Thread: Walmart $35 60 day plan

Carrier
    PTEL
    Feedback Score

Walmart $35 60 day plan

I have the T-Mobile wifi Hotspot, and use the Walmart $35, 60 day cards. I'm about to renew for the 1st time and was wondering if I renew a few days early, does the 60 days start from the renewal date or tack onto the current expire date? (anyone actually tried it early?)

I'm very happy with the 4G hotspot. I eliminated my phone completely and use my Nexus 7 for everything, anywhere. The 1st 55 days I only used 557mb of data (I'm on wifi at home and work). So for $17.50 per month this plan is ideal for me. I keep my old Optimus-V in the car in case of emergency (can dial 911 thru cell network, or use the wifi hotspot and use GrooveIP). Hotspot has always connected and has always been faster than what I was use to on 3G (Virgin Mobile). Signal is 100% in the car; if I'm eating and car is 100-200' away, I'm still at 30-50% on 4G. I turn it off when not in use and get 2-3 days battery life. If I'm using it for Nav, I plug it into my car charger.

edit: I just noticed you can now buy $35, 60 day "passes" directly on T-Mobile web site. Beats going through Walmart! Going to add my Walmart card Friday, 1 day early.
    Last edited by TCAT; 04-24-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Carrier
    PTEL
    Feedback Score
    OK, I just added the $35 Walmart card I bought online. It shows up as funds as "account balance" = $35. When I go to buy a refill on the website, it says I can't until my 1st one expires (9:30 tonight). This seems odd... so nothing can be stacked, and I need to be at a computer the exact time (or after) the card expires? I don't really want to do the auto refill with a credit card (got screwed with Virgin Mobile doing that).

Phones
    Ascend Y, Proclaim, Ascend Plus
    Shorty, LG290C, VX5500, S380C, 235C, 440G
    401G
    Carriers
    America Movil, Virgin Mobile
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Appreciate you sharing your thoughts on this device, TCAT. I was wanting more info on this device and the plan as I was considering purchasing one myself. Please follow up after you renew your service.

I am interested in that you said you can get the Walmart deal through your Tmo account management. Is that because you originally bought the device at Walmart?

And maybe you can't stack airtime because they don't want you to carry over unused data?

Carrier
    PTEL
    Feedback Score
    The plan and device itself is great. Can't beat $17.50/mo for 1.75gb of data. I used about 600mb my first 60 days. 4G speed is good as long as you're in 4G area, I have not found a place I've been without. I use GrooveIP, and while not as good on 4G it still works; calls work both ways, just a little choppy occasionally. If my car is parked too far away, I just put the hotspot in my pocket for 100% signal. I think I had no connection once in 60 days, but pressing the button on the right seemed to cause a connection retry and was fine within a minute.

My only issue is the way you have to renew. I had bought a second $35 refill card thru Walmart online (it's really just a cash refill card, not the actual "Tmobile Pass"). I had no problem calling the 800 number and applying it to my account. The problem is you then have to buy the 60 day pass within your T-mobile account, but you can't do that until your 60 days is up (not even 2 hours before while chatting with a T-mobile rep). So you really need to renew the next day on a PC and not thru the device... I just did it and works fine, just real stupid way of getting new money from you. I'd stack 2-6 passes if I could.

They do show the $35, 60 day pass online (at T-mobile), so I just set up auto renew, and it shows it will be renewed with the current pass I am on, so 60 days from now we'll see if that works. My only question is there are no taxes thru Walmart, will there be with CC auto renew thru Tmobile? Probably worth the taxes to avoid the month end hassle (if they do charge them).

Here's my chat transcript, he really didn't completely know what he was talking about (it did not auto renew with te cash in the account):

Chat Transcript
    It is our mission to provide you quick access to a courteous agent that will help resolve your questions. All our agents are currently helping other customers.
    You have been connected to !Christian C.
    Tom: I have a $35, 60 day pass expires at 10:00 tonight. I keep getting mails to renew, but online it says I can't renew until it expires. I loaded another 60 day pass (currently shows as $35 account balance). So if I have to buy a new pass AFTER the 1st one expires, how do I get online to add the next one? Or does the $35 account balance automatically buy the new pass? Seems ridiculous that I can stack passes.
    !Christian C: Hi Tom! Thanks for using T-Mobile Chat Service , my name is Christian and rep ID for your reference is 145-xxxx.
    !Christian C: I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems stacking it up on your account online.
    !Christian C: Allow me to check the information about the amounts you added on the account and allow me to verify the account first.
    Tom: OK. When I click on the $35, 60 day pass, says I can't buy until existing one expires
    !Christian C: May I know the phone number which is associated with your account please?
    Tom: 512xxxxxxx, It's a mobile 4G hotspot
    !Christian C: Thank you for the information.
    !Christian C: May I also have the four digit PIN on your account?
    Tom: try xxxx
    !Christian C: Awesome!
    !Christian C: Ideally the expiration is there for a reason. Let me answer first your question/s, since you have already an available balance for tommorow's expiration it will automatically deduct on your account the needed amount to renew your plan.
    !Christian C: Then if you would like to renew early you can definitely do it through our prepaid care.
    Tom: OK, as long as it renews the 60 day plan, right?
    !Christian C: Yes, that would be correct.
    Tom: OK, just wanted to be sure. Didn't want a 30 day plan added automatically. I'll check after 10:00 PM to see what happens.
    !Christian C: No, this will only be happening if the plan has already reached the expiration.
    Tom: Well the plan does expire at 10:00 PM
    !Christian C: Do you have any other questions at the moment?
    !Christian C: You are correct!
    Tom: OK. So it will auto use my $35, for a new 60 day pass, right?
    !Christian C: Yes, it is right.
    Tom: Thank you. bye

Feedback Score
    Do you have to use a hotspot device bought from walmart to have the 60 days plan? Somebody said they could not get the 60 days plan (30 days instead) because the device was not bought from walmart. Can t-mobile tell the difference by IMEI?

Quote Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
    OK, I just added the $35 Walmart card I bought online. It shows up as funds as "account balance" = $35. When I go to buy a refill on the website, it says I can't until my 1st one expires (9:30 tonight). This seems odd... so nothing can be stacked, and I need to be at a computer the exact time (or after) the card expires? I don't really want to do the auto refill with a credit card (got screwed with Virgin Mobile doing that).

Carrier
    PTEL
    Feedback Score
    Correct, must be bought at Walmart (from what I've read). But it does seem odd that you don't need to buy the $35 cards there (once you establish an account).