Thread: Getting unlimited straight talk service...for free?

Feedback Score

Getting unlimited straight talk service...for free?

Honestly I am not even sure what to say at this point. It's nuts...but here's my long story short...(Ok, not SO short..)

I've had straight talk for over two years.
    Moved to an area that could only use verizon towers so got a verizon based straight talk phone.
    Three months ago I moved to an area where I could only use AT&T towers (yes, I live in the boonies.)
    I bought an AT&T based smartphone from straight talk and ported my straight talk number over to it.
    I quickly found that I hated the smart phone and searched for a standard straight talk phone with a qwerty that used the AT&T network. Found one on straight talk's website and ordered it.

It arrived and I attempted to port my number over to the new phone. I waited...and waited. 24 hours later the port wasn't complete. Old smart phone still worked though and my service card expired that night. Phone continued to work despite having no service card and it would NOT allow me to add one.

I tried to call straight talk and got the dreaded "due to high call volume, please call later" for 3 full days. Old phone continued to work.

I submitted a ticket to straight talk thru facebook asking why my port was not completed. They responded 2 days later. "The port cannot occur because the phone number is inactive."

Me: "No, it's active. I'm using it now."
    Straight talk: "We need a number to call you that is not your straight talk phone number." (I provided. They NEVER call me.)

Two weeks later I finally get thru. I called from my work phone and so the convo was actually recorded. I'm told the old phone is inactive...I tell her "No, ma'am. It's still working." She says they SHOW it as inactive so they cannot port over my old number. They say they can only turn off the old phone service and number and activate my new phone with a new number.

Me: "Well, that sucks."

Straight talk: "Ok, we have canceled the port and the old phone you have is now inactive. Let's activate your new phone..."

Me: "Why is the old phone still working?"
    Straight talk: "It's not working, ma'am."
    Me: "Oh..."

I get a new number on my new phone. It's been 3 weeks...the old phone? It still works with my old number intact. My straight talk login also shows the smartphone as an "Inactive" phone. WTF? Am I breaking any laws to just be like "YAY! Free phone!" ??? How many times do I have to tell them it still works before I just go with it?? I don't really like the phone but, heck, free is free...

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: Getting unlimited straight talk service...for free?

I say roll with it.

Sent from my PantechP9090 using HowardForums

Carriers
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I'd say go with it also, but sadly you've lost the number, if/when it stops working then there's nothing you can really do.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howaboutthatshi View Post
    Honestly I am not even sure what to say at this point. It's nuts...but here's my long story short...(Ok, not SO short..)

I've had straight talk for over two years.
    Moved to an area that could only use verizon towers so got a verizon based straight talk phone.
    Three months ago I moved to an area where I could only use AT&T towers (yes, I live in the boonies.)
    I bought an AT&T based smartphone from straight talk and ported my straight talk number over to it.
    I quickly found that I hated the smart phone and searched for a standard straight talk phone with a qwerty that used the AT&T network. Found one on straight talk's website and ordered it.

It arrived and I attempted to port my number over to the new phone. I waited...and waited. 24 hours later the port wasn't complete. Old smart phone still worked though and my service card expired that night. Phone continued to work despite having no service card and it would NOT allow me to add one.

I tried to call straight talk and got the dreaded "due to high call volume, please call later" for 3 full days. Old phone continued to work.

I submitted a ticket to straight talk thru facebook asking why my port was not completed. They responded 2 days later. "The port cannot occur because the phone number is inactive."

Me: "No, it's active. I'm using it now."
    Straight talk: "We need a number to call you that is not your straight talk phone number." (I provided. They NEVER call me.)

Two weeks later I finally get thru. I called from my work phone and so the convo was actually recorded. I'm told the old phone is inactive...I tell her "No, ma'am. It's still working." She says they SHOW it as inactive so they cannot port over my old number. They say they can only turn off the old phone service and number and activate my new phone with a new number.

Me: "Well, that sucks."

Straight talk: "Ok, we have canceled the port and the old phone you have is now inactive. Let's activate your new phone..."

Me: "Why is the old phone still working?"
    Straight talk: "It's not working, ma'am."
    Me: "Oh..."

I get a new number on my new phone. It's been 3 weeks...the old phone? It still works with my old number intact. My straight talk login also shows the smartphone as an "Inactive" phone. WTF? Am I breaking any laws to just be like "YAY! Free phone!" ??? How many times do I have to tell them it still works before I just go with it?? I don't really like the phone but, heck, free is free...
    You used the incorrect activation option. You should have used transfer my service from another Straight Talk telephone. Although you are changing the underlying carrier, it is not considered a port when you are using the same Mobile Virtual Network Operator.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score

Yeah I'd say enjoy the free service I've heard a few people in the past reporting that there phones were also continuing to get free service. Hopefully it'll just work for a long time. Can't argue with free (:

Feedback Score

That's legiiiit. What I would do is give out and start using a google voice number starting now, so in case they cut you off all of a sudden, you can reactivate without a hiccup.

Enjoy your free service!

Between the cheap refills I've been getting along with a couple activation kit discount specials straight talk ran last year, do the math and I've been getting "free" service too. Although yours is truly free

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    You used the incorrect activation option. You should have used transfer my service from another Straight Talk telephone. Although you are changing the underlying carrier, it is not considered a port when you are using the same Mobile Virtual Network Operator.
    I did select that option (transfer my service from another straight talk phone.) I only mention carriers to explain why I went through 3 phones within a 2 month period (I had to find a phone I liked with straight talk that was based on the AT&T network). The phone still works today...it's been a full month now.

I had already accepted that the number was lost so when and if it does disconnect I'll just come to terms with it, I suppose. Shawn, thanks for the suggestion on the google voice number. Off to do that now!

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: Getting unlimited straight talk service...for free?

I say, its their Stupidity and Their Mistake so go with it. Its Not your fault their system screwed the port up. If its showing inactive and not activated on their system but you can continue to make and receive calls on it, keep on Keeping On!

Sent from my PantechP9070 using HowardForums

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    As they said in Star Wars on several occasions, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

Phones
    iPhone 4s
    iPhone 5 Sprint
    Blackberry 8530 Boostmobile/iPhone 4s (Sprint/Straight Talk/Page Plus)
    Carriers
    Sprint (2000-Present) Straight Talk AT&T SIM (2012) Page Plus Cellular (2012)
    Telcel Amigo Prepaid Mexico(2011-Present) Nokia 252N with Telcel(1999) and Iusacell(2000)
    Feedback Score

I have friend that got free service for about 6 months. She stopped paying for the service and the phone continued to work for about six months. It was an AT&T sim on an iphone 3gs and on straighttalk.com it would show as waiting for activation all the tjme
    Sprint User Since 2000 & AT&T GoPhone since 2013
    Free 3G Verizon Roaming with custom PRL

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Samsung R355C (wife's)
    Motorola V600 (oversea travel)
    Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Just hope or wish they won't send you a bill for usage of that inactive line.

Feedback Score
    Keep the free phone, it is ST's fault for not knowing how to port a number (as has happened many times).

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Just hope or wish they won't send you a bill for usage of that inactive line.
    It is prepaid, doubt it'll happen. I remember reading a thread here that was similar to this a while ago too.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    One thing to remember about porting. You port a number from an original carrier to your new carrier. When you port again, the number is released back to the original carrier and the original carrier then ports the number to the third carrier. So the Original Poster's number may be stuck back at the carrier he had before first getting Straight Talk service unless he got an original Straight Talk telephone number. Without this provision in the local number portability regulations, some carriers would lose all their telephone numbers.