Thread: Iphone 5 and international roaming

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Post-Pay
    Feedback Score

Iphone 5 and international roaming

My wife will be traveling to Mexico for a couple weeks, I want to know if removing the sim will also prevent the phone from registering on the 3G network also. I want to make sure that no charges are incurred by accident while she's there. Whats the best way to make sure data and roaming is disabled for her trip?
    “The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

― George Orwell

Device(s)
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by money69 View Post
    My wife will be traveling to Mexico for a couple weeks, I want to know if removing the sim will also prevent the phone from registering on the 3G network also. I want to make sure that no charges are incurred by accident while she's there. Whats the best way to make sure data and roaming is disabled for her trip?
    Airplane mode? Leaving the phone off? I'm guessing though that maybe she'll want/need to use it on WiFi. Removing the SIM should definitely keep it from roaming on GSM/UMTS networks. Of course, the issue is that I'm guessing you're worried about is that Iusacell still has a CDMA/EVDO network in parts of Mexico to roam on even with the SIM removed. You should be able to turn off voice and data roaming on the handset, but even that apparently isn't 100% foolproof: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/110916
    You might want to talk to Sprint's international department before she departs to get their view on what you should do to make sure she doesn't accidentally run up a huge roaming bill. 1-888-226-7212
    Thrill me...

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

RE: Iphone 5 and international roaming

Just turn off the data and set roaming to voice roaming only. This is what I do while traveling in foreign countries.
    Sent from my Radar 4G via the HowardForums WP7 App

Carrier(s)
    AT&T/Sprint/VZW
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 18Wheels View Post
    Just turn off the data and set roaming to voice roaming only. This is what I do while traveling in foreign countries.
    Sent from my Radar 4G via the HowardForums WP7 App
    I agree. Turning data roaming off is sufficient but if you're that paranoid about it then I'd go ahead and put it in airplane mode.

Feedback Score
    Don't forget to have sprint unlock her phone before traveling. It usually requires backing up and restoring the iphone. You can pick up a prepaid nanosim when there. It will supercede CDMA overseas (turn international CDMA off)

Carrier(s)
    Tmobile Post-Pay
    Feedback Score
    called sprint and put in the unlock request today. Anyone successfully unlock their iPhone with Sprint? Do the Sprint iPhones get the "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked" message like other companies? Also, anyone know time frame? Sprint said an hour but I didn't think that sounded right......

Any input would be helpful...........

Feedback Score
    The unlock message doesn't always work. You just need to do backup and restore. Unfortunately there is no way to confirm it unless you are international.