Thread: Changing Straight Talk Phone Number - Porting?

Feedback Score

Changing Straight Talk Phone Number - Porting?

Hey guys!

Here's the deal. I bought an iPhone 5 for my girlfriend's birthday. My plan was to port over her current number to ST (She currently has Boost) and give it to her on her birthday next week. But I'd like to get everything working first. MMS, etc.

So here's my thought. Could I activate the phone on ST right now with a new number and get everything working and set up how I want it, and then port her number to it next week? Anyone know if this could work? I have absolutely no idea as I've never used ST.

Thanks!!

Carriers
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    If it's the CDMA straight talk-branded iPhone 5 I think you will be able to change the number without much of a problem, otoh, MMS and all that stuff works usually works without much intervention, as long as you set it up as a 'new' iphone and don't restore from itunes.

If it's a gsm iphone and you'll be using a ST sim, then you will have to mess around with settings a bit to make data/MMS work correctly. But, with a sim, you'll not be able to easily change the phone number, you'll need another sim to activate/port and then use the account set up with the first sim.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You might have to cancel the service under the current plan first. Most CDMA carriers will not activate a new number on a telephone which already has an active number. That would make porting difficult since you have mixed service until the porting is completed. You receive incoming calls on your old number and make outgoing call on your new number until the porting process is completed.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carriers
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure I've ported a number into an active CDMA phone with PagePlus and also Virgin Mobile, but I don't believe I have with ST. It would probably be more challenging, lots of waiting, hearing keys clicking, massive background noise, and more waiting. You really might want to give her the phone unactivated and then proceed to activate and port all at once, would be much simpler. Good luck either way.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    You are changing carriers in your case. In this situation, the carrier does not change. When you are working with different carriers, the new carrier has no idea about the activation status of the target telephone.