Thread: VERIZON Samsung Galaxy S3 on Straight Talk 3G/4G speeds on I-535 on AT&T or T-Mobile

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I-535
    Droid Razr
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    AT&T Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Talking VERIZON Samsung Galaxy S3 on Straight Talk 3G/4G speeds on I-535 on AT&T or T-Mobile

Hi All,
    As the Title says

I have a VERIZON Version of Samsung Galaxy S3. This thread is meant for the Discussion of the Samsung Galaxy S3 CDMA Version. Not the International I9300 or the GSM i747/T999 Versions. Please I repeat, this thread is for the I535 Discussion.

Coming to the problem.

1. With the new Jelly Bean 4.1 update on December 16, 2012, Samsung Galaxy S3 I535 became a Global Phone. That means, In the same SIM Slot, You can Put a GSM SIM and a CDMA SIM Card
    ( My Brother uses CDMA Phone and he has a SIM Card for the Past 3 Years. So CDMA SIM Card is there, but not in USA )

2. Now, my Phone is Rooted, I have Super SU installed on my I535.
    3. I got APN Manager Pro and Titanium Backup Pro. Both Pro Version Combined for a little more than $8 from Play Store.
    4. I edited the APNs.
    5. I downloaded the SIMPLE Mobile DATA Settings App by Tracfone.
    6. Just click on the above App and the APN Settings for the Simple Mobile will be updated automatically. But You need to have the Root Access and make the APN Manager Pro a Android Program in Titanium Backup Pro. Otherwise I535 will not allow You to edit the APN. You will not see anything on that page, basically.
    7. Now I'm able to get EDGE Speeds, on the T-Mobile Network. I know that it will be the same for the Straight Talk T-Mobile Version as well.

Additional Information :
    I have the Unlimited 4G LTE from Verizon ( I'm going to keep it as long as Verizon offers it and that is the reason, I could not use another version Samsung Galaxy S3 I535) which is used as my Home Internet connection with out any issue for the past 1.5 Years.

So here is my actual question.

Is there any way, that I can get 3G Speeds, or 4G speeds on my I535? AT&T or T-Mobile Network?
    If I can flash some Custom ROM, since I have the Root access, will I be able to use, the Straight Talk AT&T SIM Card and get atleast 3G Speeds on the AT&T SIM Card (AT&T Network of Straight Talk)?

When I'm home, I have no issues about the Internet speed. But when I'm out, that is when the actual problem starts. 2G Speeds sucks and I want to browse at a faster pace.

Any help is highly appreciated.

More additional Information
    Without using the SIM card, if I go with the Flashing, I mean, buying the LG220 from Walmart.com and flashing my phone and editing my Phones Details, it is possible, that I will be able to got to the Verizon's CDMA Network, and with that, I will definitely get 3G speeds, which are OK with around 1.5 MBps. Since my I535 is from Verizon, I will not have much problems in browsing at a better speeds.

But I don't want to do all the flashing stuff, frankly looking for some easy way, just like SIM in and out, I'm good to go and use my I535 whichever way I want.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank You and Peace.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qzmpal View Post
    1. With the new Jelly Bean 4.1 update on December 16, 2012, Samsung Galaxy S3 I535 became a Global Phone. That means, In the same SIM Slot, You can Put a GSM SIM and a CDMA SIM Card

7. Now I'm able to get EDGE Speeds, on the T-Mobile Network. I know that it will be the same for the Straight Talk T-Mobile Version as well.

So here is my actual question. Is there any way, that I can get 3G Speeds, or 4G speeds on my I535? AT&T or T-Mobile Network?

Short answer: YES -- but only on AT&T.

Long answer:

Your problem is you are on crappy T-mobile. With the Jelly Bean upgrade your phone is now essentially an "international" Galaxy SIII GSM (Samsung I9300) GSM + LTE (SCH-I535) phone. The "international" version of the SIII does not have the high speed 1700 MHz T-mobile bands, only the AT&T bands.

Samsung Galaxy S III/SCH-I535

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...S_III/SCH-I535 claims your phone supports

• 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz;
    • 3G UMTS/HSPA+ (21 Mbps down, 5.76 Mbps up) 850, 1900, 2100 MHz <THIS IS IMPORTANT
    • 4G LTE 700, 1700 (AWS) MHz.

T-mobile uses 1700MHz for HSPA+ and uses 850 & 1900 MHz for 2G. (Yes, T-mobile is re-farming some of their 1900MHz spectrum to be HSPA+, but in many areas it's still on the 1700MHz band.) Your phone's GSM capability is NOT on the 1700 Mhz band. So, you get no T-mobile hi-speed data.

But the GOOD news is you will get AT&T hi-speed data! See, the AT&T version of the SIII (SGH-I747) has UMTS:
    850, 1900, 2100 MHz

EXACTLY like yours. So you are good to go on AT&T HSPA+. Just get a Straight Talk/Net10 "AT&T" sim card, configure the APN for that network, and fly like the wind.
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 03-07-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    I-535
    Droid Razr
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    AT&T Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    Short answer: YES -- but only on AT&T.

Long answer:

Your problem is you are on crappy T-mobile. With the Jelly Bean upgrade your phone is now essentially an "international" Galaxy SIII GSM (Samsung I9300) GSM + LTE (SCH-I535) phone. The "international" version of the SIII does not have the high speed 1700 MHz T-mobile bands, only the AT&T bands.

Samsung Galaxy S III/SCH-I535

http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...S_III/SCH-I535 claims your phone supports

• 2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz;
    • 3G UMTS/HSPA+ (21 Mbps down, 5.76 Mbps up) 850, 1900, 2100 MHz <THIS IS IMPORTANT
    • 4G LTE 700, 1700 (AWS) MHz.

T-mobile uses 1700MHz for HSPA+ and uses 850 & 1900 MHz for 2G. (Yes, T-mobile is re-farming some of their 1900MHz spectrum to be HSPA+, but in many areas it's still on the 1700MHz band.) Your phone's GSM capability is NOT on the 1700 Mhz band. So, you get no T-mobile hi-speed data.

But the GOOD news is you will get AT&T hi-speed data! See, the AT&T version of the SIII (SGH-I747) has UMTS:
    850, 1900, 2100 MHz

EXACTLY like yours. So you are good to go on AT&T HSPA+. Just get a Straight Talk/Net10 "AT&T" sim card, configure the APN for that network, and fly like the wind.
    Thanks a lot for the reply, chazzmatt,

With Your reply it is clear that, I will get HSPA speeds but it will be only on the AT&T Network.
    Atleast I'm getting HSPA speeds on some Network.
    I'm happy for that.

Second thing is, THIS IS REALLY REALLY VERY VERY IMPORTANT.

AT&T AND STRAIGHT TALK ARE HAVING SOME AGREEMNT ISSUES OR something, don't know What they call Technically, but from the March 1, 2013, AT&T Customers will be Throttled after they reach, 1.5 GB Data Limit, Whether it may be on the 2G or 3G or the 4G Data Speeds. This was told to me by the Straight Talk Representative.

I need the opinion of the People who are using AT&T SIM Cards and if their Data is being throttled after they reach 1.5 GB?

May be, if Straight Talk is paying more to AT&T than T-Mobile, for the Data, then Straight Representatives will tell Lies to its Customers that, AT&T customers will be throttled after 1.5 GB Data usage, so that the customers will buy T-Mobile SIM Cards.

These cheap tricks followed by these Companies, make me sick.

So calling all people who are using the AT&T Straight Talk SIM and if Your Data is really Throttled after You reach 1.5 GB Data Limit?

Thank You.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by qzmpal View Post
    Thanks a lot for the reply, chazzmatt,

AT&T AND STRAIGHT TALK ARE HAVING SOME AGREEMNT ISSUES OR something, don't know What they call Technically, but from the March 1, 2013, AT&T Customers will be Throttled after they reach, 1.5 GB Data Limit, Whether it may be on the 2G or 3G or the 4G Data Speeds. This was told to me by the Straight Talk Representative.

I need the opinion of the People who are using AT&T SIM Cards and if their Data is being throttled after they reach 1.5 GB?

So calling all people who are using the AT&T Straight Talk SIM and if Your Data is really Throttled after You reach 1.5 GB Data Limit?

Thank You.
    If there is a 1.5GB cap, instituted on March 1, no one has gotten to it yet. That was just a week ago.

Net10 (Straight Talk sister company, also owned by America Movil) went to the 1.5GB "AT&T" data cap on March 1, and told the public. Net10 also offered to give the "AT&T" sim customers a "T-mobile" sim which has unlimited data.

However, Straight Talk is in partnership with Wal-Mart, so it's more complicated there. Wal-mart apparently has not OK'ed admitting there's a cap...

Straight Talk reps have been telling customers, YES, we are now also under a 1.5GB cap for "AT&T" sims, while Wal-mart/Straight Talk is still advertising "unlimited" data. A Net10 rep told a media outlet the 1.5 GB cap only applied to Net10, not Straight Talk.

Yet, in emails and on the phone Straight Talk reps are telling customers, YES, you have a cap on "AT&T" sims.

So, which part of Straight Talk do you believe, the left hand or the right hand?

Probably just assume a 1.5GB cap and be pleasantly surprised if it's still the old "approximate" 2GB cap before throttling. (Yeah, there's always been a soft cap, they just wouldn't admit it in advertising, trying to claim blanket "unlimited".)
    Last edited by ChazzMatt; 03-08-2013 at 08:25 AM.

Feedback Score
    I have 2 questions here:

first, I have the Verizon SCH-I535. When I use the netmonitor app to choose which frequency to use it shows that I have frequencies 850, 900, 1800, and 1900. But it does not show 2100 as an option. Does that sound right?

second, I rooted the phone, installed Titanium and APN manager and activated it on Simple Mobile. Here is the weird part: I have talk and text. I am showing that I am getting edge. BUT i am only getting data with some of my apps (aquamail and my bank app-these work fine). Other apps (like Outlook, which is my main email) won't work at all. Also I have no internet. When I use internet it says "connection problem authentication via the proxy server was unsuccessful". I find it REALLY weird that I have data on some apps but not others or internet. It seems like it would be all or nothing. Any thoughts? HAs anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score
    The Verizon s3 won't get 3g on tmobile or att. Only edge.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using HowardForums

Carrier
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    i used 10GB last month. never was throttled, but they did pull my data completely. Got my data reset through FaceBook help. its a shame it takes longer then the old method of calling them directly, but at least it still works. i dont care what anyone says, as long as they continue to reset my data and i can use as much as i wish, its unlimited.

Feedback Score
    use AT&T phone on CDMA Network..???
    now verizon..is cdma network is using..but how to changing the internet setting apn. ?
    plz help me.
    xo thank..

Feedback Score

Unlimited, unthrottled on Verizon 4GLTE

Quote Originally Posted by Kayossno1 View Post
    i used 10GB last month. never was throttled, but they did pull my data completely. Got my data reset through FaceBook help. its a shame it takes longer then the old method of calling them directly, but at least it still works. i dont care what anyone says, as long as they continue to reset my data and i can use as much as i wish, its unlimited.
    Were you referring to AT&T or Verizon data?

Feedback Score
    I would like to stop other people from making the same mistake as I did and purchasing a straighttalk/net10 (AT&T) sim card for their Verizon i535 s3.

THE POST I'M RESPONDING TO IS(Post #2) MISINFORMATION.

Or at least is if you're running stock UI. Admittedly, I'm new to the android game(ex-blackberry user), so there may be some kind of root/flashing/mod magic to make the Verizon i535 get 3G data speeds on straighttalk/net10 AT&T sim cards, but unfortunately its not as plug and play as getting an AT&T compatible sim, throwing it in your Verizon i535 and getting 3G data speeds.

I have a i535 and i currently have a net10 sim compatible with AT&T networks in it; so I speak from experience(something that many people in the Android community seem to not do too often(no offense to you all, but it seems like there are a lot of conflicting opinions on the internet on how Android phones work(something I'm not used to, coming from the Blackberry community))), I get edge speeds. I was sorely disappointed because I thought an AT&T sim from straighttalk/net10 would solve all my problems. This comes after trudging through a month with simple mobile and their T-Mobile network usage(which also delivers 2G data speeds). Unfortunately, I stumbled across the following on another forum after I got my net10 sim and realized I wasn't getting 3G speeds:

Name:  verizon i535.jpg
Views: 31731
Size:  16.5 KB

My conclusion from the things I've seen, and the bottom like is: Verizon s3's aren't any good for activating with MVNOs, particularly the 4G LTE versions(do they even make a 3G version of the s3 in the US? I'm used to the wonderful wireless market they have in Hong Kong, where they did have 3G models). When I stubbornly took my s3 to Verizon to get it activated on their $60/month prepaid monthly plan I was told they could only activate it on 4G plans. Good news though; they had a monthly 4G plan... All yours for "as low" as $120/month!!! Forget that!!! I'm going to sell mine ASAP and get an AT&T, T-Mobile, or hell, even Sprint s3 replacement. Don't bother with the Verizon s3.

I hope this thread/post will find an Android newcomer(like myself) and help them to save the same ammount of time, money, and effort in vain that I spent trying to get my helpless i535 running on reasonably priced 3G(or preferably 4G) MVNO services.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robertw006 View Post
    I would like to stop other people from making the same mistake as I did and purchasing a straighttalk/net10 (AT&T) sim card for their Verizon i535 s3.

THE POST I'M RESPONDING TO IS(Post #2) MISINFORMATION.

Or at least is if you're running stock UI. Admittedly, I'm new to the android game(ex-blackberry user), so there may be some kind of root/flashing/mod magic to make the Verizon i535 get 3G data speeds on straighttalk/net10 AT&T sim cards, but unfortunately its not as plug and play as getting an AT&T compatible sim, throwing it in your Verizon i535 and getting 3G data speeds.

I have a i535 and i currently have a net10 sim compatible with AT&T networks in it; so I speak from experience(something that many people in the Android community seem to not do too often(no offense to you all, but it seems like there are a lot of conflicting opinions on the internet on how Android phones work(something I'm not used to, coming from the Blackberry community))), I get edge speeds. I was sorely disappointed because I thought an AT&T sim from straighttalk/net10 would solve all my problems. This comes after trudging through a month with simple mobile and their T-Mobile network usage(which also delivers 2G data speeds). Unfortunately, I stumbled across the following on another forum after I got my net10 sim and realized I wasn't getting 3G speeds:

Name:  verizon i535.jpg
Views: 31731
Size:  16.5 KB

My conclusion from the things I've seen, and the bottom like is: Verizon s3's aren't any good for activating with MVNOs, particularly the 4G LTE versions(do they even make a 3G version of the s3 in the US? I'm used to the wonderful wireless market they have in Hong Kong, where they did have 3G models). When I stubbornly took my s3 to Verizon to get it activated on their $60/month prepaid monthly plan I was told they could only activate it on 4G plans. Good news though; they had a monthly 4G plan... All yours for "as low" as $120/month!!! Forget that!!! I'm going to sell mine ASAP and get an AT&T, T-Mobile, or hell, even Sprint s3 replacement. Don't bother with the Verizon s3.

I hope this thread/post will find an Android newcomer(like myself) and help them to save the same ammount of time, money, and effort in vain that I spent trying to get my helpless i535 running on reasonably priced 3G(or preferably 4G) MVNO services.

guys my mother wants to buy this cdma straight talk s3 tomorrow...
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-T...ingMethod=p13n
    will she be using verizon towers with this???

what kind of speeds can she expect? hspa? or LTE?

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Straight Talk(AT&T Sim)
    Feedback Score
    She'll be on the Sprint PREPAID towers. The S3 will be on LTE(currently the only ST phone to do so). However, that is Sprint prepaid LTE...so not very good coverage.

HSPA+ is a GSM technology. With CDMA, you get Ev-Do(3G) or LTE(4G).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dovedescent7 View Post
    guys my mother wants to buy this cdma straight talk s3 tomorrow...
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-T...ingMethod=p13n
    will she be using verizon towers with this???

what kind of speeds can she expect? hspa? or LTE?
    the straight talk galaxy S3 runs on sprint prepaid no roaming network. it has LTE on sprint