Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kyocera Torque!

Feedback Score

Kyocera Torque!

How is this phone anyone touch it yet?

Im very interested in it, i don't need push to talk but I do like it cause its rugged..

Phones
    i776
    i875
    i1
    Carriers
    nextel/sprint
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I went in to a Sprint store the day it was released to buy it; but they wouldn't sell me one that they had there instead they made me order it.
    this message was posted from a i1 “iDroid" using opera mini 5.1
    Check out the >iDEN Facebook group and the Direct Connect Facebook page<

Carriers
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    I bought this phone on release day and although it has its bugs like any newly released phone it is quite impressive.
    Build quality seems pretty solid. The sound from the loud speaker is the loudest I've heard from a phone to date. Battery life is great so far under moderate use. Gps seemed to be a bit buggy on first use but kicked in correctly after a restart of my navigation app.
    So far my only complaints are with the Ptt functions/software. Coming from a Motorola Admiral, I liked being able to see a visual confirmation on the screen when you hit a contact name after pressing the DC button from any screen. The bubble or window would show the contacts name and tell you to hit the DC button to start your DC call. At this time, it seems to just DC the last person you called and to DC another person you must select their DC number from your contacts/addressbook. Another problem that is a frustrating one is the fact that DC calls don't always come in at the volume you have your loudspeaker set to. I received a few DC calls which very quiet, to the point where I had to put the phone to my ear to hear the other party. It's as if I had hit the button on the top of the phone to turn the loudspeaker off. The only way to reset this for me has been to restart the phone.
    Another issue I found was that these phones are set to CDMA only mode out of the box. If you are in an LTE area you must change this to LTE & CDMA mode manually, but beware, this mode disables Ptt. This is yet another thing Sprint needs to iron out because I use both LTE and Ptt.
    So far this is all I've found I'll update this post as I find more bugs/issues.

//Ernie

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Star Trek Communicator (Nokia N76 prototype)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    ercave1's description of PTT behavior is more in-depth (kudos, man!) than mine, but if you're looking for a broader view of the Torque, I've just completed a review over at Pocketnow:

Kyocera Torque Review

Enjoy!
    Twitter: Captain2Phones Carriers Used: Sprint PCS, Nextel, T-Mobile, AT&T, Boost Mobile. Phone Manufacturers Used: Samsung, LG, Motorola, RIM, HTC, Sanyo, Danger, Palm, Apple.

Feedback Score
    We've had four brand new Torques, three have been bad (random freeze-ups, shut-downs, self-reboots).

All four of our Torques have good sound, with the exception that on all four of our Torques, the MICROPHONE does not work when in speakerphone mode. The speaker works great when in speakerphone mode, but the microphone is apparently not activated properly when set to speakerphone mode, so other callers can hear almost nothing we say when we reply to them over the speaker.

Please, any Torque users who have experienced any glitches, do take a moment to report them all to Sprint, because so far Kyocera claims "there are no known issues with the Torque", which is a load of bull.

The Sprint CDMA-based PTT so far is nowhere near as reliable as Nextel DC was, but when fairly close to a Sprint tower with 3G, it works pretty well.

RE: (ercave1) "...I liked being able to see a visual confirmation on the screen when you hit a contact name after pressing the DC button from any screen. The bubble or window would show the contacts name and tell you to hit the DC button to start your DC call. At this time, it seems to just DC the last person you called and to DC another person you must select their DC number from your contacts/addressbook."
    > On our Torques, Under "System Settings/Direct Connect Settings/One-Touch DC/Action" we have our PTT button set to "Launch DC call log list" and right below that, "Action when screen off" is set to "Enable". Once those two things are set that way, a single press of the DC button brings up the recent DC call history list (the last five entries are visible, flick the screen upward to go farther down the list - it's quite a long list), a single touch of any DC number in that list brings that number up by itself into a new window, then we just press & hold PTT to initiate that DC call (or tap the Alert icon, then press DC button to send an alert instead).

RE: (ercave1) "If you are in an LTE area you must change this to LTE & CDMA mode manually, but beware, this mode disables Ptt. This is yet another thing Sprint needs to iron out because I use both LTE and Ptt."
    > I saw a posting on Sprint's Community website stating that this will be corrected in a future software update, although of course no date was given.

Again, any and all of you that are having issues of any type with your Torques, please let Sprint know about them. And if you have not yet actually tested your Torque during a regular phone conversation in speakerphone mode, call someone you know with the phone held to your head, then tell them you're going to put the Torque into speakerphone mode, set it on the table and activate speakerphone mode, and see if they can hear what you say with the phone on the table and you seated & speaking in a normal voice. I'd appreciate hearing what the rest of you find when you try speakerphone mode during a regular cellular call.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Phone
    Nexus 6
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Androidcentral just did a full review of the Kyocera Torque. http://www.androidcentral.com/kyocera-torque-review
    Sensorly --- Signal Check Pro --- Root Metrics

$40 - Unlimited (Framily)
    $15 - 2GB Tablet Plan

HAVE YOU READ THE FORUM RULES??

Phone
    Motorola Admiral
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score

Sprint Kyocera Torque new Direct Connect Smartphone

So I decided to upgrade from my Motorola Admiral to the new Kyocera Torque 4G Direct Connect Smartphone. Very nice phone and much faster than my Motorola Admiral, but the Direct Connect will not work with 4G LTE. I thought the purpose of a new 4G phone with Direct Connect would make the DC faster. If I enable 4G LTE on the phone, a screen pops up and say "Direct connect cannot be used with LTE"

What is the reason why? Thanks if anyone can help me out.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Verizon (MiFi)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattguy View Post
    What is the reason why? Thanks if anyone can help me out.
    I noticed that myself, and I couldn't say for sure, but I'm guessing that they haven't implemented the QoS and fully tested running DC over LTE, so they just aren't supporting it at this point.

Phone
    Motorola Admiral
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Just talked to my business rep, and she stated that it will not be available until Aug. 2013. She told me they had a meeting this morning about it and also stated the final day of IDEN will be June 29th at midnite.

Phone
    Motorola Admiral
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Anyone have a Torque yet? My DC has been down since friday and have spent 3 hours with reps to no avail.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Verizon (MiFi)
    Feedback Score
    Anyone have a Torque yet? My DC has been down since friday and have spent 3 hours with reps to no avail.
    Mine can be a bit finicky in dropping the DC connection, but it's generally been working fine for me.

Phone
    Motorola Admiral
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Can you do me a favor and look in your apps and see what size your dc connect app is? I have two and one is 64kb and the other its 0.00kb. I think somehow they got corrupted. All three of my torque's went down at the same time. My admirals on the same account are still up.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    I've posted elsewhere here that we had to go through five Torques to get two that work. By "work" I mean they randomly shut down/freeze up/self-reboot only every couple of days, as compared to doing that a few times each day with the first three. Severe lack of quality control at Kyocera, in either software or hardware or both, and an apparent lack of commitment on Sprint's part to take the bull by the horns and resolve these many severe issues with the Kyoceras.

Also, all five Torques do not work when in speakerphone mode on regular full-duplex voice calls—we can hear other caller over our speaker, they can hear almost nothing that we say on our end.

Our Sprint Direct Connect is also flaky. We have no 4G here, so our Torques are always locked into CDMA Only mode, but at least once a day one of our Torques decides to shut off Direct Connect altogether, all on its own. Sometimes both phones has good signal, DC speakers are on, Direct Connect available symbols are green (i.e. the ">" symbol is green), yet it refuses to accept an incoming DC call until you send an outgoing DC call first, then it will begin to accept incoming DC again. Sometimes during a period of no Dc for a few hours, it just turns of DC on its own, so the DC symbol (">") is grayed out and has a large red slash all the way through the > symbol. Sometimes the refusal to DC requires us to power-cycle one or both of the Torques. I'm not sure how much of that issue is within the Torques themselves, and how much is the Sprint CDMA network (which around here so far is really weak & spotty—hardly any decent 3G anywhere in our area).

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Verizon (MiFi)
    Feedback Score
    Can you do me a favor and look in your apps and see what size your dc connect app is? I have two and one is 64kb and the other its 0.00kb. I think somehow they got corrupted. All three of my torque's went down at the same time. My admirals on the same account are still up.
    Where are you seeing that number? I was looking in Apps, and don't see an option for All Apps, just Downloaded, on SD Card, and Running, and the Running page seems to only show the memory usage, not the space used (although the process for DC shows as 1.9MB for Running).

Phones
    i776
    i875
    i1
    Carriers
    nextel/sprint
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Same here. DC was working good then out of the blue it stops working. DC hasn't worked for 5 days straight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast