Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Straight Talk Customer Service

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    88
    Phones
    nokia 6010
    Samsung Eternity
    Samsung Rugby Smart
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Straight Talk Customer Service

    Or should i say, "lack of customer service".
    You can't get thru on the phone, and their help forum is a joke.
    Stayed on the line 2.5 hours and then the line went dead.
    I tried to pose a question on their forum and after 3 days of waiting for my posts to be "Approved", NOTHING. None of my posts have appeared.
    My problem is NO DATA on a Samsung Galaxy SII Branded for Straight Talk. Voice and Text work fine. I have tried all the fixes posted here on HowardForums, but can't change the APN settings. They are locked.
    On their forum, all fixes are SECRET. You have to talk with them via PM after you get 5 posts approved. If they would post what the fix is, they would have a lot less people trying to get an individual fix.
    I know they are a MVNO and don't have the resourses of Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint, but you would think they would at least sell a phone that works out of the box.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    621
    Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    The default APNs may be locked, but you should be able to create a new APN and then select it for use. Not sure why it won't work out of the box, but try adding a new apn with the values you found here and make sure you leave proxy blank, then select it for use.

    ST CS is pretty pathetic, about as low as it gets anywhere so good luck, hopefully you can solve this without them.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The West Coast of the U.S.
    Posts
    1,565
    Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you search the Google Play app store for "APN" you should find a number of apps that will allow you to delete APNs that are locked.

    Quote Originally Posted by stclair49 View Post
    Or should i say, "lack of customer service".
    You can't get thru on the phone, and their help forum is a joke.
    Stayed on the line 2.5 hours and then the line went dead.
    I tried to pose a question on their forum and after 3 days of waiting for my posts to be "Approved", NOTHING. None of my posts have appeared.
    My problem is NO DATA on a Samsung Galaxy SII Branded for Straight Talk. Voice and Text work fine. I have tried all the fixes posted here on HowardForums, but can't change the APN settings. They are locked.
    On their forum, all fixes are SECRET. You have to talk with them via PM after you get 5 posts approved. If they would post what the fix is, they would have a lot less people trying to get an individual fix.
    I know they are a MVNO and don't have the resourses of Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint, but you would think they would at least sell a phone that works out of the box.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.


    I no longer see messages from these users (and won't respond to them):
    pfoneguy, rcentros.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Arlington TX
    Posts
    751
    Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    0

    Re: Straight Talk Customer Service

    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    If you search the Google Play app store for "APN" you should find a number of apps that will allow you to delete APNs that are locked.
    That only works for some phones. After android 4.0 I believe, they made a change to the OS that doesn't allow 3rd party apps to edit or delete APN info. If I remember right the ST GS2 comes with 4.0.x out of the box.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    157
    Phone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    Straight Talk Customer Service

    I have always has good luck with their Facebook page customer support. Everything is done through email and they are fairly responsive.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL USA
    Posts
    61
    Feedback Score
    0
    I've had good luck calling 1-888-251-8164 Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,377
    Feedback Score
    0

    Straight Talk Customer Service

    It's these times where I chant in my head, "Only $45/mo, only $45/mo, only $45/mo"..... it makes it all worth it.

    Having said that, I think they should be more upfront about customer service than data...like shorten their CS hours but then actually give better service. For the money, it's mashed potatoes and gravy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    88
    Phones
    nokia 6010
    Samsung Eternity
    Samsung Rugby Smart
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well, after more "SECRET" private messages with Straight Talk, they are blaming Samsung for the problems. They say Samsung didn't put a method to change the APN in the phone software.
    But funny thing is, some work fine out of the box.
    If the software is the problem, why wouldn't an OTA update via WiFi clear it up?
    May have to return phone and choose one that actually works.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    3,196
    Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by stclair49 View Post
    Well, after more "SECRET" private messages with Straight Talk, they are blaming Samsung for the problems. They say Samsung didn't put a method to change the APN in the phone software.
    But funny thing is, some work fine out of the box.
    If the software is the problem, why wouldn't an OTA update via WiFi clear it up?
    May have to return phone and choose one that actually works.
    What model Samsung do you have. Every Samsung smartphone I'd had allowed the user to either add, edit the APN to suit the subscriber network. Samsung's feature phone are another story, ie, the flip phones that can be activated on GoPhone are almost impossible to manipulate the Internet Browser, for example, like using a browser other than MediaNet.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    3,196
    Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn744 View Post
    It's these times where I chant in my head, "Only $45/mo, only $45/mo, only $45/mo"..... it makes it all worth it.

    Having said that, I think they should be more upfront about customer service than data...like shorten their CS hours but then actually give better service. For the money, it's mashed potatoes and gravy.
    where's the main dish, grilled pork chop and grilled round Giorgia sweet onion. I agree, we can't expect highly trained professional Customer Service that has EE degree for $45.00/30 days and cheaper if you search online.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    88
    Phones
    nokia 6010
    Samsung Eternity
    Samsung Rugby Smart
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn744 View Post
    It's these times where I chant in my head, "Only $45/mo, only $45/mo, only $45/mo"..... it makes it all worth it.

    Having said that, I think they should be more upfront about customer service than data...like shorten their CS hours but then actually give better service. For the money, it's mashed potatoes and gravy.
    Their customer service is a strange mix of people. One person asks questions and receives prompt replies. Another waits days for answers.
    In my case it was one answer per day. And some days they ask the same question as the day before, disregarding the answer to the same question I gave them.
    I am giving up on Straight Talk.
    Their last response was a Samsung Support number. They said to call Samsung and get them to fix the phone.
    Returning the phone today.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore area
    Posts
    1,096
    Carriers
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by stclair49 View Post
    Their customer service is a strange mix of people. One person asks questions and receives prompt replies. Another waits days for answers.
    In my case it was one answer per day. And some days they ask the same question as the day before, disregarding the answer to the same question I gave them.
    I am giving up on Straight Talk.
    Their last response was a Samsung Support number. They said to call Samsung and get them to fix the phone.
    Returning the phone today.
    Wait, before you give up. Have you thought about trying a SIM from another carrier on the phone to see if it actually is indeed a phone issue? Maybe borrow someone's AT&T SIM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Okeechobee FL
    Posts
    344
    Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    But this is a Straight Talk phone. The APN settings should be set by ST before purchase. Did the data ever work? Data is turned on, right? (Sorry, but it does happen.) Return it and try another GSII.
    I believe ST and AT&T actually market different versions of this phone (not sure), but this has apn setting guide for the AT&T phones.
    Do you by any chance have a CDMA version?
    Last edited by ritchea; 02-28-2013 at 06:07 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    88
    Phones
    nokia 6010
    Samsung Eternity
    Samsung Rugby Smart
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ritchea View Post
    But this is a Straight Talk phone. The APN settings should be set by ST before purchase. Did the data ever work? Data is turned on, right? (Sorry, but it does happen.) Return it and try another GSII.
    I believe ST and AT&T actually market different versions of this phone (not sure), but this has apn setting guide for the AT&T phones.
    Do you by any chance have a CDMA version?
    Yes it is a Straight Talk Branded Galaxy S II, GSM(has a Sim slot). Data was turned on.
    When you go to the APN screen, all the fields are filled in with what is supposed to be Straight Talk APN settings, Except the Proxy, which apparently have been changed.
    There is a RED bar across the top of the APN screen, which is supposed to be where you would click to edit the settings or create a new APN. Neither the Straight Talk Rep at the Walmart store or the online rep could figure a way to get past the RED bar.
    That is when I got the statement to call Samsung.
    Samsung's response was, "They set the parameter's per what Straight Talk REQUESTED", so if there needed to be a change, Straight Talk would have to change them.
    Now I don't know if this is a problem for all SII's or just a random sampling, based on when they were manufactured. If it is a system wide error on all the phones, i'd think Walmart would pull stock and not sell them til this is fixed.
    When you look at the posts in the Straight Talk User's Forum, you do get the impression some with this same problem have been resolved. But you don't know for sure, because of their tactic to "take it offline and use PM to communicate".

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,617
    Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    yes o jave gotten several pm's from st reps on here.they have always answered my questions.might not be what i want to here but always neen truthfull.
    hey how long have you had the phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Straight Talk Customer Service Sucks
    By leroydrael in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 10:23 PM
  2. Straight Talk customer service...wow! activation issues
    By Polish Dude in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 10:34 PM
  3. Replies: 85
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 05:23 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-27-2011, 08:52 AM
  5. Straight Talk customer service
    By cjhorselady in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks