Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lycamobile US - Erratic,. Slow Data With a UK IP Address

Feedback Score

Lycamobile US - Erratic,. Slow Data With a UK IP Address

I am trying out Lycamobile PAYGO.

I have found that some days the data works, some days it doesn't.

However, even though Tmobile data is fast in my area, I am only getting download speeds of around 244 kbps when the data does work..

The other strange thing is that apparently the data is tunneling to the UK, my IP address shows as being in the UK even though I am in the US (so, for example if I type www.google.com, it goes to Google UK.

Feedback Score
    is it because of APN setting to their servers?

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score
    Is your data 2G or 3G? So far, I have not seen 3G showing on my phone. Only 'E'.

Carriers
    Page Plus
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm using an iPhone 3gs, and only getting 'E'. Also I don't have MMS. Same deal with the UK proxy.

Feedback Score
    I find that the speed has improved since my earlier post.

Now getting 4G indicator on phone, 5387 kbps down and 907 kbps up. Remember, as they are using Tmobile, you only get 3G/4G speeds with an AWS capable phone.

Still uses a UK ip (defaults to google.co.uk if I type google.com.)

Quote Originally Posted by elginkevin View Post
    I'm using an iPhone 3gs, and only getting 'E'. Also I don't have MMS. Same deal with the UK proxy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sfnow View Post
    I find that the speed has improved since my earlier post.

Now getting 4G indicator on phone, 5387 kbps down and 907 kbps up. Remember, as they are using Tmobile, you only get 3G/4G speeds with an AWS capable phone.

Still uses a UK ip (defaults to google.co.uk if I type google.com.)
    Generally correct but if you are lucky enough to be in a Tmobile refarmed area, then you will see faster speeds beyond Edge on Att and non Tmobile type 3G and later gsm phones.

Phones
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 :: Nokia Lumia 635 :: LG Optimus F3 :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    :: Samsung Galaxy S2 ::
    :: Nokia Lumia 521 ::
    Carrier
    ::T~Mobile 2 Go :: Lycamobile :: PTel ::
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    Is your data 2G or 3G? So far, I have not seen 3G showing on my phone. Only 'E'.
    I am seeing the 3G on my Neon 2, I have not tried the data on this phone because that isn't why I am using Lycamobile, but I was surprized to see the 3G up in the left upper corner.

I guess I am in a refarmed area?

EDIT:: Yes, it looks like I am in a refarmed area, just checked using a site map that Fonezfonz posted the link to in another thread.
    After I heard about the new T~Mobile Prepaid Plans

Carriers
    Page Plus
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I did actually get 3G icon yesterday and today, and the data rate seemed pretty good. I'm not a heavy user though, just checking email and Google Voice.

Feedback Score
    Are you using data.lycamobile.us or data.lycamobile.co.uk or data.lycamobile.au for APN?

Carriers
    Page Plus
    Simple Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairly Reticent View Post
    Are you using data.lycamobile.us or data.lycamobile.co.uk or data.lycamobile.au for APN?
    I'm using none of the above. The phone configuration tool for the iPhone indicates "3g-on, Data roaming-off, Internet tethering-off" as the only required settings.

Feedback Score

LycaMobile USA Subscriber remorse

Stay away from LycaMobile USA

I have tried Lycamobile US for two months now, All I can say is, bad service,bad customer service, no multimedia messaging,and if you compose and send real long text messaging, it will be converted to MMS and will fail 100% of the time.

I have been with lycamobile usa for two months now, and I found that some calls does not go through,instead you get a text notification, even though you get good reception, and battery level. and some days the data works, some days it doesn't.

However, even though T-Mobile data is fast in my area have 3G plan and I have compatible & APN,MMS configured handsets settings, coz I can see my 3 & 4G indicator, I am only getting download speeds of around 124 kbps when the data does work..

The other strange thing is that apparently the data is tunneling to the UK, my IP address shows as being in the UK even though I am in the US and change to google.com (so, for example if I type www google com, it goes to Google UK.) Lastly I worked with them for a short time,I found out all they care about is sales quota,activations,never care about their customers and employees.I'm glad I'm outta there.
    Last edited by sikatpinoy; 08-06-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: wrong title

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 5
    Carrier
    Ringplus
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (iphone 4: Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/7.0.5/30.3593; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

I been with Lyca for 3 months and my service has been great.i get 3G.I'm the Philadelphia market.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sikatpinoy View Post
    Stay away from LycaMobile USA

I have tried Lycamobile US for two months now, All I can say is, bad service,bad customer service, no multimedia messaging,and if you compose and send real long text messaging, it will be converted to MMS and will fail 100% of the time.

I have been with lycamobile usa for two months now, and I found that some calls does not go through,instead you get a text notification, even though you get good reception, and battery level. and some days the data works, some days it doesn't.

However, even though T-Mobile data is fast in my area have 3G plan and I have compatible & APN,MMS configured handsets settings, coz I can see my 3 & 4G indicator, I am only getting download speeds of around 124 kbps when the data does work..

The other strange thing is that apparently the data is tunneling to the UK, my IP address shows as being in the UK even though I am in the US and change to google.com (so, for example if I type www google com, it goes to Google UK.) Lastly I worked with them for a short time,I found out all they care about is sales quota,activations,never care about their customers and employees.I'm glad I'm outta there.
    Some or much of this sounds like phone problems. This report is NOT typical. It is true that MMS isn't supported, but the fact that your phone is set up to send long SMS as MMS is certainly not Lycmobile's fault.

Phones
    HTC Incredible
    Nokia 5800 on t-mobile
    Star-TAC inactive
    Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I called customer service yesterday on my phone and got right thru to a kind, patient lady in England. She tried to get my Nokia 5800 data going. It did not work but she had given me a reference number to call back to speak with a tech. I may try again. ...have been happy with the talk and text service and for $25 have unlimited which even without data is pretty good deal. Lycamobile works for me here in Portland as well as a rural area on the coast where I can't get a verizon signal...so no longer have to carry two phones.

Carriers
    PTel
    Feedback Score
    I suppose the good thing about having a UK ip address, one could watch the riveting nonstop season of Downton Abby on ITV now instead of in January on PBS!! Just sayin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast