Thread: Adding fonts on Sharp Androids?

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Adding fonts on Sharp Androids?

Has anyone successfully added new fonts on their Sharp Android phone?

I have tried this on the 005SH and the SH-12C, where there's no built-in font manager - failed.

I have the SH-01D and just got the SH-10D for my girlfriend, both of which have Sharp's built-in font manager, which is supposed to let you download new fonts but when I tap the "Search download font" button Google's Play store only ever returns the same message:

No results found for ""SHARP Download Font"".

Written exactly as above, with double quotes.
    Sharp mobile devices database & tips for Sharp smartphones: http://sharp.cheeseus.org
    Selling: Near mint Sharp SoftBank 005SH: SIM unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, leather case
    Selling: Sharp Aquos Phone 007SH – The Hybrid, SIM-unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, optimised.

Device(s)
    Xperia Acro HD
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Same issue with SH-02e....

Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am 99.99% sure that you can only install special paid-for fonts. This functionality is so that they (docomo/sharp/font makers) get more money. Very little is free in Japan's mobile-scape.

You buy the fonts through the SHSHOW application, i.e. in Japan, and are not purchased through Google Play. I think you would need to be in Japan (have a Japanese address, payment, etc).

Do you see this screen?

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by martindesu View Post
    I am 99.99% sure that you can only install special paid-for fonts. This functionality is so that they (docomo/sharp/font makers) get more money. Very little is free in Japan's mobile-scape.

You buy the fonts through the SHSHOW application, i.e. in Japan, and are not purchased through Google Play. I think you would need to be in Japan (have a Japanese address, payment, etc).
    Yeah, would be foolish to expect otherwise. The actual problem, however, is that the button at the bottom doesn't work. It would be OK if it discovered some paid fonts on Google Play and gave you options to buy them. After all, the button text on the new versions of the Font Manager isn't "Android Market ####", it says "Search download font" and connects directly to Google Play. They could have made it connect to GalapagosStore or to 3SH.JP, or even, as in other Japan-only apps, when Google Ppay opens the app, it shows the message that "the item isn't available in your country".

Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ah, yes, I see. There's also the issue that these Japan-made applications are utterly woeful. Just look at the sp-mode mail reviews. Hilariously bad.

Device(s)
    too many to place them here
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile(main)
    Feedback Score
    "the item isn't available on your country"

IP Restriction most likely? have you try using a proxy to fool it to confirm you are in Japan??
    We lose as much as we gain through life, and that includes who we used to be.

I WANT TO BUY A FUJITSU ESPRIMO DH550!!

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeuroticallyYou View Post
    "the item isn't available on your country"

IP Restriction most likely? have you try using a proxy to fool it to confirm you are in Japan??
    Read my post again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile(main)
    Feedback Score
    well i did but i guess it wouldn't hurt to try, i could probably think that like you said it requires you to be in Japan, i didn't now sharp androids had a font manager, a play store alternative is flipfont but i have never actually found the actual installer just the fonts and you can buy some of them one thing is i wouldn't now how integrated it's supposed to be with the OS or launcher itself, i never tried :/

you got me curious , i always seen the SH-SHOW in the japanese market yet never bother to download it

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeuroticallyYou View Post
    well i did but i guess it wouldn't hurt to try, i could probably think that like you said it requires you to be in Japan, i didn't now sharp androids had a font manager, a play store alternative is flipfont but i have never actually found the actual installer just the fonts and you can buy some of them one thing is i wouldn't now how integrated it's supposed to be with the OS or launcher itself, i never tried :/

you got me curious , i always seen the SH-SHOW in the japanese market yet never bother to download it
    By "read my post again" I meant you didn't understand it. What I said is that the Font Manager doesn't tell you "the item is not available in your country" --- if it did say that, I could consider ways to cheat this. The problem is that is says "no fonts exist". And there's nothing we can do in this case.

SH-Show is cool. But I don't think you can install it on a non-Sharp phone. Not sure if editing the build.prop file will do the trick.
    There's lots of stuff on SH-Show. I've downloaded many 3D wallpapers, some games (pretty silly ones), and some 3D videos. Fonts are also available but they are paid and I don't have a Japanese card or bank account. Some of those contents, although free, require a registration. Luckily, a friend helped me create one - I wouldn't have managed it, not knowing any Japanese.

On a side note, please try to write "know" when you mean "I have the information" and "now" when you mean "at the moment". This will make it easier for us to understand you

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile(main)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseus View Post
    By "read my post again" I meant you didn't understand it. What I said is that the Font Manager doesn't tell you "the item is not available in your country" --- if it did say that, I could consider ways to cheat this. The problem is that is says "no fonts exist". And there's nothing we can do in this case.

SH-Show is cool. But I don't think you can install it on a non-Sharp phone. Not sure if editing the build.prop file will do the trick.
    There's lots of stuff on SH-Show. I've downloaded many 3D wallpapers, some games (pretty silly ones), and some 3D videos. Fonts are also available but they are paid and I don't have a Japanese card or bank account. Some of those contents, although free, require a registration. Luckily, a friend helped me create one - I wouldn't have managed it, not knowing any Japanese.

On a side note, please try to write "know" when you mean "I have the information" and "now" when you mean "at the moment". This will make it easier for us to understand you
    no worries man , my laptop is an old dell latitule 120L and keyboard is messed up some keys i have to hit them hard in order for them to appear, time to upgrade i guess haha. i can understand the frustration i always wanted that super highway chase 3d game from the galapagos store but i can't download it most likely because yeah is Sharp content and second i haven't have the chance to play around with any android keitai let alone anything system related like checking build.props etc etc(a future SH-01D will help me getting my questions answered)

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Just downloaded and installed Super Highway Chase, not really impressive. If I can find out where the APK is and can extract it from the phone, I'll send it to you. But I don't think you'll be able to install it on a non-Sharp device.

Carrier(s)
    DOCOMO
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseus View Post
    Luckily, a friend helped me create one - I wouldn't have managed it, not knowing any Japanese.
    Are my ears burning?

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am reviving this thread because I now have root access on my SH-01D, and can see that inside /system/fonts there are 28, yes, twenty-eight different fonts. However, when I go to Settings > Wallpaper & display > Text font, the Sharp Font Manager app opens and only shows four fonts.

Now, the big question is, where is the darn Font Manager located, and where are these four fonts? And if I find the location, would I be able to just copy some (or all) of these 28 fonts to that folder, and make them all available to use?

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OK, if you want to know a really easy way to add a font of your choice to your Sharp smartphone, visit my website and read the instructions

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have discovered another way to cheat the Font Manager and add a custom font. Well, in fact, its replacing, not adding.

Root access (mount /system as RW) is required. If interested, check out the instructions here. It's very easy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast