Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to get an at&t SIM or Micro-SIM on Net10

Feedback Score

How to get an at&t SIM or Micro-SIM on Net10

First off, thanks to those on this forum who have suffered through difficulties and posted how to overcome them. Because of them, I have had a great experience moving off AT&T--number porting included--and on to Net10.

So first off, someone had this tip: Use a zip code that is known to not have T-Mobile coverage when shopping for a Bring-Your-Own-Phone SIM on the Net10 site: net10sim.com. The zip code recommended was 41314. Don't worry that it is not your zip code; you'll be able to override it once the SIM is in your cart. By using this zip code, you'll be able to order a micro SIM for the AT&T network. (I had successfully cut a T-Mobile SIM from Straight Talk and used it with my unlocked phone, but the coverage and speed just wasn't good enough. I really wanted to be sure I was on AT&T, which is why I bought a micro SIM for a zip code that didn't have T-Mobile coverage.) When filling in the shipping information, just use your real address and override the pre-entered zip code. You'll have your micro SIM in a few days.

Both my wife's iPhone 4 and my 4S are unlocked, so I, personally, don't know if the SIM card will work in a locked AT&T phone. I can tell you that it is indeed using AT&T because it shows up briefly as the carrier in the upper left of the screen--you know, by the bars--and on my 4S it shows 4G, which T-Mobile doesn't have in my area. When it connects, it switches over to reading "HOME."

When I used the cut Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM, I could go directly into the settings and manually change the APN for the phone. (Changes need to be made to APN in order to access cellular data and MMS.) However, the AT&T SIM seems to disable this ability. It disables the ability to change carrier settings as well. After a bit of fumbling around with the old T-Mobile SIM, I finally figured out how to change the APN correctly.

• While connected to WiFi--because cellular data won't work--I visited net10wireless.com using Safari on the phone.
    • Near the bottom of the site, I found a link, "Bring Your Own Phone." I selected this link and was taken to another page.
    • About five links down, I saw a link, "Data/APN Settings." I selected this link, and it took me to a page that had "AT&T DATA SETTINGS" and "T-MOBILE DATA SETTINGS."
    • Since I had the AT&T micro SIM, I went to the link for AT&T. Again, two links: "ANDROID" and "IPHONE."
    • Selecting the "IPHONE" link started the process of installing a "profile." In this case, the profile wrote the proper APN settings, and I was immediately able to use cellular data and send MMSs.

I followed the same process--minus the fumbling around, because I had that all sorted out--I got my wife's phone ported and working in no time at all.

It's been a few days, and everything is working great.

I typically use WiFi whenever I can, and I don't stream music or video while not on WiFi, so I am not concerned with the 1.5 limit. My wife, according to her AT&T account, used around 7 MB of data last month--seriously, she really never uses her phone--so this won't be an issue at all for her.

I hope this helps someone else.

Feedback Score
    Thanks I have the iphone4 and was qurious about setup.You did say that mms was working with setting that was provided on Net10 website.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dogman123 View Post
    Thanks I have the iphone4 and was qurious about setup.You did say that mms was working with setting that was provided on Net10 website.
    Yes. MMS is working. Installing the profile provided by Net10 simply worked.

Feedback Score
    I'm wondering if you have to pay for the sim using this method. I looked on the Net10 website a while back, and they were charging $15 for the AT&T SIM card.

I just bought 2 AT&T sims for $1.65 on Ebay and activated one with a discounted refill from Ebay, and it worked flawlessly once I found the right APN settings here on HoFo.
    Last edited by daleraver; 04-04-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpel View Post
    Yes. MMS is working. Installing the profile provided by Net10 simply worked.
    Thanks.......

Phone
    CAN AND STRING
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you SO MUCH for this post! Does anyone know what steps to use in order to get this for an ANDROID PHONE?

ALSO, *maybe I am missing something here* but you are using the AT&T towers or TMOBILE? Also, if this is AT&T, are you getting there fastest data speeds? HSPA+ or whatever it is called?

Thank you,
    bubbadirect

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbadirect View Post
    Thank you SO MUCH for this post! Does anyone know what steps to use in order to get this for an ANDROID PHONE?

ALSO, *maybe I am missing something here* but you are using the AT&T towers or TMOBILE? Also, if this is AT&T, are you getting there fastest data speeds? HSPA+ or whatever it is called?

Thank you,
    bubbadirect
    You should be able to do the exact same thing for Android.

Using the zip code 41314, you'll see both standard and micro SIMs. Just choose the standard one. Remember the reason you are using this zip code is that there is no T-Mobile service there, so you are getting an AT&T SIM.

There is a link for Android APN settings on the page I described above.

I know I am using AT&T towers because I see it connect before switching to "HOME" and the speed of the network. I was using a T-Mobile SIM, and could only get EDGE in my house. Now I get 4G.

As for speed, well according to Speedtest, I am getting 5Mbps consistently. It seems to be capped there. I was previously getting 1 Mbps with the T-Mobile SIM, when I could find 3G.

Feedback Score
    Hi there I have a question, my att contract ends on may 20th, so i wanna switch carriers to net 10 and be able to have mms too. I checked that website you recommended net10sim.com, but it states that the sim will belong to t-mobile, so im not sure if that is the one sim you are talking about for att network, if that is the case, u propose to enter that zip code that doesnt cover tmobile networks correct?

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by operlaj View Post
    Hi there I have a question, my att contract ends on may 20th, so i wanna switch carriers to net 10 and be able to have mms too. I checked that website you recommended net10sim.com, but it states that the sim will belong to t-mobile, so im not sure if that is the one sim you are talking about for att network, if that is the case, u propose to enter that zip code that doesnt cover tmobile networks correct?
    If you do not want a T-Mobil SIM then do not use your Zip code. The post right before yours gave zip code 41314, that ONLY offers AT&T SIM`s. Use that zip and order. Correct the zip code when giving your shipping address. You can use any zip code to order what you want, not what Net10 wants to sell you.

Feedback Score
    That process seems so simple. My set up on ST was very simple. However, Net10 - not so much. Maybe someone can lend suggestions. I bought a 3GS for my teenage son, went with Net10 and everything worked great. I upgraded him to an iPhone 4, cut the sim to fit, bought a card at the local grocery, entered the card code, then wasn't able to get data. Safari would tell me I wasn't subscribed to a data service. I notified Net10. They sent me a link with an APN update. I installed it - still nothing. I repeated the process probably a dozen times over the last month. Still no data. The iPhone's profile had the Net10 installer in there but it also says "Not Verified." The reps at Net10 just kept pumping out the same responses and kept closing my tickets so I had to keep creating a new support ticket. Anyone hear have any ideas? Thanks!

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jparksnyder View Post
    That process seems so simple. My set up on ST was very simple. However, Net10 - not so much. Maybe someone can lend suggestions. I bought a 3GS for my teenage son, went with Net10 and everything worked great. I upgraded him to an iPhone 4, cut the sim to fit, bought a card at the local grocery, entered the card code, then wasn't able to get data. Safari would tell me I wasn't subscribed to a data service. I notified Net10. They sent me a link with an APN update. I installed it - still nothing. I repeated the process probably a dozen times over the last month. Still no data. The iPhone's profile had the Net10 installer in there but it also says "Not Verified." The reps at Net10 just kept pumping out the same responses and kept closing my tickets so I had to keep creating a new support ticket. Anyone hear have any ideas? Thanks!
    have you thought about using iphoneconfig tool or go on wifi and unlockit.nz to download the apn

Feedback Score
    Please tell me more about the iphoneconfig tool and unlockit.nz. Thanks!

Phone
    iPhone 5, Atrix HD
    Carriers
    Net10 BYOP
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jparksnyder View Post
    Please tell me more about the iphoneconfig tool and unlockit.nz. Thanks!
    Connect your iPhone to wifi and go to unlockit.co.nz. It will walk you through installing a profile.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket using Tapatalk

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well, you cant use that trick anymore as no choices come up now (on straight talk)...

Feedback Score
    I don't know why you guys keep avoiding Walmart.com and RadioShack.com.

Both sites still sell the AT&T-based Net10 SIM cards (Radio Shack has the better deal out of the two) and they are able to be activated for Straight Talk accounts as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast