Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Buying your iPhone 5 at T-Mobile Store vs Apple Store

Phone
    iPhone 5s, Nexus 5, Note 3, GS4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score

Buying your iPhone 5 at T-Mobile Store vs Apple Store

I'm seeing a lot of false information on major tech news sites like Verge, seems like no one takes their time to actually educate themselves before writing about it. It's even sadder watching them talking about T-Mobile plans on Verge Mobile Podcast, looking like complete tools.

Since we already know most of it, I though I'd add a comparison between T-Mo and Apple retail offerings.

T-Mobile Retail Store:

- You can either purchase an iPhone 5 outright for $579, or if your credit qualified, put a $99 downpayment and spread the remaining $480 however you want.
    - Minimum EIP is $20 a month, but you can pay more and pay off your phone in much less time.
    - Once paid off they'll unlock your phone.
    - You can also put a higher downpayment and end up getting a lower than $20 minimum monthly requirement if you wish.

Apple Retail Store:

- The price of iPhone 5 is still $650 if you're just buying an unlocked phone.
    - You can chose to apply for their Barclays Credit card and if qualified, they'll offer you 24 interest free financing.
    - If approved, you'll put $99 downpayment and your Barclays card is covering the remaining $550. Minimum payment is $20 a month, and after 6 months of on time monthly payments, they'll credit you with $70 which will match T-Mobile Retail Store offer of $579.
    - Once the phone purchase is complete, they'll proceed to TAP T-Mo activation which will set up your plan.
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Feedback Score
    Thanks Milan.

Feedback Score
    Will the phones sold at Apple stores on the 12th work with all Tmobile bands?

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eric89074 View Post
    Will the phones sold at Apple stores on the 12th work with all Tmobile bands?
    Yes. On the 12th current A1428 or unlocked iPhone 5 is being replaced with the new A1428 that will have all T-Mobile bands along with AT&T bands.
    For current A1428 owners, I suggest a swap at the Genius Bar after may 1st. Of course if you're having some button issues

Carrier
    verizon
    Feedback Score

One thing I've wondered, do they do another credit check when you get the phone or is your credit worthiness already decided when you got the account? Reason I'm wondering is I have no idea whether tmo thinks I'm worthy or not to finance a phone? Couldn't find anything in the online account
    Running too many phones

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    You're basically qualifying for EIP since there is no contract on the plan.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by milan03 View Post
    Yes. On the 12th current A1428 or unlocked iPhone 5 is being replaced with the new A1428 that will have all T-Mobile bands along with AT&T bands.
    For current A1428 owners, I suggest a swap at the Genius Bar after may 1st. Of course if you're having some button issues
    Thanks Milan for doing a very good job in breaking down the costs of purchasing the iPhone 5 in a T-Mobile store vs. an Apple store!

You mentioned doing a swap at the Genius Bar after May 1st? Is there a reason why doing this exchange after May 1st is a good time to do it? The reason why I asking this question is because I've been having issues with my iPhone for about two months now. Thanks!

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nyctechogirl View Post
    Thanks Milan for doing a very good job in breaking down the costs of purchasing the iPhone 5 in a T-Mobile store vs. an Apple store!

You mentioned doing a swap at the Genius Bar after May 1st? Is there a reason why doing this exchange after May 1st is a good time to do it? The reason why I asking this question is because I've been having issues with my iPhone for about two months now. Thanks!
    You're welcome!
    The reason I'm suggesting after May 1st is because there is usually 14day return policy for new purchases so if someone buys a new 1428 at the store, and the unit is not working right, they'll most likely replace it on the sales floor. After 14 days that's handled at the Bar. So just to be safe so that the Bar at your friendly store has enough stock of the "New A1428", I'd suggest swapping it around the 1st.

Feedback Score
    It will be interesting to see if all Apple Stores will have the new A1428 in stock on the 12th. It seems likely buying online will guarantee it, but I don't know about in-store purchases. Hopefully there will be a way to determine the difference based on the packaging.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

We will have to check the boxes to make sure it shows AWS HSPA .

If we have factory unlocked iPhone 5 devices, and do a warranty exchange, would the new model be TMobile factory unlocked too? Cause it seems that if someone buys the TMobile version on credit, the phone is locked to TMobile until you fully pay off the device.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Speed achieved using T-Mobile Samsung GS2

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you bought a factory unlocked device, the replacement is gonna be factory unlocked.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you bought a factory unlocked device, the replacement is gonna be factory unlocked.
    I have two gray unlock iPhone 5s that were originally AT&T branded bought from the apple store. I have got a couple replacements already and the unlocking is done when the swap you the replacement one. If it was white listed before your replacement will be also. I think it may be longer until AWS compatible A1428 replace the current stock depending on how busy your store is. We will see if serial numbers dated after a certain time will be the only differentiator of telling a difference. I'm crossing my fingers though plus my button is acting up

Phone
    Carrier
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Once unlocked, every swap stays unlocked.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Once unlocked, every swap stays unlocked.
    Yes sir. I will hit up my friends at the Genius Bar to see if I can get some insight on their instructions for newer A1428 swaps and I will report back.

Feedback Score
    What makes an Apple store swap out the phones? I've never heard of this phone swapping. I purchased my iPhone 5 in January straight from Apple. Could I just go in and ask them to swap mine for one of the newer models because I'm on T-Mobile?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast