Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BLU brand Android phones on T-Mobile?

Feedback Score

BLU brand Android phones on T-Mobile?

Anyone try any of the BLU branded phones on T-Mobile? Are these phones any good, or are they cheap junk? How well do they work (reception-wise)? How's the build quality? What's good about them? What is cheesy or inferior about them? Can they really be a good alternative to high end Samsung and Google brand phones?

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmotk View Post
    Anyone try any of the BLU branded phones on T-Mobile? Are these phones any good, or are they cheap junk? How well do they work (reception-wise)? How's the build quality? What's good about them? What is cheesy or inferior about them? Can they really be a good alternative to high end Samsung and Google brand phones?
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e-ONLY/page498

post 7469

Quote Originally Posted by ygb View Post
    Well, I received the Blu Quattro 4.5 and have been using it today. I am coming from Dash->Dash3g->HD2 (flashed all diff ways)->Radar, so I can't really compare it to other/premium tzones devices. You can see Blu is trying real hard to present a professional package like the pros but they are just not quite there. The back of the phone (along with the Sim card "tray") is the flimsiest piece. Its a one piece matte black for the entire back similar to the Dash 3g's with a similar feel. Still, the phone works, is fast and smooth, has a fine screen(viewing angles nothing to write home about), and works with tmobile. Dont know how to tell if its running on aws or refarmed 1900. Maybe someone can clue me in. I didnt have to put in the Tmobile apn, it recognized it automatically as Tmobile or Simple Mobile.
    The Quattro runs Go launcher with a Blu theme but you can revert back to ICS theme if you want. I removed the BLU clock wallpaper you see in the ads as soon as I could. This is a pretty nondescript phone with some quirks. Some strange english translations in the menus. It seems to have some more options over stock ICS but not sure as I usually ran GB on the HD2. It does have a t9 dialer which I am happy about. GPS took a long time to lock in. Also a big initial pain for me was that while typing in English on the stock android keyboard (not a swype guy)the auto correct/predictive text feature didn't work. Was making the phone almost unusable. Finally tried the swype keyboard and it works fine as a reg keyboard too with auto correction.
    Connection speed here seems similar to what I get with the Radar(though the radar seems to get better reception). By my work, near a Tmobile Tower, it got ping 39, dl 7.016mbps, ul 3.695 mbps. At home things are usually worse, tethering on laptop got dl 2.56mbps ul 1.47.
    I know this isnt much of a review so If any one has any specific q's I can answer them the best I can.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16)

Quote Originally Posted by Antenna
    Quote Originally Posted by tmotk View Post
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...e-ONLY/page498

post 7469

Quote Originally Posted by ygb View Post
    Well, I received the Blu Quattro 4.5 and have been using it today. I am coming from Dash->Dash3g->HD2 (flashed all diff ways)->Radar, so I can't really compare it to other/premium tzones devices. You can see Blu is trying real hard to present a professional package like the pros but they are just not quite there. The back of the phone (along with the Sim card "tray") is the flimsiest piece. Its a one piece matte black for the entire back similar to the Dash 3g's with a similar feel. Still, the phone works, is fast and smooth, has a fine screen(viewing angles nothing to write home about), and works with tmobile. Dont know how to tell if its running on aws or refarmed 1900. Maybe someone can clue me in. I didnt have to put in the Tmobile apn, it recognized it automatically as Tmobile or Simple Mobile.
    The Quattro runs Go launcher with a Blu theme but you can revert back to ICS theme if you want. I removed the BLU clock wallpaper you see in the ads as soon as I could. This is a pretty nondescript phone with some quirks. Some strange english translations in the menus. It seems to have some more options over stock ICS but not sure as I usually ran GB on the HD2. It does have a t9 dialer which I am happy about. GPS took a long time to lock in. Also a big initial pain for me was that while typing in English on the stock android keyboard (not a swype guy)the auto correct/predictive text feature didn't work. Was making the phone almost unusable. Finally tried the swype keyboard and it works fine as a reg keyboard too with auto correction.
    Connection speed here seems similar to what I get with the Radar(though the radar seems to get better reception). By my work, near a Tmobile Tower, it got ping 39, dl 7.016mbps, ul 3.695 mbps. At home things are usually worse, tethering on laptop got dl 2.56mbps ul 1.47.
    I know this isnt much of a review so If any one has any specific q's I can answer them the best I can.
    Quattro has pentaband HSPA+ 21.
    Too bad Sony Xperia Ion has beaten it because it has AWS HSPA+ and LTE.

Optimum/Cablevision

Phone
    Android
    Carriers
    -T--Mobile USA|Get More
    Feedback Score

Re: BLU brand Android phones on T-Mobile?

Same for AT&T Motorola atrix HD, but no removable battery

Sent from my Nexus 4

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    Things to expect with off-brand Androids:

- The software may not be well-optimized for the hardware.
    - You may not find a particularly large online dev or support community for the device.
    - You may never get a software update.

Feedback Score
    Adding to the above-

No long term record of brand's performance and durability .

Lack of availbilty of accessories - cases, battery,screen protectors etc.

Presently, I would only buy one only if I needed dual sim capability and/or did not have time to look for a used well established brand phone from - LG, Motorola, Samsung, Sony, etc.

Phones
    Lumia 810
    Lumia 810
    LG L90
    Carriers
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just got a BLU DASH 4.0, from Amazon

The phone is great...but, as mentioned, the parts are a bit cheap.

Already, the SIM #2 tray is broken...so it's not a Dual Sim anymore...

I will get it repaired, but it's a bit dissapointing

But, for the price, you do get a nice unlock phone

Of course, don't expect ''Samsung quality'' for the price of a BLU phone

Remeber that you may NOT get 3G on T-Mobile with a BLU phone...but it will work just fine for voice or 2G data. WiFi works great.
    The CPUs are not pretty fast, so you'll see some lag in using some apps
    Phones I have/had :
    LG F3, L90, iPhone 5, 4S, 4, 3GS, Samsung S3, T499, T609, A920, A580, Nokia 635, 810, 521, N75, 6682, 6670, 6086, 6103, 6620, 3220, 3120, 3100, 6200, 6590i, 3590, 8390, 8290, 3390, 3360, 5125, 8260, 6185, 6190, ZTE Concord, HTC Magic, Touch, 8525, 8125, BB 7105t, CECT KA08, Zoho V90+, Motorola U9, K1, V590, V220, V300, C332, Siemens M46, SE J300a, T200, Kyocera 5135, 2035, Nortel 1211...
    Been with Fido, Bell, Clearnet, PC Mobile Prepaid, T-Mobile USA, Koodo and Rogers.

Phone
    Nokia Asha 311, Nokia Asha 302, Nokia C7-00, Nokia N95, Nokia 5300, Neo FreeRunner
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried the latest generation of BLU phones with T-Mobile USA? I'm looking at the Blu Life Play or the Blu Vivo 4.3. Both are under 200$ on Amazon -- competitive with the Moto G.

Feedback Score
    They don't support the AWS bands I have read

Sent with the HoFo App

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by believekevin View Post
    Has anyone tried the latest generation of BLU phones with T-Mobile USA? I'm looking at the Blu Life Play or the Blu Vivo 4.3. Both are under 200$ on Amazon -- competitive with the Moto G.
    Both of those only support HSPA+ on 1900 PCS. I wouldn't get a phone that doesn't support PCS and AWS if I was going to use T-mobile.

Phone
    LG G3, Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Simple Plan 4 lines (unlimited on one and 2.5GB sharing on another) $130 | 4.5GB MBB
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/534.30)

Quote Originally Posted by cmstlist
    Things to expect with off-brand Androids:

- The software may not be well-optimized for the hardware.
    - You may not find a particularly large online dev or support community for the device.
    - You may never get a software update.
    ...and there's another fact you have to consider: rooting.
    Some low level modifications and data backup/restore require root.

Phone
    Nokia Asha 311, Nokia Asha 302, Nokia C7-00, Nokia N95, Nokia 5300, Neo FreeRunner
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    My expectations might be a bit lower than your typical HoFo poster. I tend to stick with sub-200$ phones so I've never had a radio that supports AWS. I've played around with the Moto G on T-Mobile in Los Angeles and the HSPA+ connection was more than adequate.

I am more concerned about the lack of hacker interest, however. Until recently, I relied on custom firmware to keep an HTC Dream (T Mobile G2) up to date. I'm afraid that the BLU may not attract the same level of hacker investment as the Moto G.

Phones
    Blu Life Play
    Huawei IDEOS U8150
    Palm Treo 680
    Feedback Score
    Blu has got some dev support, especially here :

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communit...29749085694805

Anyways, I have been using a Life Play for about 6 months now. The phone is great and I get H+ or 3G with T-Mobile. The Life Play is notorious for a bad charging port, and I got that, unfortunately. But a spare battery + a universal battery charger solved that for me. Blu wanted me to send the phone to them for repair under warranty, but I can't be without a phone right now.

Also my Life Play is rooted with CWM 6.0.4.4 recovery. And there are quite a few roms, including MIUI available for it. Also Blu has said that the phone will get updated to 4.4 2nd Q 2014.
    Pakistan Zindabad!

Past Phones:

Nokia:
    5160 | 3310 | 7110 | 8210 | 5210 | 7250 | 7250i | 7600 | 3200 | 6230 | 6600
    Motorola: V50 | V3 RZR
    Sony Ericsson: T68i
    Samsung: A800 | T100 | D500 | D600 | X660
    HandSpring: Treo 600
    PalmOne: Treo 650 | Treo 680
    Huawei: IDEOS U8150
    BLU: Life Play <- Current

Feedback Score
    Running my Blue Studio 5.5, real pleased with the phone, unlocked for $179 and running on St Talk.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Tapatalk

Carrier
    Boost Mobile (CDMA)
    Feedback Score
    I had the blu life view and it was truely an amazing phoneto have on tmlbile, it don't have thr 1700mhz band though so it will only work in refarmes areas. I was gonna get the blu quattro 5.7 as it has all the necessary bands . I recommens them, I feel they are just as good as the us manufacturers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast