Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Walmart's Straight Talk iPhones Unlocked or Not?

Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score

Question Walmart's Straight Talk iPhones Unlocked or Not?

Is the ST iPhone 4s or 5 unlocked that's what people keep saying so is it? I heard the new ISO 6 won't work if the phone is unlocked. I wanted to use Cydia on it whenever I buy one but not sure if it's unlocked or not.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Walmart's Straight Talk iPhones Unlocked or Not?

iPhone 5 is unlocked ... I'm using it now on net 10 to type this message 😜. went to walmart picked one up,got it home and put my net10 Sim in and it's been working great. It's also been working fine after the iOS 6.1.2 update

Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Oh well whats Net10? I never worked with Sim's for years haha.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
    Oh well whats Net10? I never worked with Sim's for years haha.
    Net10/Straight Talk are both America Movil companies. Both have BYOP sim card plans with AT&T and T-mobile.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have 3 units, all of them unlocked. Most recent was purchased just a few days ago. There are rumors but nothing concrete and I've seen no evidence to suggest Straight Talk is locking them down.

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    If you want to use ST "AT&T" on the iPhone 5, just go buy the unlocked GMS iPhone 5 from Apple.com or Apple store. Stick a Straight Talk sim in. You don't need to go buy from Wal-mart and "hope" it's unlocked. Jeez people.

This is like the people hoping Straight Talk will sell the LG Nexus 4. Why? You can buy the PENTABAND, quad core CPU, 4.7", HD resolution screen, 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, NFC, LG Nexus 4 smartphone from GOOGLE for $299. RIGHT NOW. (If you don't know what pentaband means, go google it. Then go buy it from Google.)

And you can go buy an unlocked sim card iPhone 5 from Apple RIGHT NOW. You don't need Straight Talk's help, you don't need to buy it from Wal-mart.

Straight from the Apple site:

Last edited by ChazzMatt; 02-27-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score

Walmart's Straight Talk iPhones Unlocked or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    If you want to use ST "AT&T" on the iPhone 5, just go buy the unlocked GMS iPhone 5 from Apple.com or Apple store. Stick a Straight Talk sim in. You don't need to go buy from Wal-mart and "hope" it's unlocked. Jeez people.

This is like the people hoping Straight Talk will sell the LG Nexus 4. Why? You can buy the PENTABAND, quad core CPU, 4.7", HD resolution screen, 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, NFC, LG Nexus 4 smartphone from GOOGLE for $299. RIGHT NOW. (If you don't know what pentaband means, go google it. Then go buy it from Google.)

And you can go buy an unlocked sim card iPhone 5 from Apple RIGHT NOW. You don't need Straight Talk's help, you don't need to buy it from Wal-mart.

Straight from the Apple site:

You do get greater prepaid flexibility with straight talks version it's reported to work in other Verizon mvnos as well as be gsm unlocked a big plus over the apple store version.

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
    You do get greater prepaid flexibility with straight talks version it's reported to work in other Verizon mvnos as well as be gsm unlocked a big plus over the apple store version.
    Yes, the only advantage to the Straight Talk/Wal-Mart version is the ability to use it on ST "Verizon". But all the people asking if it's unlocked are driving me crazy. They obviously are only buying it to run on ST "AT&T". They couldn't care less about running on ST "Verizon" or they wouldn't be asking if the GSM sim part was "unlocked".

So, if they want an unlocked, no contract sim card iPhone 5 -- go buy it from Apple. Stop asking the same question over and and over and over again.

Of course blame Straight Talk for the confusion. Their customer service reps have been told to lie to people and tell them the sim card function is locked out on these CDMA + GSM phones, when that is blatantly untrue. Straight Talk obviously don't want people to switch to ST "AT&T" (or any other AT&T MNVO) on these phones, to avoid AT&T's wrath (as AT&T want to sell customers 2-year contracted iPhone 5s).

That is one of my theories about why the ST "AT&T" sims disappeared from Straight Talk or at least contributed to the disagreements between Straight Talk and AT&T (in spite of AT&T's minority ownership of America Movil). AT&T may feel offering this unlocked iPhone 5 for sale and even offering 0% financing (through Wal-mart) is blatantly crossing the line, stealing money and customers from AT&T post-paid. AT&T: "If we don't let you sell any more BYOP AT&T sims, guess you won't be able to use them in that pretty iPhone 5, huh?" Thus, Straight Talk lies to you and tells you it can only be used with ST "Verizon". The CDMA part is tied to Verizon, but if you put an AT&T MNVO sim card in (from Straight Talk or Net10) then it runs on AT&T.

Still, just go buy the unlocked sim card version from Apple if you want to use AT&T MNVO. No confusion there. You KNOW it's unlocked.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 02-28-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Well then who's worth getting ST or VM's iPhones?

Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How do I go abouts buying an Iphone from the apple store itself I ask them can I buy 1 thats unlocked or what do I say?

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    How do I go abouts buying an Iphone from the apple store itself I ask them can I buy 1 thats unlocked or what do I say?
    The Apple Store online it gives you the option to pick a carrier, or to buy it unlocked and contract free. Or if you have an Apple Store near you, you can go in and buy one in person, just tell them you want a unlocked carrier free version.

If you want Verizon coverage through Straight Talk, then you need to buy the ST iPhone from WalMart. For anything else then an unlocked one straight from Apple would be a better choice.

Phone
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spekkio View Post
    The Apple Store online it gives you the option to pick a carrier, or to buy it unlocked and contract free. Or if you have an Apple Store near you, you can go in and buy one in person, just tell them you want a unlocked carrier free version.

If you want Verizon coverage through Straight Talk, then you need to buy the ST iPhone from WalMart. For anything else then an unlocked one straight from Apple would be a better choice.
    EXACTLY. At the Apple store you ask for the UNLOCKED GMS iPhone 5.

Or go to Apple.com and buy it. When you go to pick the iPhone 5, down towards the bottom of the page you will see this:

Pick which one you want and pay the money. You will receive an unlocked GSM no-contract iPhone 5 you can use with any AT&T MNVO -- like Straight Talk or Net10 if you have their "AT&T" sim card.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 03-01-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No it sounds too confusing to do. I would rather just buy one from VM or ST directly.

Phone
    SM-N900A on GoPhone LTE, Samsung SGH-I337 (Back-Up)
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Walmart's Straight Talk iPhones Unlocked or Not?

No it sounds too confusing to do. I would rather just buy one from VM or ST directly.
    you're free to make a choice, many suggestion been dish out. go to walmart, pick up one, apple.com or apple store n get to feel it, rub your fingers. get to verizon n sign up for a 2 year contract n no need to manipulate the device, with VZN, all feature should work out of the box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using HowardForums
    Samsung SM-N900A 32GB on GoPhone LTE
    Samsung SGH-I337 32GB (Back Up)

Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is the ST iphone 4S also unlocked or just the iphone 5?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast