Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Netgear 4G LTE Router w/Unlimited Data SIM

Feedback Score

Netgear 4G LTE Router w/Unlimited Data SIM

Has anyone attempted to buy the new Netgear 4G LTE router off contract ($270) and use a unlimited data SIM w/it?

Router on Verizon's page - http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=6411

Netgear's support page shows a pretty easily accessible SIM slot - http://www.netgear.com/home/products...R1515.aspx#two

(click on the 'Product Specs' tab)

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I think it should work. 4G users report that they can freely move their 4G sim card to any Verizon 4G LTE device. This portability likely comes from Verizon's commitment to adhere to the 700MHz Upper C block's "open access" rules (which pretty much means you can use any compatible device of your choice).

Feedback Score
    This will work for sure assuming that your unlimited data is also allowed to be used on the LTE network.
    Note there is no CDMA fall back so if you have no LTE service, you have no internet.

Personally, although the SIM card slot may seem nice, you should look into a more sophisticated router such as the Cradlepoint MBR1400 or the MOFI3500-3GN Version 2 Rev 2.

You can get a cheap LTE device like the Pantec 290 cheap and this would be the best way since you will be able to do both 4G/LTE and CDMA and still have the full power of these routers which Netgear is not even close.

Phone
    Motorola StarTAC, 1st gen iPhone 16GB
    Carrier
    Page Plus & KTC PACE Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I 2nd the Pantec UML290. That is a great modem and it has 3G CDMA fallback.

Feedback Score
    Even the Cradlepoint MBR95 is a solid bet for home use. It only has 10/100 ethernet ports, but you can fix that with a gigabit switch for a few bucks. You can get it for $99 on Amazon. You can also get the UML290 for as low as $50 on Amazon. So for half the price of the Netgear, you get a kickass router plus a LTE/CDMA modem. Pretty sweet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thefivetheory View Post
    Even the Cradlepoint MBR95 is a solid bet for home use. It only has 10/100 ethernet ports, but you can fix that with a gigabit switch for a few bucks. You can get it for $99 on Amazon. You can also get the UML290 for as low as $50 on Amazon. So for half the price of the Netgear, you get a kickass router plus a LTE/CDMA modem. Pretty sweet.
    The Netgear also only has 10/100 ports.
    Note that for all realistic use, 10/100 is fine.

Here is a comparison for the MOFI3500-3GN vs this Netgear MBR1516 to get an idea of some of the important differences.
    http://mofinetwork.com/COMPARISON_MO...AR_MBR1516.pdf

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DummyBuy View Post
    The Netgear also only has 10/100 ports.
    Note that for all realistic use, 10/100 is fine.

Here is a comparison for the MOFI3500-3GN vs this Netgear MBR1516 to get an idea of some of the important differences.
    http://mofinetwork.com/COMPARISON_MO...AR_MBR1516.pdf
    File transfers to/from a NAS or home server are noticeably faster over gigabit Ethernet. Helps with streaming blu-ray rips also.

Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thefivetheory View Post
    The wireless on the MBR95 is weak and is flaky based on experience.

Phones
    Google Nexus 4
    NETGEAR 4G LTE Mobile Router, Novatel 4510L, HTC Rezound
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless|-T--Mobile USA|Get More|
    Feedback Score
    Does this have a powerful LTE radio/antenna? Would it pick up LTE better in a fringe area? Could it be used with a yagi antenna?

Feedback Score
    I emailed Netgear about the antenna situation and here's what they said:

1.What is the size of the SIM this unit takes? Is it a micro SIM?

Answer: Based on the manual picture, it uses a regular sized SIM card. Please check the link provided below:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil...IG_19Oct12.pdf

2.Does this unit have any fallback capability to EVDO if the LTE signal is unavailable?

Answer: No EVDO support but it has UMTS fallback.

3.Are the antenna inputs on the rear of the unit for the WiFi network for LTE? Would I be able to use an outdoor antenna mounted on my roof with this router?

Answer: Antennas are for mobile signals. You can use a different antenna as long as it uses SMA connectors.

Note: Antennas are optional and do not come with the package. Refer in the link provided below and check page 95:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/fil...UM_30Nov12.pdf

For additional information please visit link below:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...~/mbr1515-faqs

http://support.netgear.com/product/MBR1515

I hope that the information provided above would help resolve the problem. Please feel free to contact us again if you will require further assistance.

Feedback Score
    You could also do what I just did and order the non-cellular router of your choice and then just buy one of the cheapest Cradlepoint routers that supports IP Passthrough to bridge the 4G LTE connection. Then you can have one of the best consumer routers out there without being limited to what few cellular router options there are. I went with the new ASUS RT-AC66U and the Cradlepoint CBR450. The combo is around the same price as the MBR1400.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by burningrave101 View Post
    You could also do what I just did and order the non-cellular router of your choice and then just buy one of the cheapest Cradlepoint routers that supports IP Passthrough to bridge the 4G LTE connection. Then you can have one of the best consumer routers out there without being limited to what few cellular router options there are. I went with the new ASUS RT-AC66U and the Cradlepoint CBR450. The combo is around the same price as the MBR1400.

Why do you need 2 routers?

Get the MOFI3500-3GN version 2 rev 2 and you will get everything you should need!

The Mofi has ip passthought abd many more including a bpn server which the Cradlepoint does not have

Phones
    N/A
    Pantech Jest
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's a more flexible solution. There may be the best LTE signal in one place but wifi users gathered near another place. With one router you'd have to compromise. Antenna and USB cable extensions can only be a few feet long, but two routers can be linked by up to 300 feet of Ethernet cable with no loss of performance. So the one with the modem goes in the attic, by a window, etc. and serves the access point and wired LAN with the fastest possible internet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HF305 View Post
    It's a more flexible solution. There may be the best LTE signal in one place but wifi users gathered near another place. With one router you'd have to compromise. Antenna and USB cable extensions can only be a few feet long, but two routers can be linked by up to 300 feet of Ethernet cable with no loss of performance. So the one with the modem goes in the attic, by a window, etc. and serves the access point and wired LAN with the fastest possible internet.
    I recycled my Linksys E3000 by doing something similar; I used what their documentation refers to as "cascading", which basically means turning off the DHCP server, making its IP something different from the other router (I have it at 192.168.0.2, Cradlepoint MBR95 is 192.168.0.1), and moving the cable from the WAN port to a LAN port. Now it's basically gigabit switch + an access point. Pretty nice, considering I didn't even need to flash DD-WRT or anything, which is what I was expecting I'd have to do.

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    A lot of the DSL and cable modems with inbuilt wifi, the wifi turns out to be garbage (poor range, poor speed, maybe crashes under load). This allows for finding a good 4g "modem" and hook a good access point to it instead of compromising.

Get the MOFI3500-3GN version 2 rev 2 and you will get everything you should need!

The Mofi has ip passthought abd many more including a bpn server which the Cradlepoint does not have
    Cool, but the passthrough will only serve 1 device (so if you don't do passthrough to an access point or firewall, you can only have 1 device in use, wired or wifi. ) The passthrough mode is meant to bypass possibly buggy NAT and DHCP server on your modem. For example, I was at a business where the DSL modem fed into a firewall. The DSL modems Qwest (now CenturyLink) provide would lock up like it's going out of style (the several models they currently have all utterly fall apart under load), while running passthrough has proved 100% reliable.

If a model has good 4G and good wifi, go for it! Otherwise using seperate 4G and wifi provides another option.
    Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast