Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BB10 - Email Limitations & Issues

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

BB10 - Email Limitations & Issues

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Z10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0.10.672 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

EDIT - Split from Z10 Questions thread

Quote Originally Posted by Supa_fly
    This is the clue why we cannot go further than 30days of emails on our BB10 devices or PlayBooks, the reason is huge data costs over a mobile network - especially while roaming. Some emails have a history in thread going over days or weeks and most are in HTML format, even without attachments, this can grow beyond 1MB in size. Most people now have hundreds of emails in a week if not more, imagine how many more in a month, and with multiple email accounts.
    Can you tell me more about this? This is a bone of contention with me, both on my Z10 and on my iPad. What does saving emails forever on my device have to do with network congestion? My 9900 on BES let me keep them forever. I thought it was bad enough that you can't sync headers for all emails on the Exchange server (no device has been able to do this to my knowledge), but now I can't even save what's already on my device? I just don't get it.

Great post by the way.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; 03-24-2013 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Split from Z10 Questions thread

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Z10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0.10.672 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

Can you tell me more about this? This is a bone of contention with me, both on my Z10 and on my iPad. What does saving emails forever on my device have to do with network congestion? My 9900 on BES let me keep them forever. I thought it was bad enough that you can't sync headers for all emails on the Exchange server (no device has been able to do this to my knowledge), but now I can't even save what's already on my device? I just don't get it.

Great post by the way.
    I didn't mention 'congestion' that was the reason why BBOS existed with the NOC to limit that back in the days before HSPA/LTE so it made perfect sense. What I meant to say was data consumption. RIM before the name change had a huge and rightfully factual article of how ActiveSync devices consumed huge amounts of corporate data - iPhone and Android at the time - especially on roaming.

Not all of the data was specific to HTML emails or attachments, but to apps running in the background, most especially for iOS. iOS, applications continue to use a data connection for up to 10mins - this is by the iOS design. Then their cut-off or placed into a dormant state saving updated data to storage ... ONLY iOS core apps or Apple apps along with any third party app using VOIP continues to use data in the background.

Now consider how Jobs told the world that when you place an app in the background not to worry it'll continue where you left off, its that easy. What he nor Apple stated was the continued data so consider:
    Podcasts you subscribe to get updates (audio and video; that you've allowed to use cellular data) get to download MB/GB of data ...
    Maps - a HUGE culprit for this!!!
    Nike+ made by Apple so it continues.
    iTunes U - LOTS of data on subscribed university content (very excellent BTW, I'm still trying to find a way to migrate this to my BB10 device)

I'm not sure what you mean by synching email headers? I'm thinking the title of an email is a header or the top half of a bounce-back. I'll need a reference/example to understand as I haven't heard that term in a long while.
    Formerly: Prom1, now I'm Supa_Fly!!
    My Feedback

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score

Sorry, let me try and clarify with my non tech background. When I first hooked into a BES I assumed that my whole mailbox (save personal pst folders) would sync to my device. I quickly learned that only a couple weeks (or something like that) synced. On my iPad and my Z10 (EAS with no BES) I don't think any emails synced (just from activation day forward...no previous emails).

I regularly refer back to emails for reference, and remote search is not always convenient. I want to be able to pop into a folder and have all my emails right there.

What I meant by headers (probably a bad term) is just the subject, date, sender etc of all my emails should sync back forever. Then if I want to download the message I should have to do that ad hoc. With the technology we have today, you can't tell me this isn't possible. And now I feel like I'm going back in time by only being able to keep previously synced emails on my device for 30 days.

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Sorry, let me try and clarify with my non tech background. When I first hooked into a BES I assumed that my whole mailbox (save personal pst folders) would sync to my device. I quickly learned that only a couple weeks (or something like that) synced. On my iPad and my Z10 (EAS with no BES) I don't think any emails synced (just from activation day forward...no previous emails).

I regularly refer back to emails for reference, and remote search is not always convenient. I want to be able to pop into a folder and have all my emails right there.

What I meant by headers (probably a bad term) is just the subject, date, sender etc of all my emails should sync back forever. Then if I want to download the message I should have to do that ad hoc. With the technology we have today, you can't tell me this isn't possible. And now I feel like I'm going back in time by only being able to keep previously synced emails on my device for 30 days.
    Ah. I thought that's what you meant.

Remote Search is handy - at least on Android & iOS, but on BB10 its not working beyond 30days and I cannot find anything specifically related on BB's public documents. I'm not registered any longer with the Expert Support so I only have access to blackberry.com/btsc for now; thus I'm limited.

headers - perfect explanation.
    - when you access the advance settings in
    Settings > Accounts > select your account > Advanced button (bottom of screen) > scroll to the very bottom Sync Timeframe = 30days is the maximum.
    I have a hunch you know about this and feel silly for mentioning it but hopefully this helps.

Now just like previous BB's this will NOT sync ALL folders by default (only Inbox/Deleted/Sent) any other folders you need to enable this in the same screen.

Referring back to emails is a prudent action for anyone in business ... what's MORE important is how this relates to the Calendar or Activity tab in Contacts and makes you more efficient at researching dialog with those important to you. I'm at a LOSS why this was missed by RIM/BlackBerry ... and wondering if we should send a kind email pleading with them to make the change to allow ....

1 month
    3 months
    Entire mailbox or indefinite.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Supa_Fly View Post
    Ah. I thought that's what you meant.

Remote Search is handy - at least on Android & iOS, but on BB10 its not working beyond 30days and I cannot find anything specifically related on BB's public documents. I'm not registered any longer with the Expert Support so I only have access to blackberry.com/btsc for now; thus I'm limited.
    This is not at all what I meant by my post above, but this now opens a whole other can of worms. I was saying that the device would only store 30 days worth, and that it was inconvenient for me to have to use remote search to go beyond that. I swear remote search was working for me, but now that you've said this I ran a few tests and nothing is coming up beyond 30 days. What the hell?

headers - perfect explanation.
    - when you access the advance settings in
    Settings > Accounts > select your account > Advanced button (bottom of screen) > scroll to the very bottom Sync Timeframe = 30days is the maximum.
    I have a hunch you know about this and feel silly for mentioning it but hopefully this helps.
    Yes, I knew this and had it set to the maximum. One of my complaints is why can't this be set to indefinite like with previous BlackBerry's.

Now just like previous BB's this will NOT sync ALL folders by default (only Inbox/Deleted/Sent) any other folders you need to enable this in the same screen.
    I knew this too (learned about a week in when I couldn't find emails), but thank you for reminding me. I just went to double-check my settings, and all sub-folder syncing was disabled. I have enabled it a couple times, but obviously something is kicking it back to default settings. Not impressed with this.

Referring back to emails is a prudent action for anyone in business ... what's MORE important is how this relates to the Calendar or Activity tab in Contacts and makes you more efficient at researching dialog with those important to you. I'm at a LOSS why this was missed by RIM/BlackBerry ... and wondering if we should send a kind email pleading with them to make the change to allow ....

1 month
    3 months
    Entire mailbox or indefinite.
    Agreed

So there's really 3 issues I have:
    1: Inability to retain emails on device beyond 30 days
    2: Inability for any cell phone (let alone the email king) to sync an entire mailbox (previous emails included), even if it's just the headers
    3: *New* The fact that the remote search doesn't appear to be functioning properly

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh man ... I think Denny and I have hijacked this thread from its original posting and concerns ... yet not intentionally. These concerns are becoming more prevailent and I'm sure are affecting more users than they even realize.

Mods ... is it possible we can section off the last few posts that Denny and I have made into a new thread ... something titled "BB10 - Email Limitations & Issues" or something to that nature?

Bah ... I'll probably begin myself.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Oh man ... I think Denny and I have hijacked this thread from its original posting and concerns ... yet not intentionally. These concerns are becoming more prevailent and I'm sure are affecting more users than they even realize.

Mods ... is it possible we can section off the last few posts that Denny and I have made into a new thread ... something titled "BB10 - Email Limitations & Issues" or something to that nature?

Bah ... I'll probably begin myself.
    Done...good call sir

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks.

Regarding headers I think i fully understand now. I believe this was available on previous BB devices ... (maybe not in 7.1 but unsure).

Having the ability to have the following instead of the full email downloaded is much more beneficial then downloading only up to 30 days worth of emails in any folder/sub-folders.

Sender & CC'd
    Title
    Time & Date
    (attachment notification icon)
    Maybe the first line/two with a "download entire email" or something similar.

This at least would allow anyone to see that an email is present beyond 30 days and hardly have any data consumption towards their monthly bill because all that data (even if its an HTML email) is text only. Downloading the full email will then give you subsequent formatting.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Thanks.

Regarding headers I think i fully understand now. I believe this was available on previous BB devices ... (maybe not in 7.1 but unsure).
    Don't think so. I only ever got maybe a 2 week sync of email headers. You could transfer synced emails from one device to another via the Device Switch Wizard in BlackBerry Desktop Manager, but you definitely didn't get a full sync right out the gate. And even the device switch didn't always work. I lost most my emails on the device when I went from my 9780 to my 9900. And then I lost everything going from the 9900 to the Z10.

Having the ability to have the following instead of the full email downloaded is much more beneficial then downloading only up to 30 days worth of emails in any folder/sub-folders.

Sender & CC'd
    Title
    Time & Date
    (attachment notification icon)
    Maybe the first line/two with a "download entire email" or something similar.

This at least would allow anyone to see that an email is present beyond 30 days and hardly have any data consumption towards their monthly bill because all that data (even if its an HTML email) is text only. Downloading the full email will then give you subsequent formatting.
    +1000

Seems simple enough to me. BlackBerry is the email king...why can't they do this for me?!

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    As most of us know, BB 10.1 removed the 30 day limit on EAS email and made it possible to store emails on device for an unlimited amount of time...or so I've been told! I'm on 10.1, but I'm still not getting more than 30 days worth (an email that was on my device 31 days ago is now gone). And to make matters worse, remote search still doesn't work for me.

A GoDaddy support rep from the CEO's office saw a post of mine on another forum, and we promptly connected via email. Sounds like this guy at least knows what he's talking about. He's waiting for a the carrier to push the 10.1 update so they can test it out for themselves on their Z10 test unit. I will post back when I know more.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDaddy
    Thank you for your message and your patience with my reply.

This is a guess based on the information you have provided thus far, but I believe that the issues you are experiencing are not related to any Go Daddy policy but rather the difference between the Exchange 2007 plan vs 2010 Exchange. With Exchange 2007 plans, only one month can be synced to the device. However 2010 exchange plans do allow you to sync and store your entire email box on you device.

Additionally, you should be able remote search on your device. You can find detailed instructions on how to do so at the link below:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

If you have more details to share I'll gladly look at the specifics of your account, feel free to reply back or email me directly at *****@GoDaddy.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyCrane
    Thank you for getting back to me. I can't tell if I have a 2007 or a 2010 plan. Sounds like 2010 is better, but that I might still be on 2007. Can you check? And are there any drawbacks to switching to 2010? Features? Cost?

Also I know how to use remote search, but it doesn't work. I tried again exactly like the instructions say, but it doesn't find anything. I even went into my Outlook client and copied a subject line letter for letter.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDaddy
    Thank you for your reply.

I was able to review your account and found that your email plan is an Exchange 2007 plan. As such your plan will only allow you to store and sync up to a 1 months’ worth of emails. More information on how to find your Hosted Exchange type can be found at the link below:

http://support.godaddy.com/help/arti...-email-version

I have reviewed with our advanced teams to ensure that our exchange email plans do allow remote syncing. We have tested this on iOS devices as well as Android devices on both 2007 and 2010 Exchange plans. We do have access to a Blackberry Z10 device, however at this time the carrier for that device has not pushed out the 10.1 update yet, but it is expected any day. Once we have the update and can test remote search capabilities I will reply back and let you know of our findings.

Should you have any additional questions or concerns our 24/7 customer support teams are available at 480-***.**** and via email at Support@GoDaddy.com.

Kind Regards,

GoDaddy
    480.***.****
    Sunday-Thursday 5:00 AM to 3:00 PM
    Office of the CEO
    *****@GoDaddy.com

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hi Denny,

Any update or feedback to your issue with GoDaddy?

From my limited experience and research ...
    Applies to: Exchange Server 2010 SP3, Exchange Server 2010 SP2
    Source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...xchg.141).aspx

6. Use the Sync Settings
    Include past e-mail items Use this drop-down list to select the date range of e-mail items to synchronize to the mobile phone. The available options include the following: All, One Day, Three Days, One Week, Two Weeks, and One Month. If you have to specify other options, use the Shell to configure this setting.
    of particular interest according to you being on Exchange 2007 plan ... find out if their using Exchange 2007 SP1 ... if so then it is a SETTING their holding you and about everyone else using that same server to.

Source: http://www.msexchange.org/articles-t...ce-pack-1.html

Include past e-mail items:
    With this setting you can specify how far back e-mail items should be kept on the mobile device. You can choose between All, One Day, Three Days, One Week, Two Weeks and One month

^ That said in the same source in this quote noticed the screenshot shows "ALL" (not 30days/1 month limitation).
    Name:  image0121188395480320.jpg
Views: 3793
Size:  24.9 KB
    So hopefully this helps. Sorry this past 40 days has been super crazy ... leaving BB10 on my part was a mistake on Nexus4 I'll be back to Z10 within 7 days.

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for checking in. I really haven't had much time to deal with this either. My emails to my contact at GoDaddy seem get answers on a weekly rotation. The most recent was a reply saying they're waiting for the 10.1 OS to be pushed by a US carrier so they can test to ensure Exchange 2010 does in fact have the unlimited retention option. I let him know that AT&T pushed it on July 9th, but haven't heard back.

I also found out that I can upgrade from 2007 to 2010, but it seems like a bit of a complicated process that involves signing up for a new plan and cancelling the old. I'm a little nervous because I'm barely into the 12 months that I prepaid for on my 2007 plan. But when I get some spare time I'll definitely give it a go.

As for your SP1 question, I'll definitely pass that along next time I'm in contact with the GoDaddy rep - thanks!

Oh, side note here, but I am still having a couple other issues:
    1) Still can't file Sent items...I have to pull out my iPad to do that
    2) Sometimes sending an email just sits there and hangs forever until I cancel it. Also there are times when I can't open attachments. Very frustrating.

Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Oh, side note here, but I am still having a couple other issues:
    1) Still can't file Sent items...I have to pull out my iPad to do that
    2) Sometimes sending an email just sits there and hangs forever until I cancel it. Also there are times when I can't open attachments. Very frustrating.
    Um, 'File Sent Items' ... to?? I'm confused on this ... as I don't File my sent items because well their "sent items". Do you mean filing to a PST/Archive file with its own structure?

Attachments ... this maybe a complicated issue ... a stab in the dark, are you dealing with password protected attachments which you cannot open continually?

Carrier
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Q10: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.1720 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

I literally have 100's of folders, and I regularly have a need to move sent items into a specific folder so I have a record of it (and so I can actually find it when I need to). It's never been an issue on legacy devices with BES, or with my iPad on EAS; but BlackBerry 10 with EAS doesn't seem to have this capability.

As for the attachment thing, definitely not a password issue. It's almost like it doesn't want to download certain messages properly.

An example I had the other day was a PDF document that I sent out from my Outlook client. I then forwarded that sent item to a single recipient with further instructions on what I needed done. Both emails synced to the sent folder on my BlackBerry. I tried to open the pdf from my device the next day, but it gave me some error message about not being able to download the attachment. But when I tried to open the second email (the one I forwarded with additional instructions), the attachment downloaded just fine.

I've also tried to forward a travel confirmation last week and it just sat there trying to send forever and ever until I finally cancelled it. I've had that happen to me in the past as well; sometimes with no attachment even. Or other times it might take a minute or two to send a simple email. Very weird.

Feedback Score
    Update Os please, download forever and remote search now available, I just keep 30 days Hotmail and forward everything to that, also Gmail does instant push over imap now even if I set sync to 24 hours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast