Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Credit Check Question

Phone
    Nokia Lumia 635
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile Credit Check Question

Friday I attempted to purchase the Nexus 4 since it was free after a $50 mail in rebate and I also received free activation and 10% off everything through my Working Advantage website. I've been wanting this phone and while I'm very happy on Net10 using AT&T's Network this deal was just too good for me to pass up. Getting to the point of my story I ordered on Friday but never got a confirmation email from T-Mobile so I called the next day. The rep that I talked to could NOT find my order anywhere in the system and she wasn't sure what happened but she said to wait until Sunday and if I didn't get anything by then just to try to the order again as she was pretty sure it just didn't go through. Later on Saturday night I got an email from T-Mobile about my order saying I'd require a deposit and to call them at a 1800 number to discuss it. Now this is VERY odd, my credit is decent and I've never required a deposit from anybody. I have Centurylink DSL in my name, DirecTV, two AT&T Wireless home phone units. I also have credit cards through quite a few companies and everything is paid every month and on time. I've never ever been denied from a wireless company or been pulled for a deposit well with anybody. I did call T-Mobile and they pulled me for a $50 deposit which I know isn't much but they said it really couldn't be reviewed or turned over so I canceled the order. I know $50 isn't much and I honestly considered paying it but I've never had to do a deposit with anybody else and my credit is actually fairly good so I figured just forget it.

Has anybody else in here had any odd experiences on being pulled with a deposit from T-Mobile when they shouldn't? I even had T-Mobile in the past but my bill was paid every month and on time and I left the company with a zero balance so I have no clue why they would pull me for one. I just refuse to pay it no matter how small it is.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I too couldnt pass up this deal and tried to sign up for service through the Corporate Perks program that I'm a part of. I experienced the same thing except they wanted $100 from me. I almost paid it and then I thought I've been with Verizon for 5 years and before that Spring for 8 years neither one ever asked for a deposit. They couldnt tell me what in my credit prompted them to ask for the deposit so I had them cancel the order. Just seemed weird to me I dont know if maybe its because we both went through the corporate discount sites or what. Now I'm just going to wait for the HTC One or Sony Xperia Z before I even think about another carrier.

Phone
    Nokia Lumia 635
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by draconos View Post
    I too couldnt pass up this deal and tried to sign up for service through the Corporate Perks program that I'm a part of. I experienced the same thing except they wanted $100 from me. I almost paid it and then I thought I've been with Verizon for 5 years and before that Spring for 8 years neither one ever asked for a deposit. They couldnt tell me what in my credit prompted them to ask for the deposit so I had them cancel the order. Just seemed weird to me I dont know if maybe its because we both went through the corporate discount sites or what. Now I'm just going to wait for the HTC One or Sony Xperia Z before I even think about another carrier.
    I'm not sure if I want T-Mobile now, I had them in the past but dumped them due to poor customer service and slow data speeds in the area. They've expanded faster data coverage in my area though but I gotta say customer service still seems crappy. The one number they gave me to call I was on hold for 30 minutes and finally I hung up but then I found the other customer service number on my working advantage website. They answered instantly on that number but just weren't that helpful. I think I'll stay with Net10 using AT&T's (which is better in this area) network since my phone is fine and my rate plan is great, yes I get crappy CS with that too but at least given what I pay I expect that. T-Mobile really needs to improve the customer service still from what I've seen.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Well I bought a prepaid card to put into a mytouch q that i bought for the wife just to test out tmobile's service. I was hoping I could of gotten the Nexus 4 this last weekend but now I'm just going to wait and see. Probably end up on Net 10 with an ATT sim. I wish they could of just told me why I wasnt approved.. I know my credit scores yes they arent that great but I've never had a problem with cell companies in the past. Hell verizon didnt ask for anything.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Iridium
    Feedback Score
    I think they are required to send you snail mail about why you require a deposit? I know Verizon does this...
    WiFi Guru

Phone
    Nokia Lumia 635
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by draconos View Post
    Well I bought a prepaid card to put into a mytouch q that i bought for the wife just to test out tmobile's service. I was hoping I could of gotten the Nexus 4 this last weekend but now I'm just going to wait and see. Probably end up on Net 10 with an ATT sim. I wish they could of just told me why I wasnt approved.. I know my credit scores yes they arent that great but I've never had a problem with cell companies in the past. Hell verizon didnt ask for anything.
    My credit score isn't "Great" but its fairly decent. As I said decent enough to not require anything from AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon. Also good enough when I got DirecTV a year and a half ago roughly and they never said anything to me. I also have credit cards through Kohl's, JCP, Belk, Capital One among others with no problems. I have a perfect payment history as well. The odd thing is I even had T-Mobile in the past and they never pulled me for a deposit and when I left them I paid it off and left with a zero balance so I know I have a good history with T-Mobile as well. Customer service also couldn't give me a reason for why they pulled a deposit and why that limit. Just seems like a bs charge to me.

Carriers
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMonkeyMan View Post
    My credit score isn't "Great" but its fairly decent. As I said decent enough to not require anything from AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon. Also good enough when I got DirecTV a year and a half ago roughly and they never said anything to me. I also have credit cards through Kohl's, JCP, Belk, Capital One among others with no problems. I have a perfect payment history as well. The odd thing is I even had T-Mobile in the past and they never pulled me for a deposit and when I left them I paid it off and left with a zero balance so I know I have a good history with T-Mobile as well. Customer service also couldn't give me a reason for why they pulled a deposit and why that limit. Just seems like a bs charge to me.
    Before Philipp Humm left T-Mobile USA, he tightened the approved credit ratings considerably. The range of approved credit scores is considerably tighter than the other three carriers. He rationalized it by saying that T-Mobile offers a full set of service options on the No Annual Contract side, and the elimination of Even More Plus and FlexPay meant that it is fine to tighten the approved credit ranges.

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score

Last time I had them they turned me down for a second line. I had never paid them late, had a 798 credit score with no negatives on report everything at zero balance etc. It made no sense at all.
    Running too many phones

Carriers
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhere View Post
    Last time I had them they turned me down for a second line. I had never paid them late, had a 798 credit score with no negatives on report everything at zero balance etc. It made no sense at all.
    That sounds weird. Try emailing the Executive Customer Care team to find out what's going on...

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    wow if they did turn down someone with a 798 for a second line...then I dont stand a cold chance in well ya know....lol

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score

On the other hand, I had a friend get approved a few months ago with a 570 and some late payments so it varies. Tmo seems to have the weirdest approval structure these days. I think tmo tightened the credit standards and for a while they were too tight.

Phone
    Nokia Lumia 635
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhere View Post
    On the other hand, I had a friend get approved a few months ago with a 570 and some late payments so it varies. Tmo seems to have the weirdest approval structure these days. I think tmo tightened the credit standards and for a while they were too tight.
    That makes no sense to me, my score is 650 much higher than your friends and I have no late payments (although I do have a BK discharged over 3 years ago) on my file. I also have a history with T-Mobile and paying off in full and on time when I left them. Also a poster above got denied a second line with a 798 score? It seems as though T-Mobile's credit check system makes no sense to me. It almost seems random on who gets approved or not.

Phone
    Nokia Lumia 635
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I got my letter from T-Mobile today telling me why I was denied service unless I paid a deposit. It was crap and they even told me my score was 812 points on a range from 1 to 1000 on their credit scoring system. This makes no sense to me and I sure won't be paying any deposit no matter what. I'll just stick with Net10, I'd rather use AT&T's superior network anyways.

Phones
    Samsung Moment
    Palm Pre
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carriers
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score

Re: T-Mobile Credit Check Question

I had T-Mobile a few years ago and left with an unpaid balance. Account was charges off.

Came back last year with no deposit..

Credit score is around 540.

Sent from my R800at using Tapatalk 2

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Z10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0.10.672 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMonkeyMan
    I do have a BK discharged over 3 years ago) on my file.
    I think the answer to your original question is right here. Although your credit score may be decent, I would guess that T-Mobile is asking for a deposit because the bankruptcy is still showing up. But in my opinion, $50 hardly seems worth the hassle for them to even make an issue of it. Obviously they think you pose a very small credit risk if they only want $50.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 03-11-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast