Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LTE on T-Mobile Prepaid?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

LTE on T-Mobile Prepaid?

Does anyone in Las Vegas (LTE market as of last month) have T-Mobile Prepaid (or even better, Simple Mobile MVNO) service that can test if they get LTE in known LTE spots?

Posting this cause no one has posted anything about it yet! Sorry if there already is a thread on this, I've looked and haven't found anything. Kind of big especially if we can get tethering working!!!

Maybe someone can test on an AT&T iPhone 5? Even postpaid! AT&T iPhone 5 uses the same LTE band (AWS band) as T-Mobile is using at Las Vegas and supposably the rest of the nation so it should work. If not maybe we can work something out to get it working (there are override plists that allow LTE to enable).
    iPhone 5s 64GB Gold Factory Unlocked
    iPhone 5s 64GB Gold Factory Unlocked #2
    iPhone 5 32GB Black Verizon Factory Unlocked
    iPhone 5 16GB Red Sprint
    iPhone 5c 16GB Green Sprint
    iPhone 4 16GB white Verizon (cracked display)
    iPod touch 5th generation 32GB silver
    iPad mini with Retina Display 64GB Cellular + WiFi

Carrier
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

LTE on T-Mobile Prepaid?

I think iphone 5 locks out non official iphone carriers. So putting in a tmobile sim in an unlocked iphone probably won't yield an lte signal until tmobile officially starts carrying the iphone

Sprint 4G home modem

AT&T Iphone 4S

Charter Ultra 100

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang View Post
    I think iphone 5 locks out non official iphone carriers. So putting in a tmobile sim in an unlocked iphone probably won't yield an lte signal until tmobile officially starts carrying the iphone
    Yeah but there is a CommCenter patch out for iPhone 5, which could possibly let us take LTE Override files from the official LTE GSM carrier bundles and use it on the Unknown.bundle carrier bundle folder (the one T-Mobile currently defaults to). I think there is work on this already for that but what I'm more interested in is if LTE works on prepaid cause that would be great!!!

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Aren't there other phones you can use that can access Tmobile's LTE to see if this works on prepiad?

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score

LTE on T-Mobile Prepaid?

I wonder if the current sims would pick up lte or if people would need new ones.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto Zap View Post
    I wonder if the current sims would pick up lte or if people would need new ones.
    Shouldn't require a new SIM just for LTE

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Aren't there other phones you can use that can access Tmobile's LTE to see if this works on prepiad?
    Yeah the Galaxy Note II LTE is the only official T-Mobile phone out right now that supports LTE on T-Mobile but LTE is disabled on it. There's also the Nexus 4, that's why I wanted to see if LTE works on prepaid or if whether or not we will be required to get on postpaid

Feedback Score
    I read the the Nexus 4 has LTE hidden under its skin - but have to 'unlock' the LTE portion to use.

Feedback Score
    If you have good hspa plus coverage, why worry about it till it's more widely spread. Really, though LTE will have the longer term potential, they've done a heckuva good job making everyone feel that LTE is THE superior 4G technology RIGHT NOW. LTE's theoretical potential surpasses say Wimax and Hspa plus but its current reality is the most relevant thing here . Verizon LOVES that people think that LTE 4G is superior to the other forms. Theories don't necessarily make good prepaid phone networks. Tmobile's blazingly fast 4G level hspa plus is a reality NOW in many areas for smartphones. Verizon prepaid and mvnos are still on 3G only cdma/evdo except for their Broadband data /tablet plans.

I'd rather have good hspa plus or wimax then crummy LTE. A technology itself is neither inherently superior nor inferior as many think. Implementation has a lot to do with it too.

Feedback Score

Re: LTE on T-Mobile Prepaid?

Quote Originally Posted by fonezfonz View Post
    If you have good hspa plus coverage, why worry about it till it's more widely spread. Really, though LTE will have the longer term potential, they've done a heckuva good job making everyone feel that LTE is THE superior 4G technology RIGHT NOW. LTE's theoretical potential surpasses say Wimax and Hspa plus but its current reality is the most relevant thing here . Verizon LOVES that people think that LTE 4G is superior to the other forms. Theories don't necessarily make good prepaid phone networks. Tmobile's blazingly fast 4G level hspa plus is a reality NOW in many areas for smartphones. Verizon prepaid and mvnos are still on 3G only cdma/evdo except for their Broadband data /tablet plans.

I'd rather have good hspa plus or wimax then crummy LTE. A technology itself is neither inherently superior nor inferior as many think. Implementation has a lot to do with it too.
    You are exactly right. 4g HSPA+ is really fast and as good as LTE and in some places faster. The only way to get Verizon LTE is being a post paid customer. You can get T-Mobile's 4g HSPA+ directly with them or their MVNO's as a prepaid customer.
    Prepaid Wireless Refills
    Discounted & No Tax
    All Major Carriers
    www.SecrestWireless.com

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Secrest View Post
    You are exactly right. 4g HSPA+ is really fast and as good as LTE and in some places faster. The only way to get Verizon LTE is being a post paid customer. You can get T-Mobile's 4g HSPA+ directly with them or their MVNO's as a prepaid customer.
    This is true mostly. LTE does technically have higher speeds but we know those aren't attainable (just as I know the 42 isn't attainable either). The one thing LTE does have over even HSPA+ is a better latency which cannot be overcome. This is a nice thing and something the end user does notice. Is it a big enough deal to most users - probably not.

LTE does drain a battery like a mofo. Also, it requires your phone to have more radios as LTE is data only yet - so you have to have a 2g or 3g network backing it up for phone calls. HSPA+ covers your data and voice - less radios means cheaper phones and thinner ones.

Feedback Score
    how fast is tmobile 2g speeds?

Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twiinciity View Post
    how fast is tmobile 2g speeds?
    If I force 2g, I get about 150-200kb/s on average, with 220 ping and the same upload.

I agree with you guys, I get better speeds than my freind with Verizon LTE, in my area. Lte has a higher ceiling, but right now hspa+ is no slouch.
    LG Nexus⁴ -- Beanstalk Kit-Kat 4.4.4_r2 -- LTE + ART enabled
    Moto G ------- Stock KitKat -- 4.4.3 -- with ART
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Feedback Score
    are those 2g speeds to slow to use?

Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    It depends on what your used too. Imo, it is pretty slow. It's about what I got on Virgin Mobile's 3g, which is why I left them.

Your average decent 3G will run about 500-1000kb/s down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast