Thread: How does BYOP on CDMA works?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

How does BYOP on CDMA works?

Ok so I asked a few days ago about byop and how they work, and got the link for the general prepaid wiki where I learned GSM BYOP.

I am no curious how CDMA works and what are the steps? I know it's more complicated that GSM. Not sure if anyone asked about this before, sorry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzor View Post
    Ok so I asked a few days ago about byop and how they work, and got the link for the general prepaid wiki where I learned GSM BYOP.

I am no curious how CDMA works and what are the steps? I know it's more complicated that GSM. Not sure if anyone asked about this before, sorry.
    1)Orginal carrier Cdma phones that can be ota over the air activated on mvnos . I. E. Verizon postpaid clean esn phones 3G on Page Plus, Next G, Talk for Good, etc. Sprint clean esn phones on Sprint mvnos that allow Byosd /Bring your own Sprint device like Prepayd, Eco, Chit Chat, Ting.

Sprint clean esn phones can include wimax 4G, LTE and 3G. LTE is not working on most but Ting has it. Wimax is working on some.

Some prepaid divsions like Boost Mobile and Verizon prepaid allow activation of certain handsets from their postpaid/parent carrier. Boost mobile is limited to under thirty select handsets. Verizon prepaid, most 3G phones will work including the iphone. No 4G.

2) Flashing. Reprogramming phones that are not supported by the mvnos like non Verizon phones on a Verizon mvno (fairly easy), LTE devices from Verizon on a Verizon mvno. Verizon, Sprint and other major carrier phones on an independent regional (Like Cricket).

Flashing requires technical skill, software, hardware and runs the risk of bricking the phone or getting only partial functions (talk/text only, 1xrtt data only, etc). If you're unsure, stick to the first method of activating clean esn postpaid carrier phones on prepaid divisions and mvnos that run under their system.

3)Rewriting esn. This allows any cdma phone from any carrier to work on any carrier but is fraught with legal grey zones and black zones. If a person who's flashing is able to "magically" put any cdma phone on a network that doesn't allow byod/byop (Virgin Mobile for example), then it's been rewritten. They take a legitimate serial number from an original phone that belongs to the target carrier and it is grafted onto a phone from an otherwise incompatible carrier so the system believes that said grafted phone is one of their own original ones.

Talk of how to do this used to get people banned on Hofo but I believe they've relaxed the rules on that just a bit.

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The simple answer is that you take a phone that works on the MVNOs underlying carrier, you call the MVNO, and they move it over to their database and activate it. The long answer is "See Fonezfonz's message."

Quote Originally Posted by jayzor View Post

Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I no longer see messages from these users (and won't respond to them):
    pfoneguy, rcentros.

Feedback Score
    So can I purchase the VM LG Optimus Elite @ Radio Shack and activated it use it on PagePlus ?

If so, can someone point me to how I go about it?

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    So can I purchase the VM LG Optimus Elite @ Radio Shack and activated it use it on PagePlus ?

If so, can someone point me to how I go about it?

Okeh ...follow fonezfonz instructions. Find someone who can flash your phone to Verizon software. Keep in mind, data and multi-media things may no longer work after you do this.
    Regards, FJ

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It will take an ESN rewrite to bring a non-Verizon phone to Page Plus. Also I don't think there's a corresponding Verizon version of that model to get software from. Running the Virgin software will not allow Verizon's over the air programming to work, you will need to manually program and transfer a PRL.

It would be much easier to start with a Verizon 3G smartphone, which will activate directly on Page Plus.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: How does BYOP on CDMA works?

I have a Virgin mobile phone on PagePlus and it did not require changing the esn. It did require knowing the msl number to manually input the min and msid, and you do have to change the prl which is simple to do with a trial version of CDMA workshop. So as long as PagePlus will accept your esn( which so far hasn't been a problem) and you know your msl, which you can get from Virgin if they are willing to give it, and you can change your prl it will work. Data on the other hand is another thing. For that to work you must write your esn to a Verizon phone that will do over the air programming, do an esn reset with PagePlus, allow it to OTA program with your esn written to it, then take the HA and Secret passwords and write to your phone. That part is a little complicated and requires an additional phone that the esn can be easily changed on, I have been told a Samsung Fascinate is ideal. Obviously you must then change the donor phones esn back to its original and never have both powered on with same esn number.

Sent from my HTC One V using HowardForums

Carriers
    AT&T mobile share
    T-mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score

Re: How does BYOP on CDMA works?

I am fascinated by how page plus will liberally accept an esn of a phone from a carrier not of its own. Flashing itself seemed rather obscure when pocket and cricket first came to town as something only professionals in a cell phone shop and forum members were more secretive about posting step by step instructions but now even did it myself to activate an LTE phone on PP. I'm glad everything worked out for the better so that now we have better choices.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    ok thanks guys, but isn't flashing currently illegal? read about DMCA making cellphone unlocking illegal a few days ago.

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    No, flashing is not illegal. Unlocking != Flashing

Also RE: Virgin Mobile you need the SPC (MSL) and whether they give it to your or not you can easily find it with a little trial and error. CDMA Workshop is your friend.