Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Straight Talk and Throttling

Carriers
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Exclamation OFFICIAL: Straight Talk and Throttling

MODERATOR INTRODUCTION - by ENDEAVOR:

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you were redirected here from another post, it is because I have merged your posts with this thread.

It seems like we always have two or more threads about Straight Talk and throttling. I'm creating this thread and making it a sticky it so that we can have one place where everyone can post their throttling stories.

Although you don't have to, you might want to tell us:

1. Network: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint.
    2. SIM or phone? If phone, which phone?
    3. How much data did you use?
    4. How many days had you used on your plan?
    5. How many days did you have left on your plan?
    6. What were your data speeds before and after?
    7. Where do you typically use your phone (i.e., Los Angeles, Manhattan, San Antonio, Carson City, etc.)?
    8. What did ST tell you when you contacted them?
    7. Anything else you'd like to add.

Note that many of the original messages on this thread were posted before I added this introduction.

Original Post:
    -----------------------

After I and many other members had issues with Straight Talk throttling, I thought it was time to create a thread dedicated to providing tips to avoid being throttled by Straight Talk. This would be very beneficial to new members just looking for info on Straight Talk (as I was at one time, just lurking), as well as current users and members. This isn't about getting around the system, it's about working with the system to avoid penalties.

I'll start. Not sure if this is still true, but I've heard 100MB/day, 2GB a month is the safe limit. I've heard users being throttled with as little as 900MB, but not sure if they are in a rural area, lending credence to the theory that Straight Talk is more harsh with rural users, or used a lot in one day. It's also possible that Straight Talk is inconsistent in choosing how much data to throttle at. Also, avoiding streaming, tethering, and downloading might not be enough as you can use a lot of data by just doing a lot of surfing.

Any more hints are welcome!
    Last edited by Endeavor; 09-19-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Feedback Score

How to avoid a throttle by Straight Talk

My method is simple...I believe ST goes fishing with throttling to see if people even notice ..if you get throttled under 2GB that is...regardless, use what you want around 2-3GB and if you get throttled, a simple "innocent" and admitting sounding phone call to ST (and a whole lot of patience) will get you unthrottled in a jiffy. So, in other words, their limits can absolutely kiss iiitttttt.

Phone
    Galaxy S Blaze
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Exclamation OFFICIAL: THROTTLED by Straight Talk Thread

I am getting .28 .
    Using a Skyrocket.

This is very serious, as we move into the age of faster smart phones i wont want to continue .. when has it ever been stated 1.5 wasent the cap?

what about a t mobile sim?
    Last edited by Endeavor; 09-19-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    There is no fixed throttle point for Straight Talk users. Users are throttled at various levels depending upon the impact upon the network. if the network is congested, speeds may be reduced at a lower level of data usage. if there is no congestion, there may be no throttling of users at all.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414768,00.asp
    This used to be in a Sticky thread.
    Last edited by efparri; 03-14-2013 at 11:11 AM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    "The tallest blade of grass gets cut first" applies here.
    Nexus 5 rooted with ST AT&T LTE SIM & full Google Voice integration

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Efparri they claim that but it makes little sense since as an MVNO they presumably pay the same per MB regardless of congestion. This is why I did Net10. I can budget 1.5 GB easier than dealing with uncertainty.

Phone
    Optimus G
    Carrier
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    That sounds about right from ST. If you can afford at all to move to a new provider, you should seriously consider it IMO. Even if it cost you more, it is better to do business with a company that operates with at least a shred of integrity. They have had at least two years now to establish a data policy but they continue to operate with a nonsensical policy that CS reps cannot even explain to customers. It is clearly that way by design at this point.

Carrier
    Sprint via RingPlus
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Perhaps you used too much data in one day. My sister (Nokia AT&T sim) was throttled just 1 week after renewing and I got it lifted via Facebook support. Took a few days, though.
    Past providers: Page Plus, AT&T, T-Mobile, Virgin, Straight Talk
    Past phones: Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The problem with the throttle is that it's not automatically lifted like it is enforced.

If you use too much data in a day you should be throttled for a few at most then the throttle should be lifted. Instead you have to call in and waste your time.

Since you don't know how much data you can use before being throttled you can't accurately be proactive about the situation.

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    As many have pointed out America Movil is very abitrary with their caps, throttles, and whatever other policy they feel like messing with that week.

I have been taking a hard look at other prepaid services - and many others should do the same. This post helps me because I use approximately 600mb a month, up to 750mb on a high month. I realized yesterday and other days though I come close to the 100mb - usually a slow day with work or life and I read forums and lots of pictures and such that add up. This maybe only happens a couple times a month so I'm not worried and I haven't been throttled yet - but it seems as if ST is cracking down.

Clearly they are changing some stuff but they continue to be SO super shady about it. I've said it before and I may be a broken record but America Movil's MVNO business is pretty much the biggest in the USA. ST, TF, Net10, Safelink, Simple Mobil are a huge base of users. We aren't dealing witih some podunk start-up with 75,000 connections and a dozen staff - this is a HUGE company.

I like the ATT service at a reasonable rate - even with what I understand won't be unlimited data - but a general idea would be nice. But - as they know, it's prepaid so I'm free to go and most likely will. I'm sure it won't matter to them, but maybe if enough of us are done with this the small uptick in churn may get them to realize vague policies and abitrary decisions won't cut it even in prepaid.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: Been throttled for 867 megs used this month

Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    There is no fixed throttle point for Straight Talk users. Users are throttled at various levels depending upon the impact upon the network. if the network is congested, speeds may be reduced at a lower level of data usage. if there is no congestion, there may be no throttling of users at all.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414768,00.asp
    This used to be in a Sticky thread.
    This true.Also I have had st customer service pm me saying that st doesn't guarantee data speeds.
    Probably none of the cell providers will guarantee data speeds.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using HowardForums

Phone
    Galaxy S Blaze
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    net 10 is all the same isn't it?

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: Been throttled for 867 megs used this month

Quote Originally Posted by tee742k View Post
    net 10 is all the same isn't it?
    IDK.From my understanding net10 shuts off your data at 1.5GB and st.won't.
    Now if net10 throttles irk.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using HowardForums

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Net10 doesn't throttle... they give you 1.5GB's of data to do with as you please (although they still ban tethering... why that is I don't know.. pretty stupid.)
    I buy broken/used iPhones (4 & 4S) on any carrier! PM me info about your phone and your asking price and I'll get back to you!

Phone
    Galaxy S Blaze
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    i am now waiting for another call back or support ticket f book reply-

i get call and they said its a violation but i did not use my 1.5 gigs for the month only 867 now 892 megs
    Last edited by tee742k; 03-14-2013 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 51 ... LastLast