Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: LG Optimus Showtime now available

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RawhideYeeehaw View Post
    This phone costing as much as the 16gb LG Nexus 4 is a joke. Don't spend $349 on that phone from WalMart.
    It's only $249, but I get your point. And I would love to get a Nexus 4 if they still sold the AT&T sim card...and no I'm not paying $60 for one off eBay.

Feedback Score

Awesome phone!

I'd like to chime in and clear up a few things, and hopefully answer some questions as well as dispell some inaccuracies.

First, Straight Talk does sell phones that are on other carriers, renamed of course (known as 'aka' or 'also known as' phones), and may charge more for them. But cuz that same contract-carrier phone WITHOUT signing or extending your contract and you'll pay double or much more! Example: Galaxy S3 with 2-year contract at verizon is about $199.00...without contract it's $599.00. I think it's unreasonable to expect a pre-pay company to low-ball the price of a phone when all they're making off you, the customer, is $45.00/month, but of course they don't keep all that because Verizon isn't donating the use of their towers for free! This phone is $249.96 at Walmart, which is very reasonable considering I have NO CONTRACT to worry about and I can buy a new phone whenever I choose. And $249 is what most new phones cost on contract carriers WITH a new or re-newed 2-year contract! And lets not forget the huge phone bills that come with those contracts! And the phone that someone posted a pic of, the one for $349, that's the Samsung Galaxy SII which is a GSM device and runs on AT&T which is not as good coverage as Verizon.

Now here is some other info that might answer some questions and address some concerns. This phone does NOT have a dual-core processor, but it's a 1Ghz processor and it's fast. You want better? Sign that contract and enjoy the huge monthly bill for the next two years, and if you want an early upgrade you can happily pay $500-$600 for the phone. Yes, they 'dumb down' the 'aka phones' for pre-pay, but it's a small sacrifice that is barely noticeable unless you just HAVE to have the latest and greatest...in which case you wouldn't be reading this in the first place. Having said that, I'm in the category of wanting the best, but also rational enough to realize that my truck payment trumps a phone bill of equal 'ouch' factor.

This phone (aka LG L7 P700, LG L86C, and from what I've been told, also the LG Splendor) is simply awesome for what it's got, what it does, and what it costs! It DOES run off Verizon's network and THAT is NOT dumbed-down, you get the same exact service as those paying for their monthly contract. I've heard people say that if the network is busy it will drop pre-pay users in favor of contract users, but this is completely false. In fact, from the very mouth of Verizon, their network cannot tell the difference!

Someone also asked if this would be an upgrade from a Proclaim...um...HELL YEAH! In fact, I did just that, up til two weeks ago I had the Samsung Proclaim. Grew tired of the tiny screen, no flash on camera (not even auto focus either), and it was just too basic for my liking. It served it's purpose of getting me off of Verizon's contract but keeping ON their network, so it is a great starter phone, but when I saw this in my Walmart, I couldn't whip out my wallet fast enough.

I actually went into Walmart to buy the Samsung Showcase (aka Samsung Fascinate), but this had replaced it, and while initially upset (huge Samsung fan here!), I quickly got over it when I opened the front flap and saw the size of this thing and read the description...5mp camera with flash and auto-focus, Android Ice Cream Sandwich, front facing camera, unlimited phone book entries and so much more that wasn't even listed on the package, one of notable mention is that this WILL record HD video (1280X720 aka 720p).

I was the second to buy this on the first day it was put out on the peg (the guy in electronics didn't think my small-town Walmart would even sell one, let alone both on the same day and subsequently can't keep them in stock!) Feb 23rd, so I've had it two weeks now and I can't put it down. I've honestly never been happier with any other mobile device ever. To me, this is worth every penny, and for $45/month it's a dream! It's very well built, very slim (.3"), huge screen, and nice display. The display would be REALLY awesome were it a AMOLED type like Samsung (Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode), but would probably cost more.

My overall rating on this phone is a 10, based on features, function, performance, ease of use, quality, design, look and feel...all for $45 a month. I doubt anyone would be disappointed.

Feedback Score
    One unrelated thing...can anyone tell me why it says 'Likes small screens' by my name? Couldn't be further from the truth...how can I change it?

After posting it changed to something else...what gives?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NYVET View Post
    ......snip

My overall rating on this phone is a 10, based on features, function, performance, ease of use, quality, design, look and feel...all for $45 a month. I doubt anyone would be disappointed.

How is the battery life? With normal use, how often do you have to charge it?

Feedback Score
    Battery life, as with any smartphone, isn't the greatest. But I don't think it's too bad considering the size of the screen and also I always keep the wi-fi, bluetooth and data on which uses the battery faster.
    Size matters...

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    One unrelated thing...can anyone tell me why it says 'Likes small screens' by my name? Couldn't be further from the truth...how can I change it?

After posting it changed to something else...what gives?
    It changes based on the amount of posts you have under your belt. Don't worry about it, no one really pays attention to it
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 6 64GB, Lumia 635, & LG L90: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4S & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); LG Mach: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    hey NYVET, I am strongly considering getting this phone according to different sites I been to it says the screen is LCD compared to the LED of the Galaxy phones. how good is the picture quality on this phone, from what I seen when I compared mine to the one at WM this weekend they are the same size and same screen which is nice. The one thing I wish the LG had was a bigger camera mine is a 8mp the LG is a 5, how good is the picture quality when you take pictures with it, I am sure it has a flash as well right?

Dave
    Signature under construction, expect delays

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: LG Optimus Showtime now available

Battery life, as with any smartphone, isn't the greatest. But I don't think it's too bad considering the size of the screen and also I always keep the wi-fi, bluetooth and data on which uses the battery faster.
    I have a Pantech Discover. 4.9" display. 1.5 dual core S4. 12.9 MP camera. Its a beast. Believe it or not, with GPS, Data on with occasional wifi, I've had it last on many occasions over 12 hours charge. I have screen shots but HOFO won't let me upload photos??? Always says too big even though its well under 100kb. Even on the "small version" option.

Sent from my PantechP9090 using HowardForums

Phone
    BlackBerry 10, Android,
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, AIO
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin.kelley View Post
    I have a Pantech Discover. 4.9" display.
    I had the Pantech Flex. Loved it! The only reason i sold it is that i bought a t-mobile LG L9. Id rather have the Pantech though.

Sent from my LG-P769 using HowardForums

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by wam View Post
    I had the Pantech Flex. Loved it! The only reason i sold it is that i bought a t-mobile LG L9. Id rather have the Pantech though.

Sent from my LG-P769 using HowardForums
    I first had a Burst. Loved it. Then went to the Flex. Loved it even more. Then I actually entered a online giveaway contest for the Discover. Forgot I even entered for a month until they called and told me I won and less than a week later, I had it on my doorstep.

Their actually good phones. And because its a Pantech and not some Samsung/HTC or any other well known brand, Their next to nothing priced on eBay brand new.

Sent from my PantechP9090 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Picture quality is great. Doubt you'd notice a difference. And yes, it has a flash.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    My boss got this phone. Looks just like my LG Optimus L9. I installed a bunch of apps and was playing around with it. It performed very well and was noticeably more responsive than the Samsung Exhibit II that I used to have, which also had a 1Ghz single-core processor.

Feedback Score
    Hey NYVET are you still around?

I have the proclaim and while I think it's a pretty good phone for the money I find the camera and the screen size points of frustration. So is the camera better than the Proclaim? I know it has more pixels or so they say but are the pictures really better? Does the auto focus work? Does it work in dim light? Will it work better with QR Codes?

Also is the screen at least as good as the Proclaim? I know it's larger but is it at least as sharp and bright and how is it in bright light outdoors. I'm outdoors a lot so that's important to me.

THX

Phones
    iPhone, LG Showtime, GS3, Motorola Atrix
    LG Optimus Showtime
    iPhone 4s
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by junk_jim View Post
    Hey NYVET are you still around?

I have the proclaim and while I think it's a pretty good phone for the money I find the camera and the screen size points of frustration. So is the camera better than the Proclaim? I know it has more pixels or so they say but are the pictures really better? Does the auto focus work? Does it work in dim light? Will it work better with QR Codes?

Also is the screen at least as good as the Proclaim? I know it's larger but is it at least as sharp and bright and how is it in bright light outdoors. I'm outdoors a lot so that's important to me.

THX
    Sorry I'm not NYVET but I can help answer some of your questions...As far as overall specs the Showtime is a lot better than the Proclaim. Focus feature works well, so it should do better with QR Codes, though I haven't gotten that app for my phone just yet. Even though it is an LCD screen, it's still nice and sharp. I have used it (tried) outside on sunny days, and I have to say its not recommended. You can barely see the screen, but then again, there aren't too many phones that do well in outdoor lighting. Hope I helped!

Feedback Score
    I'm still around... and hopefully I'll answer some of your questions. The camera is awesome! The picture quality is great, the autofocus works great, and I have no complaints with the screen resolution and sharpness, though that said, I found the screen on the Proclaim is a little sharper than this phone, but that would be the only advantage. I also had the Proclaim and the only thing I liked about it was the monthly bill. I have had this phone for several months now and I can tell you it is absolutely the best phone I have ever had, including all my previous contract phones. There are better phones out there, of course, but they come with that huge monthly bill and two year contract.

As far as visibility in bright conditions outdoors, its admittedly not the greatest. It does the job, but it certainly isn't a Samsung super AMOLED screen. That would be my only small complaint about this phone, but is far from a deal killer. Hope this helped.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast