Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sensorly Maps: Sprint LTE Coverage

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Sensorly Maps: Sprint LTE Coverage

This is a thread to help those wondering if they currently have LTE coverage and/or wondering when they could see it in their market area. Sprint like other wireless operators have an unknown marketing formula deciding when and how they officially announce an LTE market of any size. This happens long AFTER LTE coverage has been available to their subscribers.

For those not already familiar with Sprint's 'Network Vision' overhaul and how LTE plays into it, here is the sticky thread on it: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ion-initiative

Being that LTE is one component of the project, the 'roll out' is not one of typical fashion. This is due to a number of factors including municipal permits, vendor equipment supply logistics, weather, etc. etc. I strongly suggest at minimum browsing over the sticky thread which will explain in general terms. This will help eliminate those posting complaints of ignorance regarding the roll out schedule.

Now that we have that out of the way, there are a few ways to keep up with what's happening and where sites are being turned on every week. Remember Sprint is replacing every single tower site with all new equipment, they are NOT simply adding LTE to tower sites.

A) Those not familiar with Sensorly, it is an excellent user based interactive coverage map app. http://www.sensorly.com/

Many of you here may have seen S4GRU mentioned here on Hofo. They are a great inside source for 'Network Vision', info comes from varied sources such as contracted vendors, etc.

B) Here is a link to mapping of Sprint LTE markets : http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/31...nt-lte-cities/

C) Here is a link to 'Network Vision' market schedule/progress : http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/21...-running-list/
    Last edited by 503ducati; 06-08-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    So the Sensorly map is just a map of those who have participated and mapped a certain area? If no one in my neighborhood has participated and mapped my general neighborhood it will show what appears to be no coverage, right?

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Re: Current Sprint 4G LTE Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    So the Sensorly map is just a map of those who have participated and mapped a certain area? If no one in my neighborhood has participated and mapped my general neighborhood it will show what appears to be no coverage, right?
    Correct, thus a cluster of dark colors can give away a tower site's location.

Sent from my EVO using HowardForums

Carrier(s)
    Ting - R+ - Lyca - BYO - Selectel
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, I will add this app to my sons phone and see what happens.

Feedback Score
    Um, guys? Virgin Mobile's website has a coverage map that includes 4G LTE:

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check...phone-coverage

Follow the link, put a check in the box next to 4G LTE, uncheck 4G WIMAX, data coverage, and voice coverage, enter the zip code or address you want to map, and click submit. LTE is in purple.

Should be as simple as that, unless I am missing something.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharmCityCrab View Post
    Um, guys? Virgin Mobile's website has a coverage map that includes 4G LTE:

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/check...phone-coverage

Follow the link, put a check in the box next to 4G LTE, uncheck 4G WIMAX, data coverage, and voice coverage, enter the zip code or address you want to map, and click submit. LTE is in purple.

Should be as simple as that, unless I am missing something.
    It does not show current LTE coverage, it's not going to show many sites that are live in markets across the country such as Portland, OR. It will not tell approx when a market will begin a tear down either.

Just like the "Official Maps" for 4G WiMAX, only Clear's will show all their live cities and towns. If you went by Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile/Sprint's 4G WiMAX coverage maps you would never know there was some 4G WiMAX coverage in all of the lower 48 states.

This thread is intended for finding LTE coverage info beyond the "Official Maps", those are the last to get updated.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch
    Feedback Score
    http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/21...-running-list/

This is the type of info I was looking for. Looks like Eastern Iowa won't be till the 3rd round. Probably not till the end of the year possibly this time next year. That makes the upgrade to my S2 a good decision.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tcross8361 View Post

This is the type of info I was looking for. Looks like Eastern Iowa won't be till the 3rd round. Probably not till the end of the year possibly this time next year. That makes the upgrade to my S2 a good decision.
    Yes that's why I put it in the OP because cities have been switched around, one that was scheduled for such and such date gets moved up. This could be due to a number of factors but the idea here is to be able to have access to the information. If you especially have WiMAX the SII at the price it's been at lately is a solid deal.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Eastern Iowa? Good news, work is underway. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/28...oocedar-falls/

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch
    Feedback Score

Re: Current Sprint 4G LTE Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by 503ducati View Post
    Yes that's why I put it in the OP because cities have been switched around, one that was scheduled for such and such date gets moved up. This could be due to a number of factors but the idea here is to be able to have access to the information. If you especially have WiMAX the SII at the price it's been at lately is a solid deal.
    Yes, I got it from the OP. I was happy to see this much info. Sorry, should of credited you.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I got it from the OP. I was happy to see this much info. Sorry, should of credited you.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
    Oh haha no problem my mistake! good to hear that the build out is underway in your area!

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    - Keep in mind the Sprint LTE coverage map will not be as up to date as the other sources.

- As LTE sites become live Sprint is leaving them individually on vs waiting until the entire market area is completed.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is the one thing that is keeping me on VM. I was ready to jump ship. I discovered your sensorly link and noticed someone mapped some 4g a block from me!

Can the presence of lte improve my 3g signal? My data has been better.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wsoul1 View Post
    This is the one thing that is keeping me on VM. I was ready to jump ship. I discovered your sensorly link and noticed someone mapped some 4g a block from me!

Can the presence of lte improve my 3g signal? My data has been better.
    Yes, BUT this isn't due to LTE it's due to significant improvements with Sprint's 'Network Vision' overhaul from tower site to backbone. LTE is just one improvement/upgrade to the network. More specifically in your case the new replacement Remote Radio Heads and fiber that now feeds them, this in turn should increase signal quality.

Have you noticed improved voice/3G signal recently?

With Network Vision, Sprint will make substantial changes to the cell sites that power its wireless network. The top image shows Sprint’s existing base stations, which require single, refrigerator-sized cabinets for each technology. Large black coaxial cables must run from each cabinet to the top of the cell tower, which has an inherent loss of signal. The Network Vision multi-mode base station will require less space. Other advantages will include the ability for Sprint to use spectrum bands on multiple technologies, replacing coaxial cables with fiber that is not affected by signal loss and improved remote radio heads that replace existing less efficient radios.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have had two major boosts in my data since 7/2011 when i joined. When they they implemented the soft cap and about a month ago. My location (NYC suburb) had many network vision updates but they have been "live" for almost a year. On Sensorly the mapping up the street from me is very dark purple, sub station? Multi mode station? I know lte and 3g have no correlation but i was wondering how i got this boost seemingly overnight.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast