Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Straight Talk and Throttling

Device(s)
    Optimus G
    Carrier(s)
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Don't know how much you talk but you can use the Skyrocket as a GoPhone with AT&T. For $50 monthly you can get 250 min, unlimited texts and 1GB of data.......no games or nonsense.

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Re: Been throttled for 867 megs used this month

Quote Originally Posted by tee742k View Post
    Don't understand refarm. live in Seattle so.
    So lets find a solution ...I was getting 6 Meg dload I guess at 4g. So 220$ skyrocket on att wont work so now buy a galaxy s2 on tmob for 6 Meg unthrottled 4 Gig cap
    Sell the Skyrocket, get the T-Mobile Galaxy S 2, and switch to a T-Mobile SIM if T-Mobile works well in your area.

The T-Mobile Galaxy S 2 is actually the better phone since it has all the frequencies required for AT&T and T-Mobile 3G!

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wonder if they're trying to push people onto T-Mobile. Maybe they feel if they are very strict, people will switch. A case of the grass seeming to be greener on the other side, but in this case it would be very difficult to switch back to AT&T.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    I wonder if they're trying to push people onto T-Mobile. Maybe they feel if they are very strict, people will switch. A case of the grass seeming to be greener on the other side, but in this case it would be very difficult to switch back to AT&T.
    ST only has the AT&T SIM because T-mobile 1700/2100 phones are few and far between. After T-mobile refarms a decent percentage of their network to 1900, I don't see ST offering the more expensive network.
    Nexus 5X on Google Fi

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    ST only has the AT&T SIM because T-mobile 1700/2100 phones are few and far between. After T-mobile refarms a decent percentage of their network to 1900, I don't see ST offering the more expensive network.
    I wonder if they'll even go as far to kick people off.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't understand refarm. live in Seattle so.
    So lets find a solution ...I was getting 6 Meg dload I guess at 4g. So 220$ skyrocket on att wont work so now buy a galaxy s2 on tmob for 6 Meg unthrottled 4 Gig cap
    Refarm is when they're using 1900MHz for 3G/4G. In the past they only used 1700MHz, but they're taking some of their GSM 1900MHz and using it for 3G/4G, allowing iPhones and AT&T phones to get 3G. They're working on it, so it's spotty.
    Quote Originally Posted by secretasianman3 View Post
    Sell the Skyrocket, get the T-Mobile Galaxy S 2, and switch to a T-Mobile SIM if T-Mobile works well in your area.

The T-Mobile Galaxy S 2 is actually the better phone since it has all the frequencies required for AT&T and T-Mobile 3G!
    Switching to a T-Mobile phone should give good 3G/4G coverage in Seattle... I mean it is where T-Mobile headquarters is at, lol.

You might even consider the LG Optimus L9 - it has similar specs and it's only $199 new.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    This may sound like a stupid question but are you sure you're being throttled. The only reason I mention this is it could be something else. For example, right now, I get about 3Mbps down/1.5Mbps up at home. For the past several weeks though I've only been getting .1-.3Mbps down /.6-.7Mbps up at work. The results were much better before we went on Winter Break (I teach college). Both are listed as HSPA+ on my phone. Right now, I'm under the assumption that there is a tower problem, I also have quick WIFI at work so it's not a big issue. If the problem still existed after getting back from spring break, I was going to post here for suggestions. But, if I was only looking at the work numbers I might assum I'm being throttled even though I've under under 200Mb this month.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S Blaze
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Refarm is when they're using 1900MHz for 3G/4G. In the past they only used 1700MHz, but they're taking some of their GSM 1900MHz and using it for 3G/4G, allowing iPhones and AT&T phones to get 3G. They're working on it, so it's spotty.
    Switching to a T-Mobile phone should give good 3G/4G coverage in Seattle... I mean it is where T-Mobile headquarters is at, lol.

You might even consider the LG Optimus L9 - it has similar specs and it's only $199 new.
    yeah T mobile is HQ near i 90 in bellevue and people get dropped calls a block away from their buildings.
    my 4g icon on skyrocket was on and i was getting 6.5 download speed until yest.

i should buy a tmo sim, put it in the skyrockt to be sure ,

Device(s)
    Galaxy S Blaze
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdes View Post
    This may sound like a stupid question but are you sure you're being throttled. The only reason I mention this is it could be something else. For example, right now, I get about 3Mbps down/1.5Mbps up at home. For the past several weeks though I've only been getting .1-.3Mbps down /.6-.7Mbps up at work. The results were much better before we went on Winter Break (I teach college). Both are listed as HSPA+ on my phone. Right now, I'm under the assumption that there is a tower problem, I also have quick WIFI at work so it's not a big issue. If the problem still existed after getting back from spring break, I was going to post here for suggestions. But, if I was only looking at the work numbers I might assum I'm being throttled even though I've under under 200Mb this month.
    I did have it remotely unlocked yesterday for 8 dollars, and that may have been the tipping point, but for months on this board and on the phone they said the cap was 1.5,im dissapointed now, after 220$ investing in a wrong band skyrocket. i was getting 6 meg dwnload 2 days ago.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S Blaze
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post

So getting a s 2 and or a lg 9 and no throttling and 6 meg dwnload speeds? Specify which band were talking about so i can attain 4g with no throttle and there are no more surprises

Device(s)
    Galaxy S Blaze
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The whole plan was to budget for 1.5 gig on att then switch to tmob for 4 gig and now neither works on skyrocket due to the bands on skyrocket

Device(s)
    Galaxy S Blaze
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by secretasianman3 View Post

i was getting the 4g icon on there and downloads of 6 .5 megs for a sweet small amount of time

Carrier(s)
    Sprint $50 iPhone Plan
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did have it remotely unlocked yesterday for 8 dollars, and that may have been the tipping point, but for months on this board and on the phone they said the cap was 1.5,im dissapointed now, after 220$ investing in a wrong band skyrocket. i was getting 6 meg dwnload 2 days ago.
    I know you might be tight on money, but what if you sell the Skyrocket, get maybe $180 back and put that towards a Nexus 4 or even a Galaxy Nexus?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S Blaze
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    There are a couple radios you can flash to get HSPA+ on the skyrocket

according to the development thread for android

Device(s)
    Galaxy S Blaze
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I know you might be tight on money, but what if you sell the Skyrocket, get maybe $180 back and put that towards a Nexus 4 or even a Galaxy Nexus?
    possible but being in seattle i think t mobile is 1900 mhgz here now and it seems you can flash radios to get hspda on a t mob sim on skyrocket

seems the next move is to just get the tmo sim and proceed to see if it works on skyrocket very well

Page 3 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast