Thread: question about xperia ray, xperia sola, xperia u

Feedback Score

question about xperia ray, xperia sola, xperia u

i was trying to find a small phone that will work on tmobile.

so far i found these 3 but i dont know anything about gsm hsdpa spectrum etc. so i have no idea if these are compatible with tmobile.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsso...a_ray-3972.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_sola-4408.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_u-4437.php

i think i read tmobile uses 1700 and 1900? but none of these phones have 1700, so does that mean they wont work? as you can see, i'm very confused by all this lol.

second question is, if these wont work with tmobile, would they work with any other carrier like at&t?
    i'm trying very hard to find a small-ish phone, but vast majority of android phones out there are closer to 5 inches. i was hoping to find something decent in the 4.5 or less range, but as you can see not many choices =/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zeen View Post

i think i read tmobile uses 1700 and 1900? but none of these phones have 1700, so does that mean they wont work? as you can see, i'm very confused by all this lol.
    T-Mobile's main 3G network is on 1700 also known as AWS which covers 220 million people. As you noted, none of these phones have that. T-Mobile has been putting a 3G network on 1900 and they say it covers 140 million people. So that's less people, but they're continuing to expand it.

The only map of their 1900 network is submitted by users and is found at airportal.de

You can lookup your city there.

The phones with 3G, 850 bands and 1900 bands will work on AT&T. Some models have two different sets of 3G bands. The models that have only 900/2100 3G are meant from Europe so you do not want those models for American use.

By the way, all of the phones will work on T-Mobile's 2G. So if the phone doesn't get the 1900 3G it will fallback to T-Mobile's 2G network which is more widespread.

I hope that answered your questions.

Feedback Score
    thanks for the detailed explanation, its really helped me learn more about this.
    its unfortunate it wont work with tmobile, b/c i preferred their mvno options compared to at&t.
    i did a little more digging after reading what you mentioned and yes, theres two different versions listed in those links. from those 3 phones it appears 2 had been sold in america somewhere at some point. i didnt notice that before, so thanks for pointing that out

xperia ray ST18i (international version)
    and xperia ray ST18a (american)

xperia u ST25i (international)
    and xperia ST25a (american)

the xperia sola only has one version according to that link, but does appear to have the required 850 / 1900, but i'm not 100% sure if it would be compatible.

ps. i'm curious about the tmobile 2g, you said its only on the 1900 spectrum, but do they split the voice from data? for example, is 2g is for voice only, 3g for data? or another way to ask is, what is the 1900 2g spectrum currently used for by tmobile?

pps. if tmobile uses 1700/1900, and at&t uses 850/1900.. who uses 2100?
    Last edited by zeen; 03-29-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zeen View Post
    thanks for the detailed explanation, its really helped me learn more about this.
    its unfortunate it wont work with tmobile, b/c i preferred their mvno options compared to at&t.
    i did a little more digging after reading what you mentioned and yes, theres two different versions listed in those links. from those 3 phones it appears 2 had been sold in america somewhere at some point. i didnt notice that before, so thanks for pointing that out

xperia ray ST18i (international version)
    and xperia ray ST18a (american)

xperia u ST25i (international)
    and xperia ST25a (american)

the xperia sola only has one version according to that link, but does appear to have the required 850 / 1900, but i'm not 100% sure if it would be compatible.

ps. i'm curious about the tmobile 2g, you said its only on the 1900 spectrum, but do they split the voice from data? for example, is 2g is for voice only, 3g for data? or another way to ask is, what is the 1900 2g spectrum currently used for by tmobile?

pps. if tmobile uses 1700/1900, and at&t uses 850/1900.. who uses 2100?
    T-Mobile does both data and voice in 2G on 1900. The data is known as either EDGE or GPRS and it is slow. And yes, T-Mobile uses 2G spectrum on 1900. If you get one of these phones without T-Mobile's 3G bands, it will default to their 2G network for both voice and data.

2100 3G is used primarily in Europe.

See this chart of the 3G frequencies and who uses what where:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_fr...bands#UMTS-TDD