Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How/where to find unlocked phones to work best in Tmobile network?

Feedback Score

How/where to find unlocked phones to work best in Tmobile network?

I am looking in all ebay but there are tons of Sprint Verizon and ATT phones but very few Tmobile?

What is going on here?

What kind of modifications do I need to make on an unlocked or ATT phone to make the phone as good as a Tmobile phone??

I am specifically interested in LTE speed on Tmobile network.

Ideas, opinions?

Carriers
    Verizon newbie
    Maxis
    Feedback Score
    It is my understanding there is only one option: go to TMO store and buy one. Other carrier's phones won't get LTE speed on TMO network....

Similar question raised here:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...TMobile-phones
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ng-on-t-mobile

Feedback Score

How/Where To Find Unlocked Phones To Work Best In Tmobile Network?

I was interested by the question that you posted, so I went to Phone Scoop and put in LTE T-Mobile phones. As you are already aware, it is a fairly short list:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/fin...y&ter=r&te_9=y

Apple iPhone 5 (Americas GSM)
    AT&T / T-Mobile
    GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 / LTE 700 / LTE 850 / LTE 1700 / LTE 1900 / WCDMA 850 / WCDMA 900 / WCDMA 1900 / WCDMA 2100

BlackBerry Z10 (GSM)
    AT&T / T-Mobile
    GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 / LTE 700 / LTE 850 / LTE 1700 / LTE 1900 / WCDMA 850 / WCDMA 1700 / WCDMA 1900 / WCDMA 2100

HTC One (GSM)
    AT&T / T-Mobile
    GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 / LTE 700 / LTE 850 / LTE 1700 / LTE 1900 / WCDMA 850 / WCDMA 1900 / WCDMA 2100

HTC Windows Phone 8X (GSM)
    AT&T / T-Mobile
    GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 / LTE 700 / LTE 850 / LTE 1700 / LTE 1900 / WCDMA 850 / WCDMA 1900

Samsung Galaxy Note
    AT&T / T-Mobile
    GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 / LTE 700 / LTE 1700 / WCDMA 850 / WCDMA 1900 / WCDMA 2100

Samsung Galaxy Note II (GSM)
    AT&T / T-Mobile
    GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 / LTE 700 / LTE 1700 / WCDMA 850 / WCDMA 900 / WCDMA 1700 / WCDMA 1900 / WCDMA 2100

Samsung Galaxy S III (T-Mobile)
    T-Mobile
    GSM 850 / GSM 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 / LTE 700 / LTE 1700 / WCDMA 850 / WCDMA 1700 / WCDMA 1900 / WCDMA 2100

I guess if it were me, I would read the reviews of the phones on that list, determine which one best suits you needs, and then focus on finding where you want to purchase it from.

With regards to the question about using an AT&T phone, you would need to get it carrier subsidy unlocked to use it on T-Mobile. Make sure, if you decide to do that, that everything you want it to do will work on T-Mobile. Also, everywhere you want it to work. For example, AT&T phones don't have the 1700 mHz band. In rural Minnesota my data would only be 2G in some places on an unlocked AT&T phone, but I would at least get 3G on a phone designed for T-Mobile. So, as they said in a Star Wars movie, "Choose wisely you must, young Padawan!"

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the list but even though the Mhz matches to what Tmobile has, the speed will not be as good as original Tmobile's

The list above is all unlocked phones which I am trying to stay away due to the fact that they will not be providing internet speeds as the same phone purchased directly from Tmobile. Because they are configured for Tmobile net work.

Anybody disagrees?

Phones
    HTC Incredible S
    Google Nexus One
    Motorola V635
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    An unlocked phone will work on Tmobile the same as phone brought from Tmobile. You just have to make sure the phone supports Tmobile bands.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by misterno123 View Post
    I am looking in all ebay but there are tons of Sprint Verizon and ATT phones but very few Tmobile?
    There are plenty of T-Mobile phones being sold on ebay. On a quick search, I see 11,133 phones.

What kind of modifications do I need to make on an unlocked or ATT phone to make the phone as good as a Tmobile phone??
    Most T-mobile phones work well on T-Mobile because they have the AWS band while most AT&T and unlocked phones do not. Since you can't add the AWS band to a phone, there's not really any modification you can do.

I am specifically interested in LTE speed on Tmobile network.
    Well since T-Mobile just started its LTE network, they sell very few devices for it currently. IPhone 5, Blackberry Z10 and Galaxy Note 2 with the HTC One and the Galaxy S 4 coming soon.

So your choices are very limited. You can buy one of those devices or wait until T-Mobile releases more.

Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the list but even though the Mhz matches to what Tmobile has, the speed will not be as good as original Tmobile's

The list above is all unlocked phones which I am trying to stay away due to the fact that they will not be providing internet speeds as the same phone purchased directly from Tmobile. Because they are configured for Tmobile net work.

Anybody disagrees?
    Why wouldn't they work as well? So long as they have:

GSM 1900 (Phone, SMS, and GPRS / Edge)
    WCDMA 1700 (T-Mobile large existing HSPA+42 network)
    LTE 1700 (T-Mobile LTE network)

The only real difference is you may need to configure some settings like the APN manually.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpookyTunes View Post
    Why wouldn't they work as well? So long as they have:

The only real difference is you may need to configure some settings like the APN manually.
    Let me try to understand

So if I buy a phone say on ebay, and unlocked or ATT, and I make sure that this phone has all the following

Then I can expect this phone to achieve LTE speed on TMobile network?

Is this a correct statement?

In other words, I am trying to get the cheapest LTE phone for Tmobile network that will give me the most speed.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=jet1000;15110215]There are plenty of T-Mobile phones being sold on ebay. On a quick search, I see 11,133 phones.

QUOTE]

Those phones with Tmobile label on them are NOT ORIGINAL tmobile phones, they are GSM but not original TMobile

And in this forum I learned that if it is not original Tmobile phone you will not get LTE speeds from Tmobile network

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score

Anybody disagrees?
    I disagree.
    Those devices as listed by Jim1348 are sold or will be by T-Mobile. Actually, the Apple iPhone 5, BB Z10, all the Samsungs listed, and the HTC Windows Phone 8X are in stores (subject to local stock) or online right now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    I disagree.
    Those devices as listed by Jim1348 are sold or will be by T-Mobile. Actually, the Apple iPhone 5, BB Z10, all the Samsungs listed, and the HTC Windows Phone 8X are in stores (subject to local stock) or online right now.
    If I go to ebay and buy one of these phones as unlocked or ATT, would they give me the same LTE speed as original Tmobile?

Either I am an idiot or this subject is really complicated
    I started 3-4 threads for this but I am still not understanding

Feedback Score
    Either I am an idiot or this subject is really complicated
    I started 3-4 threads for this but I am still not understanding
    It's not complicated. If your requirement is for LTE, I gave you your limited choices in my last post:

Blackberry Z10---sold by T-Mobile.
    Galaxy Note 2---sold by T-Mobile.
    iPhone5---sold by T-Mobile or by Apple starting April 12th. Older iPhone5's will work on LTE, but will be limited on HSPA+.

That's it! AT&T phones and unlocked phones usually aren't capable of IPv6 which is apparently a requirement on T-Mobile's LTE network. (AT&T doesn't have that requirement.)

Also as I said in my last post, the HTC One and Galaxy S4 that will be sold by T-Mobile in the next few weeks will also be LTE capable. Hope that simplifies things for you.

Feedback Score
    Thanks
    I just talked to a Tmobile store in Houston and it turns out the unlocked phones with LTE is not much different than Tmobile counterparts in speed.

Also, in Houston 1900 Mhz is used for LTE so I have to find a ATT or unlocked GSM phone with LTE and 1900 Mhz and HSPA+ incase I am away from the city.

Phone
    iPhone 5 32GB, iPad Air 32GB
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Thanks
    I just talked to a Tmobile store in Houston and it turns out the unlocked phones with LTE is not much different than Tmobile counterparts in speed.

Also, in Houston 1900 Mhz is used for LTE so I have to find a ATT or unlocked GSM phone with LTE and 1900 Mhz and HSPA+ incase I am away from the city.
    If they were using 1900 the coverage of LTE would be slightly better, also they don't have enough spectrum to deploy a full LTE network until GSM is turned off if that is the case.

^HSPA+ 42mbps---------------------------------------------- ^LTE

Feedback Score
    Lte is not all its cracked up to be... Any phone with Hspa+ that works with Tmobile will be good enough...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast