Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S4 Release Thread

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    http://phandroid.com/2013/04/24/veri...4-pre-order-2/

Sounds like another month while many other carriers get theirs in the next couple weeks. In any case, not much chatter about this one. I've only ever had HTC phones, and am excited to try a different brand. Despite the build quality difference vs the HTC One, I love the fact that it's a bit smaller than the SIII despite the larger screen. Sounds like a solid performer.

Device(s)
    HTC Rezound
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    arg...very disappointed that verizon is taking over a month to release after all the other carriers...in need of a new phone since my rezound is dying, all my soft key buttons arent responding.

Carrier(s)
    All of them.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skchan2 View Post
    arg...very disappointed that verizon is taking over a month to release after all the other carriers...in need of a new phone since my rezound is dying, all my soft key buttons arent responding.
    x2

Seems strange and a bad move on their part. All the other carriers have it... and on top of that, Verizon is more expensive (no contract), $50 more than AT&T.
    Home ISP, RR-Ultimate WiFi, $90/mo | Verizon 4G LTE, $30/mo Unlimited

School, $5,000/semester | Work

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    So I've noticed that Verizon's full retail price is $650, I want to keep my unlimited data so I'm probably buying full-retail. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for getting a discount? If it's anything like the past, I think I should be able to get the $50 verizon rebate, even if I don't re-up.. certainly had worked a few years back now with other phones that came with a rebate, even if the terms said otherwise.

For those of you that are planning to get it with a new contract or an extension/renewal, Wirefly has it for preorder at $179.99 -- http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05...-and-upgrades/ and one could stack a cashback portal referral on top of that. However, for my case, a lot of sites don't give you much if you're just buying the phone without a contract.

I thought about VZW gift cards bought from gift card marketplaces, but couldn't find any. If anyone has any ideas to drop the full-retail price further I'm all ears
    PM rules: search first, and ask in the threads for help before you resort to one.

Device(s)
    rezound
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    can you preorder if you not doing a renewal

Device(s)
    LG Env Touch
    Carrier(s)
    verizon, sprint along time ago
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skchan2 View Post
    Verizon in the past claimed that they delay the release of new phones to do more rigorous testing to insure the phones reliability and compatibility with their network at best this claim is a steam pile of feces. Verizion's real purpose in the past was modifying the software and disable media features they felt would compete with their v cast and other lamo media services. Unfortunately its a stunt that verizon has pulled on almost every phone since they add V-cast to there phones and I though those delays would end with demise V casts and vermizions other payed mulit media services. Sadly no. Worse yet these software/firmware changes installed to shield vermizion's media services usually broke more things and screwed up reliability. Which would many times be reversed when folks would bring in semi functioning phones back to verizon, which techs removed the "improvements" with new soft/firmware updates restoring the phone to manufacturers stock firm/software. I'm worried about what boned head soft/firmware improvements verizon and their software moneys are going to drop on the SIIII . I hope it isn't again the case, that all though verizion has the largest 4g network ATT and even Sprint customers will have a more reliable and un molested versions of the S IIII.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse_030 View Post
    can you preorder if you not doing a renewal
    I could do that, yes, but I wouldn't get any other discounts except perhaps the rebate if I buy it off-contract. I pondered buying gift cards at a discount for Radio Shack, but I think their full retail price is $700, or at least it is online, so that won't really do much at ~10%, plus I'd miss on the (possible) Verizon rebate... so buying direct might be the best option I can think of.

Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NJP11 View Post
    Any news on if the S4 will support LTE on AWS?
    yes I just found this today

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...r-lte-network/

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone heard if the antenna/radios in the new Galaxy S4 are better than the S3?? I had the Galaxy S3 from AT&T before I switched to big red and often in more rural areas I would lose my signal completely where my older HTC would have a few bars. I have the Droid DNA right now and am considering switching to the S4 due to 3/4G handoff issues with the DNA. And yes, today Verizon announced the S4 will support AWS (LTE Band 4) with a future update.

Feedback Score
    GS4 = "the next best thing" ...personally I have my reservations.

In two weeks time I'm (today) on my 4'th GS4 (seriously) the first had a very 'glitch' screen in that the lower right corner would go black. Take out the battery reinstall and it was ok, then that area would get a black vertical line, once again remove battery to fix. Then at times it wouldn't power-up, remove battery then it would.

The second and third GS4's (from the same store) had a very buggy unlock-key pad and dialing key pad in that, when dialing at times there was extreme response lag and other times when pressing number 'once' it would appear 2-3-4 times!
    Then, when going to dial the key pad would go black, reappear, go black, reappear like some type of light sensor was acting up.

Last night with #3 GS4 I spent over an hour with a Tier-3 Verizon tech...he had me go through a lot of steps and he then deemed it defective. The Verizon tech was awesome to work with, told me to go to a different 'corporate verizon store' and get another GS4.
    He was so concerned about the level of aggravation, time etc I've been going through he authorized a 14 day extension trial period...so, I have until 7/14 to see 'if' this GS4 acts-up and/or I want out of this phone period.

Funny thing, we talked and agreed sometimes QC on a "rushed to market items fall to the consumer".
    Also, the dialing key-pad problem may not even be noticed by many as...they always text or maybe use voice dialing.

BTW, the texting keypad is instantaneous and extremely responsive, my problems were only with the unlock keypad and dialing key pad.

I've been with Verizon since Bell Atlantic Mobile days (1998) I haven't been under contract for over a decade and my prior Moto flip phone NEVER gave me a hint of problem.
    Questioning if I now want to be handcuffed to a two year contract and this questionable GS4.
    I am actively researching 'straight talk' and one of the Walmart phones that use Verizon towers.

Device(s)
    LG Env Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I got the S4 it would be a 5 star phone for me but, the Samsung S voice is so god awful bad right now its cruising around the 1 to 2 star rating right now. What the Wt*&%$? was samsung thinking to cripple a great phone with their pile of steaming feces voice command system? Its really horrible. Is there some way to turn off S voice and use a replacement app that works as good as my old droid maxx voice command system? God how can some one screw that up its sad .

Device(s)
    LG Env Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    yep true to form new S4 update rolled out to my phone today. I estimate my phone about 50% faster. What every was causing the slowdowns with the Verizon S4 seems to be cured.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score
    Anybody know if the S4 developer edition handset is still available anywhere?

♪ Where have all the lens caps gone? ♪
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2