Thread: Signed up for net10 stuck on Edge speeds

Feedback Score

Signed up for net10 stuck on Edge speeds

I bought a new iphone 5 unlocked didn't want to be tied into a two year contract only to find out after activating the phone with the net10 nano sim card and porting my number over I'm stuck on edge for my data.

After spending about five long hours on the phone with customer service resetting the APN turning the phone on & off then being handed over to a superviser I'm told that the 3G data on the AT&T towers is only for post paid customers and I'm stuck with edge........I find it hard to believe they'd get many new customers advertising the same service as AT&T data & voice at half the price only to find out after you signed up your on dial-up data speeds.According to their coverage map I'm in a 3G data area zip code 48471 but I guess they have a different map then the AT&T coverage map ? Anyone else ever hear of such a thing.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mckey View Post
    I bought a new iphone 5 unlocked didn't want to be tied into a two year contract only to find out after activating the phone with the net10 nano sim card and porting my number over I'm stuck on edge for my data.

After spending about five long hours on the phone with customer service resetting the APN turning the phone on & off then being handed over to a superviser I'm told that the 3G data on the AT&T towers is only for post paid customers and I'm stuck with edge........I find it hard to believe they'd get many new customers advertising the same service as AT&T data & voice at half the price only to find out after you signed up your on dial-up data speeds.According to their coverage map I'm in a 3G data area zip code 48471 but I guess they have a different map then the AT&T coverage map ? Anyone else ever hear of such a thing.
    Unlocking a phone allows a different service providers SIM to be recognized and accepted, BUT it does NOT add the others service providers high speed Data freq. (radio) to a phone that was manufactured without them.

High speed data can also be lost when not a part of the roaming agreement Trac has worked out with the provider.

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If regular AT&T customers get 3G at your place, you should be getting 3G, too.

However, looking at the AT&T coverage map, it seems you live on the edge of 3G coverage. It's possible the map is being too optimistic and 3G simply doesn't reach your area, especially indoors. You can try driving out closer to 3G coverage and see if you pick it up. If you do, that would prove that.
    Past providers: Page Plus, AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin, Straight Talk
    Past phones: Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score

Re: Signed up for net10 stuck on Edge speeds

Try going to settings-celular data and make sure 3G is enabled. That fixed my problem.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Well I guess I didn't look at the coverage map close enough when I always checked for coverage in the past I wound enter my street address and it showed I was in the 3G area,But I see when I zoom out the map looks like the sandusky city area is still edge coverage. I'm about 10 miles outside the city and I guess that's were my signal tower is coming from ? I noticed a new cell tower about four miles north of me last year but the tower is owned by a church group and leased out so I'm unsure the of carrier I thought it was AT&T since verizon hasn't built any towers in this area yet.

Volaris I haven't had a chance to take a drive yet and see if the signal changes to 3G if I can get away I take a drive down the road later and see if the signal changes.....

Jimc28352 I checked my settings in the cellular data and couldn't find that 3G enable option, I only have Enable LTE or Data Roaming ?

I did notice that the net10 APN profile is now "not verified" but it was earlier I'm not sure if when they reset the APN it changed and maybe I should try to enter the APN settings manually ?. I guess it not that big of a deal I can still use my wireless airport extreme wifi at home.... Will the edge eventually be upgraded to 3G in this area or will I always have to look forward to edge speeds .

Feedback Score
    Hey what sim did you get.The TMO one or did you get the AT&T one off E bay.

Feedback Score
    I bought a net10 AT&T sim from a seller on ebay he cut the card to nano size so it would work in the iphone 5 , I thought it odd yesterday my phone signal would switch from edge to 4G only 1 bar at the most.I took a ride down the road about a mile and picked up the 4G signal so looks like I'm stuck between two cell towers and the edge is the stronger signal.But I guess it an encouraging sign that maybe their is some AT&T cell upgrade work in the area.I still haven't found any 3G signals in this area yet only edge according to the coverage map most of my area is 3G and the closest 4G is in the detroit suburbs about 60 miles south.

Feedback Score
    I feel your pain; I'm in the same area. There has been some work here, but for now pretty much anywhere north of Lexington is EDGE even though there are spots that show 3G or 4G. I would hope by late spring they finish up this area and then they can move up the thumb. Also hoping T-mobile will expand to Sandusky since now they're in Lexington. Lexington's had upgraded speeds for quite a while now, so I don't know why Sandusky seems to be a low priority for AT&T.

Feedback Score
    alicorn that's good to know thanks for the information......it would be nice to get T-mobile in this area and give thumb cellular some Competition they've had a monopoly in the thumb for to long.You know with M-19 being the main thoroughfare route through the thumb I would have thought it would have been a higher priority for cell tower placement but I guess since it fairly rural it doesn't get enough traffic like the expressways.To make matters worse since verizon choose to not build up their own network and lease tower space from thumb cellular we can't get verizon service here or on any of the cheaper mvno's like page plus or the recent walmart verizon iPhone deal.I did speak with verizon corporate personnel recently and he had said that verizon does have a license in this area so, I'd imagined in the next few years you"ll see them build up their own tower network......

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The reason you're only seeing either Edge or 4G is because AT&T classifies their 3G as 4G if they've got at least HSPA+14.4 capability in that specific area (some are HSPA 7.2mbps in which it will show 3G.) I might not be completely right about the speed classification but I know it's something along those lines. The iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 show 4G...

That really stinks you're in an edge only area... hopefully they update the tower you're on to 3G soon.
    I buy broken/used iPhones (4 & 4S) on any carrier! PM me info about your phone and your asking price and I'll get back to you!

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by bpaulson View Post
    The reason you're only seeing either Edge or 4G is because AT&T classifies their 3G as 4G if they've got at least HSPA+14.4 capability in that specific area (some are HSPA 7.2mbps in which it will show 3G.) I might not be completely right about the speed classification but I know it's something along those lines. The iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 show 4G...

That really stinks you're in an edge only area... hopefully they update the tower you're on to 3G soon.
    Yeah. All of AT&T's faux "4G" devices either display G for GPRS, E for Edge or H+ or 4G for their HSPA+ network and 4G LTE for their LTE Network. They don't even show 3G anymore unless the phone doesn't have a "4G" radio and is 3G only.

Sent from my PantechP9090 using HowardForums

Phones
    neXus 4
    neXus 4
    Galaxy SIII
    Carrier
    Straight Talk ATT
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mckey View Post
    I bought a net10 AT&T sim from a seller on ebay he cut the card to nano size so it would work in the iphone 5 , I thought it odd yesterday my phone signal would switch from edge to 4G only 1 bar at the most.I took a ride down the road about a mile and picked up the 4G signal so looks like I'm stuck between two cell towers and the edge is the stronger signal.But I guess it an encouraging sign that maybe their is some AT&T cell upgrade work in the area.I still haven't found any 3G signals in this area yet only edge according to the coverage map most of my area is 3G and the closest 4G is in the detroit suburbs about 60 miles south.
    Man that sucks. I can relate to your situation. At my job site i get full hspa+.. But once i get to the suite to relax and get to use my phone im stuck on edge lol. Good thing they have wifi which is a life saver.

Sent from my t999 with ST on AT&T network.
    neXus 4 | DBrand White Carbon Fiber Skin | Ringke Fusion Case | iSmooth Screen Protector | Straight Talk AT&T Sim
    Titanium Galaxy SIII T999 | Body Glove ShockSuit Case | iSmooth Screen Protector | Straight Talk AT&T Sim

Feedback Score
    I think you guys are right about AT&T in this area 3G showing as 4G on my phone anyway.I did a few speed tests walking down my driveway out to the road I get 2 bars of 4G but inside my house is only edge.I guess it could have been worse if I was locked into a two year phone contract with AT&T spending a hundred bucks + per month and finding out we only have edge service I would have really been pissed. The first four test results are 3G I think ?. And theirs no question about the last being edge .
    Name:  IMG_0012.PNG
Views: 2134
Size:  297.8 KB Name:  IMG_0011.PNG
Views: 2226
Size:  1.07 MB