Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE READ!!: Merge Straight Talk Forum with Net10/Tracfone Forum

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    EndeavorOR, are you aware that they all used to be one forum but there were so many problems that the only way to straighten it out was to split Straight Talk off as its own forum.
    EndeavorOR, you never answered my question. Which is

are you aware that they all used to be one forum but there were so many problems that the only way to straighten it out was to split Straight Talk off as its own forum

Carrier
    R+ - Zact - Lyca
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    Merge the forums to REORGANIZE them in a better way. I explained it thoroughly. Try reading it again.

EndeavorOR's idea shows forward thinking, but just to merge them into one pot wouldn't work. Merge the common interest groups together of Net10 & Straight Talk. Have Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk -- then inside have 3 or 4 subforums for the various classifications.

For instance over at the HoFo MetroPCS forum, they have a sub-forum for "Androids". People who just want to talk about plans or crappy feature phones get the "general" forum, people who want to talk about the MetroPCS Androids have a specific subforum. IT WORKS.

Do that, but multiplied by however many most-talked about topics between Net10 and Straight Talk.
    Maybe you should read your own post, all you really mention is Net 10 and ST just like the OP's original post!

Tracfone is a basic simple service with simple basic phones and it will become marginalized. The only thing TF has in common with either is the fact they are simply relatives and that is it. I went on both sites today and there is very little similarity to the plans in any real fashion. Talk about confusing and extremely limited between phones and plans. I have to say, going over the Net10 and ST plans I can't see for the life of me why any one would even use them? The android phone offerings, which TF does not even offer, are expensive and subpar at best. I will say, the last thing I want to have to dig through is a bunch of byop nightmare posts.

What this discussion should be about is not merging, but actually separating Net 10 from Tracfone! In both arguments all I hear is ST and Net 10 and Net 10 and ST so give them their own forum and merge Net10 and ST and be done with it!

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    Maybe you should read your own post, all you really mention is Net 10 and ST just like the OP's original post!

Tracfone is a basic simple service with simple basic phones and it will become marginalized. The only thing TF has in common with either is the fact they are simply relatives and that is it. I went on both sites today and there is very little similarity to the plans in any real fashion. Talk about confusing and extremely limited between phones and plans. I have to say, going over the Net10 and ST plans I can't see for the life of me why any one would even use them? The android phone offerings, which TF does not even offer, are expensive and subpar at best. I will say, the last thing I want to have to dig through is a bunch of byop nightmare posts.

What this discussion should be about is not merging, but actually separating Net 10 from Tracfone! In both arguments all I hear is ST and Net 10 and Net 10 and ST so give them their own forum and merge Net10 and ST and be done with it!

I said to merge the common elements. If there are elements of Tracfone that are unique, then that would be a separate folder. Here's more explanation:

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavorOR View Post
    Although I think that a merger makes a lot of sense, there were more than enough reasoned objections to justify not merging them at this time.

For those of you who objected and who haven't looked at the Tracfone/Net10 Forums, please take a look and see if that changes your view. If you change your mind, please feel free to post a follow-up.

I realize that some of you suggested merging Net10 (without TF) with Straight Talk. That might be a good idea, but I'd want to create a new thread and ask for comments on it before taking any action
    EndeavorOR, how about one step at a time?

FIRST, yes keep both forums separate, BUT reorganize them so all the BYOD SIM card stuff (APNs, phones eligible, where to buy, all that) in one folder. All the ST-branded stuff in another folder. All the minutes questions, home phone service, etc in another folder. Maybe even a 4th folder for Miscellaneous.

And then do the same for Net10.

People complain they can't find what they need, and it's because ALL the threads are just lumped together.

If you had 3 or 4 major categories, organization would let people find what they needed. Yes, they could still go visit the other folders.

Then after a few months of this, it would become more clear if merging the Straight Talk and Net10 forums makes sense. If not, still this reorganization within Straight Talk and Net10 would make the forums more accessible.

Here's an example. Take a look and I'll explain:

Over in the MetroPCS Hofo forum, the astute mod L0GiC4L 3ViL saw so many questions were about Metro's branded Androids -- what phones were coming, how much, when, specs, problems, etc. He created an "Android Lounge" sub-forum specifically for those discussions and it helped tremendously.

Sure, some people post Android questions in the "general" threads, but he moves them to the "Android" sub-forum. It works VERY well. A little radical at the time, but it solved the exact same problem the Straight Talk and Net10 forums are having with clutter.

We could do the same thing but have 3 or 4 subfolders and EVERYTHING could go in there. If it doesn't fit

• BYOD SIM PLAN DISCUSSION,
    • BRANDED PHONES DISCUSSION,
    • (some 3rd folder you think is popular-- maybe a Tracfone folder), then it would go into
    • GENERAL-MISCELLANEOUS

Every new post, every thread would go into one of those sub-forums.

Take this step first and then in a few months re-visit the idea of merging Straight Talk and Net10. Baby steps first.
    Your creed may be interesting, but your deeds are much more convincing.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

[MOD EDIT: leave out the insults!!]? Tracfone is a super expensive low use dumb phone service. Net10 and Straight Talk are cheap alternatives for people who actually use their phones. Far from expensive there really is nothing cheaper out there in the US except T-Mobile's $30/unlimited text/5gb/100 min
    Last edited by Endeavor; 03-14-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    As I've told you in the Straight Talk Forum, that's not the proposal that I've asked for comments on. If you want to propose it, start a thread, and we can take comments on it. I have some thoughts of my own, but I don't want to include them here.

For now, I've noted that you are against the proposal that I made, which was to merge the forums together

Quote Originally Posted by ChazzMatt View Post
    Merge the forums to REORGANIZE them in a better way. I explained it thoroughly. Try reading it again.

EndeavorOR's idea shows forward thinking, but just to merge them into one pot wouldn't work. Merge the common interest groups together of Net10 & Straight Talk. Have Tracfone/Net10/Straight Talk -- then inside have 3 or 4 subforums for the various classifications.

For instance over at the HoFo MetroPCS forum, they have a sub-forum for "Androids". People who just want to talk about plans or crappy feature phones get the "general" forum, people who want to talk about the MetroPCS Androids have a specific subforum. IT WORKS.

Do that, but multiplied by however many most-talked about topics between Net10 and Straight Talk.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I no longer see messages from these users (and won't respond to them):
    pfoneguy, rcentros.

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yes, I'm aware of what happened in the past. However, a lot has changed since then, which is why I'm asking for what everyone thinks today.

EndeavorOR, you never answered my question. Which is

are you aware that they all used to be one forum but there were so many problems that the only way to straighten it out was to split Straight Talk off as its own forum

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You've pointed out the only real difference between TF and Net10/ST: Plans. The plans are different, but just about everything else is the same.

So, for example, a guy with a Triple Minute Tracfone will ask the same questions as a ST unlimited member about (1) coverage, (2) customer service, (3) service outages, (4) SIM swapping, (5) replacement phones, (6) warranty coverage, (7) phone manuals, (8) alternatives, etc.

You do point out a valid point, however, that we might separate out Net10 from TF, or even combining Net10 with ST (which actually makes a lot of sense to me).

If you want to propose that, create a new thread and let's ask for comments!

Feedback Score
    No. Do not merge Tracfone, Net10, and Straight Talk.

The merger of Tracfone, Net10, and Straight Talk provides inefficient access to information for all users. Although there will be some issues that would be the same, their concerns regarding their overall product and service offerings would be too different.

It would be better to split Net10 into its own forum or maintain its merger with Tracfone. A separate Net10 forum provides a learning opportunity about the product and services under Net10 without having to search all over Howardforums for it. Net10 has become in a year or so a feature phone/smart phone system and the stand alone forum should reflect that status.

Many people come to Net10 because they can switch easily from one type of product and service offering to another without having to "port out" or "port in" between companies. Except concerning smartphones I personally find Net10 has less complaints than the high user rate utilized Tracfone. Net10 has been a good compliment to Tracfone and vice versa especially as both systems have grown together.

Also Splitting Net10 into parts---BYOD sim vs feature forums will not create parts greater than its whole. It will add more confusion and inconvenience.

I believe it is worthy to note there has been an outgrowth of intolerance for people who chosen a different service under Net10. I also observed some people have experienced difficulty adapting to how different forums operate; and restricting or limiting discussions to the forum they have decided to post to. These positions have influenced some or has provided an underlying reasoning of their opinions. Many of these people are new. My recommendation would be to the forum operators to wait a year before a split or merger of a forum is entertained. Give time for cooler heads to emerge.
    Last edited by Fireflyqn; 03-17-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: make neater
    Real Life Dictionary: Cell Phone. A fancy term for mobile answering machine.

Phones
    w370
    LG 200C
    Kyocera 126C
    Carriers
    Net10
    Feedback Score
    Similarities will exist between many companies, not just these sister companies. Since each has it's own separate web site, it's own branded handsets that cannot be used with the other company (some exceptions) and especially since Tracfone is so much different than the others; I think they should each have their own forum.

Net10 has pretty much separated itself from Tracfone with monthly plans, byod etc. And now they have officially announced a data cap which ST has not.

You wouldn't group all companies that have a BYOD plan, so why group Net10 and ST just because they share the same street address/phone number.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.George Carlin

Phones
    w370
    w376
    w170
    Carriers
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Seperate forums,PLEEZE!Makes no sense to me to have to weed thru comments about net10/straight talk when I am never going to use those systems. If I ever did have need of one of them, I'd go to THAT respective forum.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    No one has mentioned the search function, which most think should be used by everyone. Searching "should" take you right where you need to go the quickest.

Feedback Score
    I saw Straight Talk was split from Net10 and Tracfone in 2010. I was not able to locate what the specific problems were. I did see the poll. Could you elaborate on your post, in regard to some of those problems were that contributed to the split? It may be helpful for the discussion.

EndeavorOR, are you aware that they all used to be one forum but there were so many problems that the only way to straighten it out was to split Straight Talk off as its own forum.

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Given the number of objections, I'm not going to go forward with this. If any of you who oppose the request change your minds, please post back here.

I'm considering suggesting that Net10 be removed from Tracfone and merged with ST, but I want to wait and see how things flush out with the AT&T SIM card issues. Some of our ST members appears to be switching over the Net10 in order to get AT&T service with a defined limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflyqn View Post
    I saw Straight Talk was split from Net10 and Tracfone in 2010. I was not able to locate what the specific problems were. I did see the poll. Could you elaborate on your post, in regard to some of those problems were that contributed to the split? It may be helpful for the discussion.

Carrier
    T-Mobile ToGo, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kerstuff View Post
    I think separate is best. I know I really get put off when @ the TracFone forum and see all of the Obamaphone questions in regards to Safelink!
    Safelink started in 2008 when George W. Bush was still in office. Prior to Obama.

I think Net10 could be merged with ST since you can use your own phone and sims are restricted to a particular phone like with Tracfone. Just because they share a lot of things doesn't mean the details of the service each one provides compares with one another.

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I'm well aware of when the program started but it ballooned with this admin. I didn't name it that but that is what the public knows.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast