Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is the Evo V 4G being discontinued, or just temporarily gone?

Feedback Score

Is the Evo V 4G being discontinued, or just temporarily gone?

I checked with several stores and one of them checked other stores in the area. I was told none of them are restocking any time soon and hinted that it may have been discontinued in their system, or at least that particular UPC. I checked VM's website, and it says "Temporarily out of stock". From this I can gather one of 3 things. They are either actually "temporarily out of stock", coming out with a new revision of this phone, or worst case scenario, it's being discontinued. I knew I should have bought one a couple weeks ago when I had the chance.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zack View Post
    I checked with several stores and one of them checked other stores in the area. I was told none of them are restocking any time soon and hinted that it may have been discontinued in their system, or at least that particular UPC. I checked VM's website, and it says "Temporarily out of stock". From this I can gather one of 3 things. They are either actually "temporarily out of stock", coming out with a new revision of this phone, or worst case scenario, it's being discontinued. I knew I should have bought one a couple weeks ago when I had the chance.
    Get it for 99 bucks at radio shack....About being discontinued, I say why not ? its already 2 years old...Virgin needs the HTC ONE

Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    If there going to discontinue a phone, I would chose the triumph, lol. I mean damn it's still selling for almost 200.
    LG Nexus⁴ -- Beanstalk Kit-Kat 4.4.4_r2 -- LTE + ART enabled
    Moto G ------- Stock KitKat -- 4.4.3 -- with ART
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Carrier
    R+ - Zact/VMC - Ting - PPC - Lyca
    Feedback Score
    Radio Shack tells me No stores in the District I live in or the South Bay Area have this phone and they have put a sign up that they won't be able to honor this sale. I would say they have stopped production of the 4G Wimax version and are going to roll out the EVO 4G LTE version for VM and the One for Sprint?? Probably blew them out on VM @139 and RS @129 and now any remaining stock @99. Of course now that I wrote this, they will restock them, LOL.
    Sucks, would have liked to pick up another one.

Phones
    LG Volt
    LG Volt
    Carrier
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Squirt, I think the triumph is prolly just selling its stock, it just moves very slowly. I can see the S2 replacing the evo 3d as a top tier phone too.

Unfortunately they never tell us something is being discontinued.

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Ringplus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.32193/28.4079; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

I just got back from Radio Shack and the lady said it is discontinued. I went back to get my 40 dollars which was 30 plus the 10 dollar coupon code from Facebook.I got a HTC made case for $2.50 on clearance.I'm a happy camper

Phones
    Samsung Moment
    Palm Pre
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Carriers
    Sprint,
    Feedback Score
    Yesterday at least 10 Radioshacks in a 50 mile radius showed it as in stock.
    Today, it was down to 3.

Drove to the one in Cooper City, FL. Store associate tells me they are sold out. Checks his computer and calls 2 more stores (both showing as having 2+ in stock) both say they are sold out.

Get home, pull the radioshack ad and call Target. Target has 1 in stock. Says they would price match Radioshack as long as I bring the ad in.
    Drive 20 minutes to Target, show ad, bring to guest services, guy at register tells me "We don't price match Radioshack."
    WTF? Tell him that I was told on the phone they would price match it, he says not by him, must have been the 'new guy' in electronics.
    Ask for a manager at this point. He insists she would say the same thing, and brings me paperwork showing how they only price match certain stores.
    Hoosaahh..

Go back to car, call nearest Walmart. Ask if they have the EVO 4G, put on hold for 10 minutes.
    Hang up, call again. Another person says they have none in stock.
    Call Best Buy. Listen to music for more time than I can recall, hang up. Pull up Best buy website, looks like BB has discontinued selling the VM EVO.

Go home again. 8PM now. Yesterday had convinced myself I'd be buying an EVO at $100 no problem.

Get on Radioshack website again, pull up the 50 mile radius. Call 2 stores in Hialeah, FL, both say sold out.
    Call the last one in Miami Beach, FL, and he says they have one left.
    Informed him I'm coming from Fort Lauderdale area so it'll take me 45 minutes, he says he'll hold it for me.

Hit the road at 805PM, get there at about 845PM. Ask first person I see when I go in for the EVO 4G, man tells me they are sold out.
    At this point I'm ready to go UFC on somebody and very collectively tell him I spoke to Carlos on the phone who said he was going to hold one for me.
    Says to hold on and goes into back.

And then.. Carlos comes out holding a brand new EVO 4G!
    Blood pressure begins returning to normal.

Of course, he tries to sell me the airtime cards, insurance, cases, wants to activate the phone in store, and everything else under the room.. but just say I'm good with the phone I'll activate it later.

Finally just before 900PM, I am leaving Radioshack with the last EVO 4G in what appears to be both Broward & Miami-Dade counties.

Would I go through all of this again? Probably not.. but do feel a sort of mission accomplished at the end of the night.

Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Very nice :-) . I really had to control myself from buying one, just for the price. Lol.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Is the Evo V 4G being discontinued, or just temporarily gone?

LOL, you all are a bad influence! I went looking for an EVO today as well - I thought it would be a good alternative to an iPod Touch for my son, at half the price.

I tried Target; actually, two of them, never having heard they won't price match Radio Shack. At the first store, I found no EVO but also no help in Electronics, so I headed off to the next store. Their shelf was also empty, but I found an employee to do a product search for me. It turned up one phone listed in stock at a store almost 40 miles away. Then I asked if the scanner told her whether a product was discontinued. I forget what the phrase she used was, but it sounded like an indicator for a product that Target would not be restocking. Not conclusive, but discouraging.

I didn't hit Radio Shack because an online check showed them to be out in my area, but I may stop in tomorrow on the off chance one shows up. From everyone else's reports, though, it doesn't sound promising. I can only hope this means a new "flagship" device is on the way soon.

Carrier
    R+ - Zact/VMC - Ting - PPC - Lyca
    Feedback Score
    I would not doubt they pulled the plug on this phone. 1) Why continue a Wimax 4G when it is on its way out and 2) 3D is more of a novelty which never took off and 3D manufacturing costs have got to be more expensive. Why not drop the 3D 4G and continue the 4G LTE production adding it to the Virgin Line up?

Now if they have pulled the plug, where does that leave us as far as warranty and replacement?

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile (Galaxy S5) Tracfone (Galaxy Centura) & AT&T (HTC Desire 610)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    I would not doubt they pulled the plug on this phone. 1) Why continue a Wimax 4G when it is on its way out and 2) 3D is more of a novelty which never took off and 3D manufacturing costs have got to be more expensive. Why not drop the 3D 4G and continue the 4G LTE production adding it to the Virgin Line up?

Now if they have pulled the plug, where does that leave us as far as warranty and replacement?
    I always got the impression the EVO V 4G was an impromptu hand-me-down from Sprint, who obviously had a ton of these things they could never sell to their post-paid customers. In fact, my EVO still had the Sprint badge on it despite being placed in VM packaging.

It was a good phone in terms of specs, but the WiMax thing was a big negative in terms of its future. People want 4G LTE because the technology is more reliable and offers a better overall experience. VM didn't have much of a future with the EVO V, especially since an actual LTE device has joined their lineup.

If you really want an EVO, get one if you still can. This thing is going the way of the BlackBerry Curve.

Feedback Score
    Every phone gets sent to pasture eventually. The LTE evo will probably get bumped to virgin since the Next gen evo is ready for the spotlight.

Phone
    Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    with $100 being the price point I was waiting for, I went searching yesterday, didn't find any in my area either, but found a RS that was willing to get it transferred from another location to one near me, so hopefully by the end of the week I'll have an EVO.

At first I was worried about the wimax retirement, but then I remembered that I rarely keep phones for more than a year anyway, so if I manage to get 18 months from this one, it'll be worth it. I'm just too tired of juggling memory space in my Optimus V.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile (Galaxy S5) Tracfone (Galaxy Centura) & AT&T (HTC Desire 610)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzbox View Post
    At first I was worried about the wimax retirement, but then I remembered that I rarely keep phones for more than a year anyway, so if I manage to get 18 months from this one, it'll be worth it. I'm just too tired of juggling memory space in my Optimus V.
    I had the OV for about six months, so I know what you're saying. It didn't take long for me to run out of memory between all the Google updates and the new apps I wanted. Virgin Mobile needs a device that has 4 GB or more of internal space. Apps are getting bigger and bigger all the time, and putting them on an SD card isn't always an option. I was starting to run out of storage on my EVO right before jumping ship to the Note II.

Phone
    Lumia_635, iPhone_5S
    Carrier
    at&t_GP, Virgin_Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
    I had the OV for about six months, so I know what you're saying. It didn't take long for me to run out of memory between all the Google updates and the new apps I wanted. Virgin Mobile needs a device that has 4 GB or more of internal space. Apps are getting bigger and bigger all the time, and putting them on an SD card isn't always an option. I was starting to run out of storage on my EVO right before jumping ship to the Note II.
    I think you are right about that, Sprint should add the Galaxy Note II to the line-up as soon as possible. No need for them to just settle for outdated devices like the Evo V. With LTE now a standard feature for VM's wireless devices, they need to focus their efforts on maximizing the device selection to include some premium devices while continuing with the current Beyond Talk service plans.
    No Contract means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast