Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG 840G Owners: are you having problems with accessing public wifi ???

Carrier
    Consumer Cellular - Ting - R+ - Lyca - PPC
    Feedback Score

Exclamation LG 840G Owners: are you having problems with accessing public wifi ???

Is there an inherent problem with connecting to public wifi hot spots with the 840G, like Starbucks, etc? I know I saw a post on this, but I could not find it and I remember it being somewhat ambiguous.
    So, are LG840G users experiencing a problem and is there a solution or work around?? I ordered one up and this would be a problem for me so I thought I would ask before I unbox it, etc.
    If there is already an expanded thread or discussion please post a link, thanks.
    Last edited by pfoneguy; 03-25-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Not really useful - but was easy to find:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ng+public+wifi

Carrier
    Feedback Score

Attention LG 840G users, please respond to this question it would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Not really useful - but was easy to find:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ng+public+wifi
    Yes thank you, that is the thread I was thinking of, unfortunately it leaves the issue open and apparently unresolved. So to my initial question, are those of you who are using the 840G experiencing a problem with connecting at public WiFi hot spots?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Most of the hotspots I come across are either password-protected or have poor signal strength.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripwire4020 View Post
    Most of the hotspots I come across are either password-protected or have poor signal strength.
    Most public places that offer wifi access are not password protected and even if they are, you should be able to access the log in/terms of service page, which just happens to be the reported problem. I rarely have issues with my laptop at most places so signal strength is not an issue, so unless the phone has problems, then signal strength should not be an issue.
    Are you saying you have a problem connecting with the 840G?

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score

LG 840G Owners: are you having problems with accessing public wifi ???

The only issue I had when my parents lg840 compared to my iphone was being able to render the pages to authenticate yourself onto some networks they just keep wifi off now.

Phone
    LG840G
    Carrier
    Tracfone (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The problem I've sometimes had is with accessing the start page. Especially at DFW airport. The Tracfone browser can't render the page and for some reason Opera won't even begin to display the web page.

Feedback Score
    Happened to me once too. How have you solved it (if solved?).
    Thanks!
    Looking for Tracfone promo codes?
    "We live in a cool time of the evolution - the time we understand we live in a cool time of the evolution".

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon Ton View Post
    Happened to me once too. How have you solved it (if solved?).
    Thanks!
    That is just it, is there a systemic problem and if so, is there a solution or at least a work around for it???
    So it appears no one uses the feature out side of their home wifi? 20 or 30 replies to gel skins for this phone, but crickets here, just sayin'.
    My Moto w370 works fine but lacks even a basic camera, my LG420G turns out to be a piece of crap in that you can't even use the alarm functions, neither is even remotely friendly to basic browsing and I have a pig in poke on the way.
    I think the worst thing about TF is that they offer no support for their phones in the way of firmware or software updates, they roll out a product and to heck with any updates to solve even basic pattern problems found in use! Frustrating to say the least!

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    I received my 840G and it is a lot smaller than I thought it was so I don't think using the virtual qwerty is going to be easy enough for me to use even in the landscape mode. That and with the limited browsing capabilities and supported apps, the alpha-numeric keyboard for search boxes and this apparent unresolved connection issue, wish I would have received more feedback. So I am just going to send it back, I would hate to unbox it and find out that I am not happy with it,

What I am going to do is try Page Plus with an HTC "dinc" that way I have a somewhat larger touch screen qwerty and through all functions, no apparent problems with public WiFi connections(none with our VM HTC EVO V 3G), capable browsing and available apps not tied to java where you have to change a line of code to get them to work, an 8 MP camera with flash and auto focus and through my research, pretty competitive with TF costs. Best way is to try it and see.

Still have my trusty W370 and my not so trusty 420G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    I received my 840G and it is a lot smaller than I thought it was so I don't think using the virtual qwerty is going to be easy enough for me to use even in the landscape mode. That and with the limited browsing capabilities and supported apps, the alpha-numeric keyboard for search boxes and this apparent unresolved connection issue, wish I would have received more feedback. So I am just going to send it back, I would hate to unbox it and find out that I am not happy with it,

What I am going to do is try Page Plus with an HTC "dinc" that way I have a somewhat larger touch screen qwerty and through all functions, no apparent problems with public WiFi connections(none with our VM HTC EVO V 3G), capable browsing and available apps not tied to java where you have to change a line of code to get them to work, an 8 MP camera with flash and auto focus and through my research, pretty competitive with TF costs. Best way is to try it and see.

Still have my trusty W370 and my not so trusty 420G.
    I just got an 840G and am having the same problem. I tried to connect at a Target store and the login page loaded fine, but the default browser refused to let me check the "accept terms and conditions" checkbox. I've found that sometimes zooming way in on a button or checkbox will get around this problem but not in this case.
    I don't suppose TracFone will ever update this phone.

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Don't hold your breath for a reply to your query or for TF to update this phone or any of their phones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfoneguy View Post
    Yes thank you, that is the thread I was thinking of, unfortunately it leaves the issue open and apparently unresolved. So to my initial question, are those of you who are using the 840G experiencing a problem with connecting at public WiFi hot spots?
    Thanks
    Have just been looking in to this last couple days. So far I have found at one of the public I cannot connect once the router or what ever launches/opens a new window which tracks time/bytes sent/received. This is after checking the terms of service on the first opening page. Had my notebook with me as well. Seems the LG840 cannot handle their system launching a 2nd window. Too bad really as that is a good place. They have a whole room of computers for public use so still a useful spot. Good luck...

I have UCBrouser and Opera mini on as well, but that didn't help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Linear1 View Post
    Have just been looking in to this last couple days. So far I have found at one of the public I cannot connect once the router or what ever launches/opens a new window which tracks time/bytes sent/received. This is after checking the terms of service on the first opening page. Had my notebook with me as well. Seems the LG840 cannot handle their system launching a 2nd window. Too bad really as that is a good place. They have a whole room of computers for public use so still a useful spot. Good luck...

I have UCBrouser and Opera mini on as well, but that didn't help.
    You can't open two browsers at once, but can't you open a second window within the one you're using?

Feedback Score
    Well, good for TracFone, I received a message from them on this forum inviting me to submit a problem report about this issue. I'll let you know what they say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast