Thread: Data use is not correct

Feedback Score

Data use is not correct

Ok so some background on this issue. I had verizon for years and about 6 months before leaving I download an app called "my data manager" just to monitor my data usage with the app as compared to verizon. I use very little data because I have wifi and work and home. Each month my data usage would be between 80mb-100mb, this was verified by my bill from verizon and the information from my data manager app (they were always within 5mb of each other).

Two months ago I changed to page plus. My phone usage habits have remained the same but the the data usage from page plus is twice my normal data used and twice as much as my data manager app says I am using.

For example, Last month my data manager stated I used 83mb and page plus stated I used 224mb. This month I have two days left and my data manager states I have used 91mb and page plus says 237mb.... Why is there such a huge discrepancy? I know I have not doubled my data usage the past few months and the app has always been within 5mb of my actually data usage when using verizon.

Phones
    too many to list
    virgin mobile blackberry curve 8530
    Page Plus Droid X2 and Droid 3
    Carriers
    virgin mobile
    lycamobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Data use is not correct

Are you sure there are no apps running in the background

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Phone
    Motorola V3C
    Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    In my opinion that's the bad thing about data for consumers and a good thing for providers. You can't prove or disprove how much data you've used. Calling an texting are easy. A one minute call is a one minute call. One text is one text. Check you're e-mail once and how much data did you use? Good question.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

The only inherent discrepancy should be timing which shouldn't account for double. Your bill should be a day or two behind actual. Does PP provide line-by-line usage online like Verizon?

I agree what you say makes no sense.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thejushinator View Post
    6 months before leaving I download an app called "my data manager"
    within 5mb of each other

Why is there such a huge discrepancy? I know I have not doubled my data usage the past few months
    I don't think data billing policies are exactly stated anywhere by Page Plus, and I don't know if Verizon states data billing anywhere on their sites, so I'm just going to throw out a guess at how Verizon and Page Plus service might be different.

Were you using Verizon post paid service? One difference I can think of is that Page Plus coverage does not include some of the roaming partners that are included with Verizon post paid service, so even if you have not made any changes it's possible you are using different cellular towers with Page Plus. I believe Page Plus simply gets the data information from Verizon, and unless it's stated otherwise somewhere Verizon may bill for the amount of information transmitted, rather than the amount of information your phone correctly receives. I'm not sure how Verizon 3G data service technically works, but it likely has some means to retransmit data lost during transmssion. Assuming the application works correctly, I would still think it's possible Verizon may have to transmit more information than your phone correctly receives, yet without knowing the technical details of Verizon 3G data, I don't know if it's reasonable to figure they might have to transmit more than twice the data correctly received. If you were using Verizon prepaid service I can't come up with a plausible guess, but Verizon post paid service generally has better cellular coverage than Page Plus.

Feedback Score
    I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything, but I use page plus and get 250 mb of data monthly. I have an Iphone activated on the account and have been using it for over 4 months. I have never come close to using all my data in the past. However, this month, the data was all used up within 10 days of my plan starting. There was no change in use of the phone or data. When I called page plus, they said that Iphones are notorious for burning up data. I didn't want to push the issue as I'm still not sure about the legality of using an Iphone with page plus, but they clearly knew I was using it as they idenitfied it during the conversation. I am connected to wireless networks at work and at home, so there is no way I should have gone through that much data in 10 days, and I frankly don't use data intensive apps on my phone. I'm wondering if something is amiss with page plus... I'll be shutting off my data on the phone in the future unless I need to use it for something.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
    I don't think data billing policies are exactly stated anywhere by Page Plus, and I don't know if Verizon states data billing anywhere on their sites, so I'm just going to throw out a guess at how Verizon and Page Plus service might be different.

Were you using Verizon post paid service? One difference I can think of is that Page Plus coverage does not include some of the roaming partners that are included with Verizon post paid service, so even if you have not made any changes it's possible you are using different cellular towers with Page Plus. I believe Page Plus simply gets the data information from Verizon, and unless it's stated otherwise somewhere Verizon may bill for the amount of information transmitted, rather than the amount of information your phone correctly receives. I'm not sure how Verizon 3G data service technically works, but it likely has some means to retransmit data lost during transmssion. Assuming the application works correctly, I would still think it's possible Verizon may have to transmit more information than your phone correctly receives, yet without knowing the technical details of Verizon 3G data, I don't know if it's reasonable to figure they might have to transmit more than twice the data correctly received. If you were using Verizon prepaid service I can't come up with a plausible guess, but Verizon post paid service generally has better cellular coverage than Page Plus.
    Unless something has changed, cellular data isn't available at all when roaming with PPC, only voice, at the overage rate, and text, at the standard rate.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    There isn't much information here to really troubleshoot. I can't even tell exactly what phone operating system the poster is using, so maybe the guess by chrisnin of it being an iPhone problem is as good as any. I think people would agree PagePlus uses a different PRL than Verizon post paid service, which means the phone might connect to different towers. I can't seem to track down any information online to say if Page Plus or Verizon charge for lost data transmissions, but data loss is likely an inherent issue with many forms of wireless data transmission. Basically I was just saying, what if PagePlus/Verizon charge for lost data transmissions and the PagePlus PRL is connecting to different towers that result in more data loss?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manofstill2012 View Post
    Are you sure there are no apps running in the background

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using HowardForums
    Yes, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post
    There isn't much information here to really troubleshoot. I can't even tell exactly what phone operating system the poster is using, so maybe the guess by chrisnin of it being an iPhone problem is as good as any. I think people would agree PagePlus uses a different PRL than Verizon post paid service, which means the phone might connect to different towers. I can't seem to track down any information online to say if Page Plus or Verizon charge for lost data transmissions, but data loss is likely an inherent issue with many forms of wireless data transmission. Basically I was just saying, what if PagePlus/Verizon charge for lost data transmissions and the PagePlus PRL is connecting to different towers that result in more data loss?
    I am using a Droid Bionic rooted and running ICS.

I am not really sure what the issue is and I know asking page plus would be useless. I have still yet to reach my 250mb limit but I am cutting it close.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Mainly I was trying to think of things that may have changed when going from Verizon to Page Plus, like a phone's PRL, and it appears you might have changed from using Verizon LTE data to 3G data with Page Plus. Page Plus is just a Verizon MVNO (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/a...esellerFAQ.jsp), so Verizon probably tracks data usage for Page Plus customers and then Page Plus handles billing. I cannot seem to find any quality data billing information online for Page Plus, but the Verizon website reads "Verizon Wireless charges you for all data sent or received using our network, including any network overhead associated with content sent or received." Network overhead means you're going to be charged more to transmit information than the actual information transported. I'm still not sure if Verizon charges for data loss, but without knowing the technical differences between LTE and 3G (EV-DO), I suppose the networks could require different amounts of overhead for certain data transfers. I'm not sure if either the "my data manager" application or the standard usage information would account for things like data loss or network overhead.

Anyway, if you want to troubleshoot what is going on I would suggest logging into your Page Plus account online and looking at your "call records". For any day that you use your phone with data I think you should get at least one description for "Data (Data Usage)" from number "723487686", where the usage column indicates the number of bytes that you are being charged. The data usage number should include bytes with network overhead included, and a million bytes is considered one megabyte (MB) for data transfer. The number of data records apparently depends on the phone, where some phones keep the data session open all day and other phones record numerous data sessions. The data records may take a few days to show up, so generally you need to know what you were doing with the phone on previous days to make much sense of the "call records". Personally I think the "set mobile data limit" (http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...our-data-plan/) is an interesting feature for prepaid data on Android 4, so if there is a day where you don't need to use data on the phone maybe you could test by setting a very small data limit to use for the day, and later you could check to see how much data you actually end up being charged for using. Whatever the cause of the data usage, the "call records" are probably your best bet at figuring out what is going on.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Turn data off and compare for a while. See if there is any "overhead" with that, lol. Fattin Data Toggle widget is handy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    Fattin Data Toggle widget is handy.
    I agree that leaving data off, except at the times you want to use data, is a way to eliminate some possible causes for higher than expected data use.

Phones
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score

I'm on the $29.95 plan with the 250mb data using a Bionic. I figure i can use about 8mb a day so i don't go over the 250mb a month. 8mb a day is not much so i have data turned off via the 3g watchdog toggle when I'm at home on wifi.

So when I'm out I try not to stream anything. However when using maps while out that uses a lot of data.

When i was with Virgin Mobile I tested to see if could stay under the 250mb and managed it for two month to stay within the limit.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Facebook still sucked a lot of data for me when I left the app logged in but turned notifications off. Accodring to my monitor app it pulled 100 MB in the 3-4 days I accidently left network data on.

Also. I bet Verizon does not charge data rates for senging pics via text messages, where as PagePlus does. And maybe your data monitor app does not track data usage for text messages?
    Timothy Barr