Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 on ST Sim card?

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 on ST Sim card?

My wife and I are trying to switch back to Straight Talk from Virgin (best to worse reception here 53916 is Verizon/tmobile/att/sprint).

We'd like to get a couple of "NEW-SAMSUNG-T989-GALAXY-S-II-BLACK-UNLOCKED-16GB-GSM-8MP-GPS-WIFI-AT-T-T-MOBILE- (item# 181058458425 $363) off ebay, get a t-mobile Straight Talk Sim and use their $45 unlimited plan.

1. Is it as easy as Buy_phone, Get_Sim&plan_card, Insert_sim and activate phone online?

2. From what I understand, buying an AT&T Straightalk sim card (on ebay) will give us AT&T coverage/speeds, same for tmobile sim will give us tmobile coverage/speeds? 3g/4g too ?

3. Can we easily switch between tmobile and AT&T sim card to find out which we prefer (1st month with att then with tmobile then decide which one we prefer?)

4. In the "Good smartphones to get with Straight Talk sim" thread, it says for tmobile SGS2
    * "all of these will get at&t 3g/4g", will it get 3g/4g from tmobile also ?
    * "May need a modem/radio flashed to it to get right bands", what are the chances? it is hard to do?

Is there a better phone around the $250-$300 range that would be easier to couple with ST? Cheapest I could find on ebay (on good condition) is around $280 for an unlocked tmobile SGS2. I know there are verizon supported android phones through ST but none that we want.

Weird thing, as I am typing this and doing more research on SGS2 phones, I found a Samsung Galaxy S III S3 4G LTE i9305 for $310 from a site called altiuscart, guessing it's too good to be true. Seems to be a site from GB.

Thank you for any and all help

PS: I just read/watched some reviews on the Google Nexus 4 after seeing it recommended on a thread and wondering if this one will work with both att and tmobile sims.
    Last edited by Coersum; 03-10-2013 at 03:40 AM.

Carriers
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The t989 will work 3g/4g on both ATT and Tmobile after it's been unlocked, as you described.

The Google Nexus 4 (LG) will also work, it comes in 8 and 16gb models (no microSD slot), the 8gb is 299 plus shipping.

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score

Get the nexus 4, much better than the galaxy s2, and 380 is a rip off. Walmart sells them for $300 brand new, but the nexus is way better all around.

Feedback Score

Re: T-Mobile Galaxy S2 T989 on ST Sim card?

I got brand new T989 on Ebay for 236 shipped. Of coarse it was a rare deal but new umlocked one should cost around $290-$300 on Ebay.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto Zap View Post
    Get the nexus 4, much better than the galaxy s2, and 380 is a rip off. Walmart sells them for $300 brand new, but the nexus is way better all around.
    I guess you meant $280 used is a ripoff? I found "Walmart Family Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II 4G Smartphone, Steel Gray" at walmart but it's not unlocked. I tried to look around and search for a way to unlock it but haven't anything concrete, I read that the usual "fax receipt of full purchase for unlock code" does not work.

Feedback Score
    check over at xda. there is a free T989 unlock code. it may require you to root and flash the stock radio version that works with it. done it twice and not that difficult. For the same $300, the nexus 4 is better.

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coersum View Post
    I guess you meant $280 used is a ripoff? I found "Walmart Family Mobile Samsung Galaxy S II 4G Smartphone, Steel Gray" at walmart but it's not unlocked. I tried to look around and search for a way to unlock it but haven't anything concrete, I read that the usual "fax receipt of full purchase for unlock code" does not work.
    You said you found a new one for 363 but your better off with the nexus 4 either way. The 8gb is $299 and overall better than the s2 (which is from 2011) plus the nexus 4 is already unlocked so your set out of box.

Feedback Score

The reason people may choose gs 2 over nexus is because removable battery, sd card slot and t-mobile wifi calling capability.

If any of those do not matter to you then I'd go with Nexus 4.

Note that if you install many apps 8 gb run out pretty quickly, I realized that when I bought galaxy tab 2 7.0. I also hade Nexus 7.

Unless you have app 2 sd which Nexus 4 does not have natively, u will soon regret if u get the 8gb one.

Another thing about non removable battery phone is that you should sell it after 1 year of use because the battery wil degrade beyond 1 year significantly, unless you plan on changing it yourself. Sell it while it has some value left.

Feedback Score
    We're still split in the decision, I would go for the nexus but the no-sdcard and non-removable battery bugs me. My wife still wants the SGS2 but hearing about the flashing of the stock radio which I have no clue how to do (and doing a search on it got me even more confused) makes it annoying but my wife wants that heh.

I flashed my Xoom to a new rom a year ago but there was much more information about it. If anyone has a link with what I need to do exactly (how-to's) to make the walmart Tmobile SGS2 work with StraightTalk Tmobile sim, please post it, it would be truly appreciated.

Thanks.

Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If anyone has a link with what I need to do exactly (how-to's) to make the walmart Tmobile SGS2 work with StraightTalk Tmobile sim, please post it, it would be truly appreciated.

You don't have to do anything if you're going to use Straight Talk T-Mobile sim on the Walmart Samsung Galaxy S2 native to T-mobile, they only have a black unit and yesterday I saw inside Wally's for $299.99.

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coersum View Post
    ok, let me ask you, when was the last time you ever needed to change batteries, i have the 16g version of Nexus 4 i'm using right now n i have never felt of running out space. unless storing gazillion of data. but in the end, we have the last say "yes dear"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using HowardForums
    Samsung SM-N900A 32GB
    Samsung SGH-I337 32GB

Feedback Score

Lithium battery losing its capacity is common just ask any iphone users who has owned the phone more than a year as they have longest history of non removable battery phones.

None removable battery phone requires its phone to be attached to a wall/car chargers. But as for gs2 u can just rotate the batteries. No need to be tied to a wall charger. This is critical when you are out. One battery is not enougt for me to last all day.

Couple of my students never use the sd card slot on their phones but many others have to have them. So this area is solely up to the user.

Nexus 4 is a great phone but I'd rather take Optimus G because Of the limits that Google has placed on N4.

Please Let him decide for himself. Please do not force him into anything. Present clear facts so he could be happy with the decision that he makes.

Here is a link to guide on how to unlock t989 for free. I was able to unlock two gs2s using this guide.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2024514

Phone
    LG G2
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ssibaroma View Post
    Lithium battery losing its capacity is common just ask any iphone users who has owned the phone more than a year as they have longest history of non removable battery phones.

None removable battery phone requires its phone to be attached to a wall/car chargers. But as for gs2 u can just rotate the batteries. No need to be tied to a wall charger. This is critical when you are out. One battery is not enougt for me to last all day.

Couple of my students never use the sd card slot on their phones but many others have to have them. So this area is solely up to the user.

Nexus 4 is a great phone but I'd rather take Optimus G because Of the limits that Google has placed on N4.

Please Let him decide for himself. Please do not force him into anything. Present clear facts so he could be happy with the decision that he makes.

Here is a link to guide on how to unlock t989 for free. I was able to unlock two gs2s using this guide.

I went with a T989 over the N4 for exactly the reasons you posted. My wife on the other hand is all about the N4. This from people who have had top of the line devices several times, in the end it all comes down to what suits your needs. Both are rock solid phones with their own pros and cons.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ssibaroma View Post

curious which optimus g model would that be with a replaceable battery, Optimus G E970 which is AT&T also has 2100mAh non-replaceable battery, granted, it has expandable memory sd slot.

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score

If you absolute need a removable battery and sd card slot I'd get a galaxy s3. The s4 is about to be announced the the s2 is 2 generations behind. I'm sure the s3 will fall in price and be available on prepaid soon enough at Walmart etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast