Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 55 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Straight Talk and Throttling

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Re: Wow, throttle at 891 MB this month!

Guess the AT&T data amount to get throttled took a nosedive. Don't think they're sophisticated enough to easily spot an Android tether.

Carrier(s)
    GoPhone (x2)
    Feedback Score
    Maybe this will help explain it further...

Port your number into Google Voice FAQ

Feedback Score

Been throttled for 867 megs used this month

From what I understand though, once you port out from ST, your sim is dead even in the short term reactivation right?

Device(s)
    Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    They got me at 1GB my last month and 1.5GB the month before. I decided it was time to jump ship. I got real AT&T with an 18% discount through my employer. I've been VERY happy ever since.

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    So, it would appears that ST isn't going to cap you at 1.5gb, they're going to throttle you so that you can't get above that amount...
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.

Carrier(s)
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    Correct. If you have a BYOP SIM, you're done. On the other hand, if you have a Nokia E71, E5, or any of the ST AT&T Android phones, you just call to reactivate, and they send you a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn744 View Post
    From what I understand though, once you port out from ST, your sim is dead even in the short term reactivation right?

Feedback Score

Been throttled for 867 megs used this month

Quote Originally Posted by tee742k View Post
    my understanding last month a rep told me they would reduce the att cap from 2 gigs to 1.5

would a t mobile sim give me 4 gigs of data ?
    Dude that rep was full of crap because I've been throttled at 900mb before as well and most recently a few months ago. For the past year I've posted my dealings with ST on this forum so just read some of my posts and threads. They have a system in place NOW that as a previous poster pointed out cuts the tallest blades of grass first. I came to this conclusion long ago and got laughed at on here for saying it.

It seemed to me back then and it's even more clear now that they're throttling a certain % of users with their automated system -- much like AT&T...maybe it's even identical to at&t? So this means that the point at which you will be throttled will vary greatly in regards toyour location and tower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score

Wow, throttle at 891 MB this month!

Well it seems the 1.5gb is irrelevant at this point since many users including myself have been throttled at around 900mb.

Alas, I've been looking at h20's 2gb plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    Optimus G
    Carrier(s)
    Not Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

I also bailed mostly over being tired of waiting for st to get their act together. What should have been fixed by now has only gotten worse, and the only conclusion is that st is doing it on purpose at this point to mislead and confuse customers.

Sent from my LG-E970 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    So basically... use VERY little if you're using AT&T compatible SIMs or switch to a T-Mobile compatible SIM. Seems nobody has really complained about throttling on T-Mobile's network. It's a shame their network isn't as built out as AT&T.

Feedback Score

Don't the TOS specifically state no tethering?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fiftyincher View Post
    Don't the TOS specifically state no tethering?
    The terms do state this - but ST is also shady with data. They say unlimited, yet now they throttle at lord knows what amounts. This isn't clearly spelled out anywhere - so they dont' follow their own TOS.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know my sister got throttled early this month - two weeks into her service plan. She uses wifi and doesn't watch videos or tether. Lots of image browsing, though. In the past almost two years she's never been throttled, so they might be getting stricter. If they're going to get so strict they may as well offer the same 1.5GB cap as Net10.

Anyone still able to use over 2GB on the AT&T sim without getting throttled?
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Device(s)
    Nokia E71
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Yea it is what it is.st is not a one size fits all.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using HowardForums

Device(s)
    i95cl
    Feedback Score
    Isn't there a way to avoid being throttled on AT&T? I would guess it might work to prevent being detected on ST as well. Something about changing the APN and freezing Tethering Manager (root). I will have to search for that but vaguely remember reading it somewhere.

Edit: It was on XDA
    The way AT&T has their system setup is based off your device if it's LTE they throttle your LTE connection, if it's HSPDA+ or 3G they throttle it. Now the APN gets you off LTE and on to HSPDA+ and through a different gateway so they no longer see / sniff your packets "never connect through wap.Cingular and tether" that will get you caught!

Tethering Manager reports you tethering to AT&T's system making sure it's okay to tether so by freezing that or uninstalling that you are able to stop that.

Yes you will be connected to HSPDA+ so you still get up to 14.4Mbps down in some area's.

So yes this helps from getting throttled and keeps AT&T from knowing what you are doing.

Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 55 ... LastLast