Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Selecting AT&T when using Straight Talk's T-Mobile SIM

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Selecting AT&T when using Straight Talk's T-Mobile SIM

Hello,

Just thought I'd tell you guys that I'm using my straight talk t-mobile SIM card in an iPhone 4 and under carrier settings have turned off the automatic setting and selected AT&T.

I won't be abusing the service but I can tell you I get full speed 3G data, can talk and surf at the same time and haven't gotten any calls from straight talk.

Our t-mobile coverage here stinks (2g only, even for t-mobile phones)

So it appears that there's a workaround to the AT&T sim... Just use t-mobile roaming.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    That's great news!

I wonder if all of the new ST T-mobile SIMs will be programmed to fall back to AT&T when there is no TMO service?
    Last edited by wg8dx; 03-03-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: added ST

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well when I let it automatically choose whenever I lost signal (like in my basement) it would switch to AT&T...

I'm leaving the setting on AT&T just because I won't miss calls while using data (edge does that around here) and its faster and better.

I won't abuse the service because I want it to stay working. Last cycle I used 1gb on AT&T via the t-mobile sim and heard nothing from straight talk.

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    So it sounds like you can manually switch to AT&T with your ST T-mobile SIM but it wont automatically switch over.

Wonder if any of the Android or Windows phones will be able to switch service between T-mobile and AT&T with a new Straight Talk T-mobile SIM?

Feedback Score

on st t-mobile sim using AT&T network

Let's see if we can get visionsdivine to chime in if he still has ST to see if he can do that. I must say that I have tmobile monthly 4g prepaid. When I get back home ill pop it in and see if it has that option. Maybe it's just ST sims that do that. Who knows.

Anyone tries it let us know pease

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: on st t-mobile sim using AT&T network

Can you show some proof of being on T-Mobile? I don't think it's quite that easy to roam onto AT&T with the T-Mobile SIM.

Edit: my understanding of the roaming onto AT&T is it's calling/texting only and that's rare.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by MkVsTheWorld View Post
    Can you show some proof of being on T-Mobile? I don't think it's quite that easy to roam onto AT&T with the T-Mobile SIM.

Edit: my understanding of the roaming onto AT&T is it's calling/texting only and that's rare.
    The funny thing is, on my att branded (though unlocked) dummy phone (zte f160) when I put in my tmobile monthly 4g prepaid SIM card in, I too have that option. Now all I have to do is try it in my iPhone. I must say that I haven't seen such an option...but I'll look again.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score

I had this though the opposite way a while back I had an att st sim and was able to use tmobile only I set it back to automatic and it reverted to att.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Here's my proof... sorry it's long winded...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elZoE...ature=youtu.be
    I buy broken/used iPhones (4 & 4S) on any carrier! PM me info about your phone and your asking price and I'll get back to you!

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bpaulson View Post

Yup I have the same option when I put my tmobile monthly 4g into my iPhone 4S...I can select att but it doesn't work obviously because its tmobile prepaid and not straight talk.

This is actually really awesome because then you can use lots of data on the tmobile side, (if you can find service) then switch to att for better service where needed.

Ya lucky bastid...dslreports is awesome btw.

Phone
    Samsung SM-N900A
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

you really gotta work that hard to get at&t data on tmobile? not worth my time. each his own though.

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: on st t-mobile sim using AT&T network

Very interesting... what APN settings do you use?

Phones
    Samsung Focus S
    Carrier
    at&t via Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Thanks for making the video. Wonder what your AT&T data would look like when your out of the basement on the first floor near a window or near an AT&T tower?

I get 2-3 bars of 4G signal strength in my basement but data is not very reliable until I get near an upstairs window. Using just the ST AT&T SIM here.

Feedback Score

I don't think I have the guts to switch to a tmobile sim from an att sim to have the option...knowing my luck they'll mess something up and won't be able to fix it lol.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    you really gotta work that hard to get at&t data on tmobile? not worth my time. each his own though.
    I'm guessing you didn't watch the full video (can't blame you... I have an annoying voice to listen to!)

All I do is pop in my sim and choose carrier settings, turn automatic off, choose AT&T and from there on out it just works on AT&T. No playing with settings, no nothing. It just works and stays on AT&T.

I switched over to the T-mobile sim to see what T-mobile 3G is like in a town near us (refarmed 1900mhz). Haven't been there yet but plan on going sometime soon.

Essentially it's really easy to do, phone doesn't have to be jailbroken... it just works.

My house is a split level... so my basement isn't fully underground... I have full size windows in the lower level.

I just ran another speed test... got about 1.5mbps down and 1mbps up.

Can't guarantee it'll work in all areas, but wherever there's a t-mobile roaming agreement with AT&T it looks like you'd have service (and hopefully like me, data.)

My APN settings are wap.tracfone (t-mobile settings.) If I try to put in the att settings it obviously won't work as all my traffic is through AT&T towers but routed through t-mobile's servers.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast