on the phone that's not checked properly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    I have 2 nexus 4's on net10 working perfectly.

Hope this works but attaching Screenshots of my APN. Only 1 exists called net10 in both my phones. Data works 99.99% of the time. MMS works about 90%. Sometimes a photo won't send/receive but an hour later will work. This is rare but have noticed it happens from time to time.

Name:  Screenshot_2013-03-11-15-17-51.png
Views: 6314
Size:  60.3 KBName:  Screenshot_2013-03-11-15-18-06.png
Views: 5852
Size:  76.8 KBName:  Screenshot_2013-03-11-15-18-02.png
Views: 6164
Size:  71.4 KB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast