Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Any cheapo phone with minutes that don't expire?

Feedback Score

Any cheapo phone with minutes that don't expire?

I'm looking to get my first 'pocket phone' and been researching prepaid mobile phones and disposable cell phones, but not liking what I'm seeing. I'll only need phone for emergency use, so this junk about paying for minutes that disappear after a month or three months sound like a major scam to me. Ran across an article by Bryan Black titled 'Does an Untraceable Cell Phone Exist?", where he writes:

"I realized that to use my new prepaid phone for emergency purposes, I'd need to purchase an optional minute plan where the minutes never expired."

This sounds like what I need, but Google has not provided any useful info, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows what the author was talking about? Is there a cheapo phone, with no monthly fee, having minutes that never expire?

Phone
    Nokia 5230 Nuron
    Carrier
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I don't know about "never" expiring, but several plans exist with a one year expiration, and some of them roll over unused minutes. Tracphone, T-Mobile, and I thimk others offer such plans. T-Mobile requires only a $10 minimum payment per year, altough you have to spend $100 up front to get the yearly expiration. So $100 the first year, $10/year after that.

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygee View Post
    I'm looking to get my first 'pocket phone' and been researching prepaid mobile phones and disposable cell phones, but not liking what I'm seeing. I'll only need phone for emergency use, so this junk about paying for minutes that disappear after a month or three months sound like a major scam to me. Ran across an article by Bryan Black titled 'Does an Untraceable Cell Phone Exist?", where he writes:

"I realized that to use my new prepaid phone for emergency purposes, I'd need to purchase an optional minute plan where the minutes never expired."

This sounds like what I need, but Google has not provided any useful info, so I'm wondering if anyone here knows what the author was talking about? Is there a cheapo phone, with no monthly fee, having minutes that never expire?
    You could get a Tru Phone SIM for $30, which includes $15 airtime. That SIM will work in most unlocked GSM phones, which you could get on Ebay or several other places. The airtime is 17cents/minute. It does not expire as long as you use at least one minute every 90 days.

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygee View Post
    I'll only need phone for emergency use, so this junk about paying for minutes that disappear after a month or three months sound like a major scam to me.
    What you're asking for doesn't exist. Other posters suggests plans that are close. An "international" SIM might do the trick - a call every few months would keep it active.

My suggestion is a Verizon prepaid with $10 credit or a TracFone with an airtime card in your wallet. When you need it, you can activate it, on the spot, from the phone and add airtime too.
    Regards, FJ

Carrier
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The nearest thing I know of is Tracfone. Once you load minutes on, you can opt to pay only $6/mo to maintain service even if you aren't adding anymore minutes to the phone. Of course, you could do the $10/mo Tracfone plan and have minutes added.. but if it's for a few times a year.. you may as well load $20 on a double or triple minute phone and then pay $6/mo to keep it active if you never use the minutes. Why pay $48/yr more if you aren't using it?

Tracfone's $10 value plan is 50 minutes (100 w/ double mins, 150 w/ triple mins) which is pretty cheap if all you want is calling. The minutes DO roll over too.

Or do $100/yr Verizon prepaid at 25 cents a minute PAYG ($0 daily fee) which is up to 400 minutes... amusing no texting and no data usage. ($8.33 is what it averages out to).

You get 400 mins on Tracfone's 1 year card.. not sure if it doubles and triples too but they might.

Feedback Score
    If you shop at Kroger or a subsidiary company, their program appears to allow you to keep your account alive through your loyalty card.

Carriers
    ekit, Truphone
    piranha, Worldsim
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post
    When you need it, you can activate it, on the spot, from the phone and add airtime too.
    As you are bleeding to death? It seems to me if it is to be an emergency phone, it should work immediately, not whenever you are able to activte it.

Feedback Score
    That is why there is interest in Lycamobile. Put the free sim into your unlocked gsm phone. Deposit anything above 10 cents into your account, and you are all set. All that is required is that you actively do something like make a call or send a text at least once every 90 days. Note that Lycamobile has not even been around in the US for 90 days yet, so anything can happen in the future. Hopefully, their terms & conditions will not change.

Carrier
    Tracfone/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If all you want is 911, any unactivated phone will work.

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    If income/assets and location qualify, you can get a free phone and service here: http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/Welcome.aspx

or here:

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...c/NewHome.html

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
    As you are bleeding to death? It seems to me if it is to be an emergency phone, it should work immediately, not whenever you are able to activte it.
    Interesting. I guess it depends on what kind of emergency you expect and how much you're willing to pay. The OP was objecting to $2-3 a month. What if you're struck by lightning on a solo hike in the Bob Marshall Wilderness, ID? You can call 911 from an inactive phone. The Verizon prepaid activates in 2 minutes, anywhere Verizon works.
    Regards, FJ

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontierjustice View Post
    The OP was objecting to $2-3 a month.
    Some people, who want a phone for minimal use, expect it to cost next to nothing, since they use it so little. They need to remember that they are expecting towers to be available for their possible emergency, everywhere in the country, just in case they have an emergency somewhere. IMO, they can pay for some of that expense too, and not expect to just pay next to nothing for very minimal use. Hence, $2-3/month is not an outrageous cost when one is expecting service everywhere and whenever they might need it. Also, I did post how one can get a Tru phone SIM with $15 airtime for $30, that will last for many years of minimal use.

Phone
    Nokia 5230 Nuron
    Carrier
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I don't recall the OP saying anything about specific numbers. I suspect if he realized it could be as low as $2-$3month, he wouldn't be pbjecting. But most plans - even prepaid plans - seems to be steering you into monthly plans that cost ten times that much. And even the pay as you go plans from most providers have expiration dates that end up forcing you to refill at close to that rate. At least some let you you just top off every year. That's why I recommended starting off with $100 in a T-Mobile account - that's the amount necessary to get yearly expiration. So after spending that $100 up front, it's only $10/year to keep it active - which works out to only pennies (well, under a dollar, anyhow) per month. And you'll get much better coverage than any of T-Mobile's MVNO's like Lycamobile. But it is true that you can get *slightly* better costs with a couple of the suggested MVNO's, if pennies a month (payable pnly once a year) still seems like too much to handle.

Phones
    LG VX5400
    Incredible2
    LG VX5400
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    T-Mo prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumpphone View Post
    I don't recall the OP saying anything about specific numbers. I suspect if he realized it could be as low as $2-$3month, he wouldn't be pbjecting. But most plans - even prepaid plans - seems to be steering you into monthly plans that cost ten times that much. And even the pay as you go plans from most providers have expiration dates that end up forcing you to refill at close to that rate. At least some let you you just top off every year. That's why I recommended starting off with $100 in a T-Mobile account - that's the amount necessary to get yearly expiration. So after spending that $100 up front, it's only $10/year to keep it active - which works out to only pennies (well, under a dollar, anyhow) per month. And you'll get much better coverage than any of T-Mobile's MVNO's like Lycamobile. But it is true that you can get *slightly* better costs with a couple of the suggested MVNO's, if pennies a month (payable pnly once a year) still seems like too much to handle.
    IMHO, the Tru Phone SIM is a better deal than T-Mobile ToGo. The Tru Phone SIM is $30. That includes $15 airtime which is used at 17cents/minute. It does not expire, if one minute is used every 90 days. That means that one can have an emergency phone that will work on T-Mobile and AT&T for many years for just $30. I have been using T-Mo ToGo phones for glove box phones in my car for about 8 years. I recently replaced one of them with a Tru phone SIM and sold my active T-Mo ToGo SIM on Ebay for more than the $30 that it cost me for the Tru Phone SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan Edogawa View Post
    That is why there is interest in Lycamobile. Put the free sim into your unlocked gsm phone. Deposit anything above 10 cents into your account, and you are all set. All that is required is that you actively do something like make a call or send a text at least once every 90 days. Note that Lycamobile has not even been around in the US for 90 days yet, so anything can happen in the future. Hopefully, their terms & conditions will not change.
    I ran across Lycamobile and its competitor already, but not seeing what you are. Both appear focused on international calls (useless for my needs), have monthly fee, and no mention of minutes that don't expire:
    Am I missing something? If its the way you think, I'd be interested...but if its the way it looks (on the links I cannot include), not so much.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast