Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Call Forwarding to a local Canadian number when in US - roaming and LD charges?

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Call Forwarding to a local Canadian number when in US - roaming and LD charges?

As the title says, under this scenario, while in US I would like to forward my Fido number to a local Canadian number. In question are the (potential?) charges triggered by incoming calls to my fido number. My expectation is that US ld and roaming charges should not exist.

When calling Fido about this I was given conflicting answers: from (1) no roaming fees and no long distance charges, to (2) both roaming and US ld charges apply.

What is the truth?

If option (2) applies - would it make a difference if, after preforming a call forward, fido SIM is not on US network any more - i.e. physically out of the phone?

Feedback Score

Re: Call Forwarding to a local Canadian number when in US - roaming and LD charges?

Assuming you have local 2500 minutes of call forwarding included in your plan or as an add on(2500 minutes) you can forward your calls to the Canada/US from Canada but you will be paying long distance at .35c or .45c a minute (depending on what the long distance rate on your plan is) in addition to having your minutes deducted from your 2500 minutes of local call forwarding. You will not pay any voice roaming charges of $1.50 + tax as long as like I said you initiate unconditional call forwarding when you are in Canada.

FYI. There have been threads in the Rogers Forums where people are saying you can initiate the unconditional call forwarding while in the US, if I were you I wouldn't try that but it's really up to you.

Sent from an unlocked Rogers LG Optimus G with LTE 2600MHz Band on the Shared Bellus LTE/HSPA + Network

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    thanks jattdesi I understand how cf works while I am in Canada but that's not what I am interested in.

Fido confirmed if cf is activated while I am traveling in the USA, roaming/long distance charges apply. Their explanation is that the call uses US carrier (on which cf was activated) and they get billed from the carrier, and hence the charges.

Also, if I am traveling to another country and cf to a local (non-Canadian) number the same story applies. I don't mind paying ld charges to Fido but roaming charges I do.

It is outrageous they don't want to implement cf through online account access (and avoid other carrier's charges), because they can not charge high roaming rates then.

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    ^If you initiate Unconditional Call Forwarding, this change is made at the switch in Canada, no matter where in the world you are located. No roaming charges would apply.

If you initiate Conditional Call Forwarding, then it won't matter where you activated it. Roaming charges will apply if you are out of Canada and CCF is used (e.g., if you use a 3rd party VoiceMail service such as YouMail in Canada which uses CCF, and you travel the the US, any calls that forward to YouMail will incur roaming charges).

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldIRC View Post
    ^If you initiate Unconditional Call Forwarding, this change is made at the switch in Canada, no matter where in the world you are located. No roaming charges would apply.

If you initiate Conditional Call Forwarding, then it won't matter where you activated it. Roaming charges will apply if you are out of Canada and CCF is used (e.g., if you use a 3rd party VoiceMail service such as YouMail in Canada which uses CCF, and you travel the the US, any calls that forward to YouMail will incur roaming charges).
    I've only ever activated conditional CF to my US number (while in Canada) and haven't incurred any roaming fees while away. My father forgot to activate CCF before crossing the border but did so about an hour into the US. I don't think he was charged roaming either (he might have activated unconditional CF).

If one activates CCF while in Cadana and then pulls the SIM before leaving, how could you ever be charged for roaming as your SIM would never be on a foreign network. Actually on one trip to Jamaica last year, I enabled CCF in Canada but left my SIM in until I arrived in Jamaica. I even received the text warning about roaming. I pulled the SIM shortly after and wasn't charged any roaming for the calls I received. The same applies while I was in Europe. I disabled data and data roaming in TO but left my SIM in until I obtained a local SIM so I was on the foreign networks. CCF was enabled in Canada and no roaming fees for that trip either.
    Unlocked Pentaband iPhone 5 (AWS), unlocked iPhone 4
    Unlimited airtime, Unlimited CAN/US long distance, Unlimited SMS to CAN/US wireless numbers
    2500 Call Forwarding minutes to CAN/US numbers
    CiD, 6GB
    Google Voice for visual voice mail with message transcription, conditional greetings, unlimited messages (vs 35 message cap), remote retrieval from any PC or phone, no auto-purge after 10 days and most importantly no $7-$8 charge.
    $53$65

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceredon View Post
    If one activates CCF while in Cadana and then pulls the SIM before leaving, how could you ever be charged for roaming as your SIM would never be on a foreign network.
    That's an obvious...come on

As far as I'm aware, CCF should incur roaming if your phone is on, and connected to a foreign network when the forwarding occurs as the call is being diverted to the roaming carrier, and then being sent back to wherever the call is being forwarded to. If you're not being charged for this in reality, then I'm glad to hear...but at $1.45 / min (USA roaming), it's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

When I go to away, I UCF all my calls to my VOIP.MS # (1 cent / min incoming, billed in 6 sec increments) and then let VOIP.MS forward the calls to the local # of wherever I'm going (outgoing rate / min -- billed in 6 second increments). So with ROAM Mobility, the total cost is 1.5 cents per / min (1 cent incoming + 0.5 cent outgoing / min -- 6 sec increments).

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Thanks WordIRC, is this an official information? I can not find it on http://www.fido.ca/web/content/addon/call_forwarding.

Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Zemaljac View Post
    Thanks WordIRC, is this an official information? I can not find it on http://www.fido.ca/web/content/addon/call_forwarding.
    According to Fido, roaming charges would apply

Outside the Fido network in Canada:

Regular roaming charges will apply. See our rates while traveling.

However, UCF and the way GSM works would prevent these charges from occuring from travelling...the UCF is initiated back in Canada, no matter where you are. I've first hand tested this w/o any issue.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    According to Fido, roaming charges would apply

Outside the Fido network in Canada:

Regular roaming charges will apply. See our rates while traveling.

However, UCF and the way GSM works would prevent these charges from occuring from travelling...the UCF is initiated back in Canada, no matter where you are. I've first hand tested this w/o any issue.
    Hey WorldIRC thanks for the clarification!!! btw it would make sense that Fido puts the information on their website. Or at least that CSRs are trained to know this.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do this all the time. If you setup UCF, you will see the symbol appear on your phone. The regardless of where you are, you do not pay for roaming for incoming calls. The UCF is setup at 'home' and thus the call won't be sent to your phone.

If you setup CCF and have your phone on while in the USA (or other country), then yes, you do pay roaming and long distance even if you do not answer the phone as the system as to find you...

I set up UCF before I leave and I have turned on my phone while in the US. The only way I incur roaming fees is if I turn my phone on and make a call or use data.

So if you don't want roaming, the easiest way to ensure that is to pull your SIM. Or activate UCF before leaving and and leave your phone in airplane mode (or wifi only).

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4, 3G, Sony Ericsson Z710i, Z600, T310
    Ericsson T18z, Cantel Amigo AT&T 3610
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    That's an obvious...come on

As far as I'm aware, CCF should incur roaming if your phone is on, and connected to a foreign network when the forwarding occurs as the call is being diverted to the roaming carrier, and then being sent back to wherever the call is being forwarded to. If you're not being charged for this in reality, then I'm glad to hear...but at $1.45 / min (USA roaming), it's not a risk I'd be willing to take.

When I go to away, I UCF all my calls to my VOIP.MS # (1 cent / min incoming, billed in 6 sec increments) and then let VOIP.MS forward the calls to the local # of wherever I'm going (outgoing rate / min -- billed in 6 second increments). So with ROAM Mobility, the total cost is 1.5 cents per / min (1 cent incoming + 0.5 cent outgoing / min -- 6 sec increments).
    Well, my phone did register on the foreign network but before I received calls the phone was "off" or rather the SIM was pulled. But the last network it was on was the foreign carrier.

Phones
    Unlocked Rogers Blackberry Q10 | LG Nexus-4 | Samsung Nexus-S
    Rogers SonyEricsson c510 (unlocked)
    Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB (unlocked)
    Carrier
    Fido | Rogers Prepaid | LycaMobile US | Bell | T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I do something similar with voip.ms except that I don't use Roam Mobility as my US cellphone carrier.
    Fido (monthly plan - personal/data): Novatel Wireless MC950D or Nokia CS-18

Fido (monthly): ZTE WF720 Wireless Home Phone

Rogers (pay as you go - Canadian prepaid): "Fido" Samsung Nexus-S

Rogers (monthly BIS data plan): Blackberry Q10 <- CANCELLED over Dispute

Lycamobile (US prepaid): Sony-Ericsson c510 or Sony-Ericsson w300i

T-Mobile (US prepaid): unlocked Fido iPhone 3GS 32GB or LG Nexus-4

Bell (tablet plan): LG Nexus-4

My Tech Blog

Carriers
    Fido
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you activate Conditional or Uncondtional Call Forwarding while you're connected to a US network(At&t, T-Mobile, etc.), you're charged roaming($1.45 per minute, no other charge applies) by Fido.

If you activate Conditional Call Forwarding(This service is only available for customers who have NO Voice Mail service with Fido) while you're connected to the Fido Network(You are in Canada) and then travel to the US, you're NOT charged roaming because Fido stops the call after 4 rings(20 seconds) and then forwards the call to the number you've selected. However, Fido may charge you $0.20 per minute for Call Forwarding if this feature is not included in your plan + Canadian LD charge may apply(1,2) if Canadian LD is not included in your plan + US LD charge may apply(3) if US LD is not included in your plan.

If you activate Uncondtional Call Forwarding while you're connected to the Fido Network(You are in Canada) and then travel to the US, you're NOT charged roaming because your phone will not ring as Fido is forwarding all of your calls to the number you've selected. However, Fido may charge you $0.20 per minute for Call Forwarding if this feature is not included in your plan + Canadian LD charge may apply(1,2) if Canadian LD is not included in your plan + US LD charge may apply(3) if US LD is not included in your plan.

(1)You've a Montreal number and you Forward your call to another Montreal number, No Canadian LD charge applies.
    (2)You've a Montreal number and you Forward your call to Toronto Number, Canadian LD charge applies.
    (3)You've a Montreal number and you Forward your call to New York City number, US LD charge applies.

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    My original question was activating unconditional CF outside of Fido's Network, so I will comment on that only.

What I have gathered from this thread so far is that Fido's official policy is the following:

Quote Originally Posted by FidoSeniorAgent View Post
    If you activate Uncondtional Call Forwarding while you're connected to a US network(At&t, T-Mobile, etc.), you're charged roaming($1.45 per minute, no other charge applies) by Fido.

Due to incompatibilities between official policy and GSM standard the following (temporarily) applies:

This is altogether not straightforward as nobody wants to rely on a system glitch. And this may change for worse anytime glitch is not a glitch anymore.

Carriers
    Fido
    Cantel AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Zemaljac View Post
    My original question was activating unconditional CF outside of Fido's Network, so I will comment on that only.

What I have gathered from this thread so far is that Fido's official policy is the following:

Due to incompatibilities between official policy and GSM standard the following (temporarily) applies:

This is altogether not straightforward as nobody wants to rely on a system glitch. And this may change for worse anytime glitch is not a glitch anymore.
    No incompatibilities in the examples you have provided. They're both correct! I'll rephrase my statement. If you're in the US and you go to your phone keypad and you activate unconditional CF (key in *21*10 digit number you want to forward you calls to# and press the call button), you're now charged Roaming ($1.45 per minute, billed by the minute) for each forwarded call. The reason why you're charged roaming in my example is because you told the US Network Provider to forward your calls and not Fido.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast