Thread: using wifi only for cell phone calls

Feedback Score

using wifi only for cell phone calls

Thinking of dumping my att voice plan and using wifi only as a way to send and receive phone calls. I do have a Google voice account.

Is this possible???

If it is, money is real tight right now so I was going to buy a phone on ebay, any suggestions?

If this was answered else are on the forum, would you be kind enough to direct me.

Thanks,

Tony

Phone
    3G, 5c, 5s, Galaxy S Blaze, LG L90 (D415)...
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you're going to dump AT&T, why not go with T-Mobile? They have Wifi-Calling on most of their phones at no extra cost.

Feedback Score
    Hey, it's easy to find a cellphone compatible with WIFI, as this function prevails on most phones now.By"only as a way to send and receive phone calls" means a cheap phone which, doesn't have to be excude all other software.I have buy one simple phone with bluetooth, wifi and MSN in Tinydeal, the quaility is not bad.
    Hope that is useful for u.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    ^^Actually phones with wifi and 'wifi calling' are two different things. Most phones these days comes with wifi capability for internet/data access, but with wifi calling the feature MUST be built-in to the phone, and the only ones I know of are T-Mobile branded phones. When Wifi is turned on, the 'wifi calling' logo will also come on letting you know that calls are ready to be made using an internet connection. Your minutes would still count towards the usage. This feature is also useful if you're traveling outside of the U.S. and wanted to call home (wifi calling using an existing internet connection) and it is free.

Phones
    nexus 4
    NEXUS 4 / N900
    xperia pro mk16i silver & mk16a black
    Carriers
    T-MOBILE USA
    GLOBE
    Feedback Score

Re: using wifi only for cell phone calls

you have google voice w/c i guess you have a US number. talkatone and groove ip uses your gv number in order to work. it doesn't cost a thing if you call us numbers. you can send sms with talkatone too.

it's an android app and i think there's an ios port too.

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Many people have confirmed that the quality of Google voice isn't as good. T-Mobile's wifi calling is crystal clear -- like having 5 full bars!

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    AT&T is not gonna let you have a smartphone without a voice plan and still have data on their network if that is what you are thinking about doing.

If you plan to drop cell service all together and just use your phone on WiFI, then Google Voice VOIP calls through GrooveIP work fine, and sound fine... I have used it myself on occasion.

Feedback Score
    I have a friend that uses Wi-Fi when she runs out of minutes. It can be frustrating because when she's on the road Wi-Fi isn't always available, or it's secured and requires a password. You might do better getting a prepaid plan in combination with using Wi-Fi to reduce the amount of minutes you need.

Save the earth - Recycle!
    Cell It Used

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't know about other carriers but with T-mobile, wifi-calling count towards your minutes no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by gipi View Post
    I have a friend that uses Wi-Fi when she runs out of minutes. It can be frustrating because when she's on the road Wi-Fi isn't always available, or it's secured and requires a password. You might do better getting a prepaid plan in combination with using Wi-Fi to reduce the amount of minutes you need.

Save the earth - Recycle!
    Cell It Used

Feedback Score
    She has an iPod with an app for sending and receiving texts. If one wants to ditch a cell phone plan completely and use only Wi-Fi, it could be done. If you work in an office all day that has Wi-Fi and go straight home where you have Wi-Fi and don't care if you have signal while traveling, with the right app and Google Voice it's possible. However, in my opinion, it would be inconvenient.

Cell It Used

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone who responded.
    Guess I was not really clear on this.
    I have a ATT voice plain I share, voice only no data, and there has been a data block on the line for years.
    Just bought a ATT Fusion 2 on eBay. I have no desire to use ATT data services, and have shut off the data transfer mode.(will use WiFi only)
    So........
    Can I put my SIM card in this and using it as voice only as far as ATT goes?
    Also using the WiFi section of the phone, what apps would I need to use my gmail phone number.( I plan to use the WiFi part of the phone to limit my chargeable minutes on ATT whenever i have the WiFi connection.)
    Also looking at rooting the phone and cleaning out the bloatware.
    I know this is a lot, forgive me if I was not clear the fist time.
    Any help deeply appreciated, thanks in advance!!! : >
    PS, a local store rep said ATT scans the network every so often looking for serial numbers that are smartphones and then forcing people to buy a data plan, if that's true maybe I'm best setting this up as WiFi only . Anyone ever hear of this?

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, any 'WiFi-capability' phone can utilize wifi so long as you have a password to log in. It has nothing do with the carrier's data - unless you have a data plan, then you'd have both. As for regular voice/text, first of all the phone must be 'unlocked' for you to use your own sim, unless it is an AT&T phone (like you mention for the Fusion 2) then it shouldn't be a problem. Also, you can use any dead smartphone for wifi as long as you have an internet connection or password to connect. You don't need to have a voice plan, but it serves no purpose.

I know T-Mobile have Wifi-Calling embedded on most of their phones (including the amazing new HTC ONE LTE) but it counts towards your minutes. This is good especially if you're traveling. You can use the feature as long as there is internet connection to call any U.S. number from anywhere in the world for free! I'm with T-Mobile but too bad my unlocked iPhone 3G can't make wifi calls nor do I have a data plan. I do connect at home using wifi occasionally, say if I'm sitting in my porcelain throne.

Feedback Score
    Thanks RazorEater,
    I set this up using grooVe ip lite and G voice. Works well at home, will try outside today.
    Probably 70% of the calls I do are around a Wifi connection, can't see any reason to pay att more that I need to.
    Thanks again to all who replied!!!

Feedback Score
    I see many people doing this nowadays. Seems like a good way to save money just a headache when no wifi is around.

Phones
    Moto G
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Moto G, Lumian 925
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    TelnaMobile
    Feedback Score
    There are several ways to do this. First, there are two types of mobile VOIP:
    1. Integrated: Like T-Mobile's UMA. There is an subsystem built into the phone that uses a WiFi signal as just another carrier layer, like GSM or CDMA. In this case the use of WiFi is automatic as long as it's connected. You dial, send texts, etc just as you would on a cellular signal.
    AFAIK, only two US carriers have this: T-Mobile and Republic Wireless.
    2. Bolt on: You load an app on your phone (e.g. Skype, Talkatone, Bobsled, SIP client) that provides voice (and perhaps text) support. In most cases you need to run the app and use its dialer to call via VOIP. A few carriers may provide a VOIP server with automatic switch-over when you connect to their server. (e.g. TelnaMobile, Tru). This method tends to require a bit more activity on the part of the user.

One possible solution to your problem is to get a StraightTalk (or maybe AirVoice) SIM for your phone and go to some low-usage prepaid plan. Install a Google Voice app and use that app to make most calls via WiFi. Have GV ring to both the app and your phone and only answer the phone ring if you don't have WiFi access. Tell all your friends to call only on the GV number.

That or look into Republic Wireless.
    Donald Newcomb