Thread: TFW 3G and TFW o

Feedback Score

TFW 3G and TFW o

Most of the time my iphone 5 shows 3G but sometimes it will show a small circle like lower case "o" . Also notice that data appears to drop when this happens. What does this mean?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It means you're on Verizon's 1X (2G) network. Data is almost unusable at that speed.
    LG Nexus 4 - T-Mobile (postpaid)
    Nokia Lumia 521 - T-Mobile (prepaid)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - Sprint (via Ting)
    ZTE Valet - Verizon (via Tracfone)
    Apple iPad 2 - WiFi only

Feedback Score

TFW 3G and TFW o

Quote Originally Posted by SBdunks View Post
    It means you're on Verizon's 1X (2G) network. Data is almost unusable at that speed.
    Thanks. Is there any setting on my iphone to prevent that from occurring?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baldheadjim View Post
    Thanks. Is there any setting on my iphone to prevent that from occurring?
    Not really. You're probably in a fringe area and its struggling to hold on to a solid 3G signal. You can't disable 1X because that's what Verizon still uses to send their calls and texts. Maybe try the ST AT&T sim card in your iPhone 5 to see if they offer a more solid signal in your home.

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not sure where you live, but here in California, Verizon uses the 1900MHz band for 3G/EvDO and 850MHz for 2G CDMA. That allows calls and texts to be very reliable since 850MHz is stronger, but it means if you're in a rural area far from a tower, the 1900MHz 3G signal dies first and you're left with the little circle (2G).
    Past providers: Page Plus, AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin, Straight Talk
    Past phones: Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Hi, I've got an unlocked Verizon non branded iPhone 5 because of something concerning the DMCA law. I don't know why they had to deliver them unlocked because of it and wasn't that interested. It was on Verizon but I switched it to AT&T. I used the byop plan. I tested it with an AT&T sim before going ahead. The i5 covers all the frequencies that Verizon and AT&T use, not all but you know what I mean. AT&T is not great in our area. Verizon has towers everywhere but was too expensive. Yesterday, I saw a the same message on the screen that read update available. I have my phone set to download but not install updates until I approve. It did it on it's own I think. Today I saw the 3G as some others have on their phones. It used to say 4G and sometimes rarely E or LTE. I have LTE switched on in settings. So, I guess Net10 got downgraded by AT&T, am I correct or far out? I did a horrible job cutting down the sim to nano size but so far it's held. I ordered some Net 10 nano sims which look like someone who knew what they were doing cut them, perfect to my eye. Net 10 said I could call when I got a new sim and it would be no problem to switch my cut to the pro cut. I have been really dragging my feet on it because the other carrier is T-Mobile with a practically non existent signal and I am afraid they would switch me because the i5 has their frequencies too. The data even at LTE speeds is slow, slow, slow. 4G was like dial up, remarkably 3G seems a bit faster. I went to the Net 10 site and they wanted to update my browser, did I read that right? I backed out really fast and didn't look carefully. I would like to get back on Verizon. I have nano sims for just about every half price service. Any suggestions? Sorry for all the questions and I write horrible emails as well so forgive my dyslexic (mild) explanations. Thank you.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    It had nothing to do with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. A stipulation Verizon had to follow after winning the auction for the Upper C part of the 700 MHz spectrum was that Verizon telephones using that band had to be unlocked. Since the same slot is used for both GSM/UMTS and LTE, Verizon unlocked the telephone for all SIM cards. The Verizon iPhone 5 does not have the LTE bands used by either AT&T or T-Mobile. Depending upon your location, you might not get 3G speed at all with T-Mobile. The Verizon iPhone 5 does not have UMTS Band IV used by T-Mobile at many locations.

The SIM card you have determines which network you will use. The carrier will not activate an AT&T SIM card on the T-Mobile network or vice versa.
    Earl F. Parrish

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk offers an International Dialing App which is available at the Apple App Store for iPhones and at Google Play for Android telephones. This takes care of the access code so that you only have to dial the country code (1) and the ten-digit number for call to Canada and most other countries in North America and the Caribbean area. Major exceptions are Mexico and Central American countries.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfcack View Post
    I did a horrible job cutting down the sim to nano size but so far it's held. I ordered some Net 10 nano sims which look like someone who knew what they were doing cut them, perfect to my eye.
    Do yourself a favor and get a sim cutter, it will spare you alot of aggrevation. I got mine on ebay for $3 and it cuts standard to micro to nano.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty636 View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get a sim cutter, it will spare you alot of aggrevation. I got mine on ebay for $3 and it cuts standard to micro to nano.
    Seriously. Plus it takes 2 seconds to use and then you simply file out the rough edges. I don't even worry about this step anymore and I share it with friends and family!!