Thread: I want to buy a game for my Samsung Montage but...

Feedback Score

Question I want to buy a game for my Samsung Montage but...

I'd like to purchase a game for my Montage, but my account seems so horribly misconfigured that I can't. What happens is, I click on Games, then Get New Games, and it asks me to connect me to the internet. I am sent to a Virgin web site with a link to GameLoft.com with no obvious way to get games for my Montage feature phone.

I know Virgin used to have something called VirginXL, but that seems long gone.

Can somebody point me to a YouTube video (or similar) that shows the way the game purchase process is supposed to work?

Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mackerm View Post
    I'd like to purchase a game for my Montage,

...process is supposed to work?

have you tried getjar?

first download Opera Mini. @ mini.opera.com from your phone's browser.

then go to GetJar.com

*** you might want to install a microsd card too, to save wallpapers, photos, music, and other....

Also visit zedge.net for ringtones and wallpapers. Browse the site on your desktop to find what you like/want then download with opera mini.

PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $35 / $1 | AT&T PREPAID: .25/Min

Feedback Score
    Hi, Vmobi,

Your reply was a huge help because now I know that I can download things without going through the Virgin Mobile site. I got the Montage to replace a broken Oystr, which was a very limited phone. I did look at Getjar.com and while they don't specifically say their software is compatible with my phone, I did find plenty of other sites by doing a search for M390 Games.

I do want to get some large apps, like a dictionary, but I don't want to get stuck with the $1.50/megabyte charge, so I guess my next task is to learn about bluetooth and USB file transfers. Probably beyond the scope of this forum.

I am puzzled that nobody else has apparently asked this question before. The VM website doesn't tell you anything, and I can't be that much of a dope.

Thanks again for the eye-opener.

Device(s)
    iP_SE, iP_7P
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, AT&T_ Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Sprint: Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/7.1.32723/29.3417; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by mackerm
    Hi, Vmobi,

Your reply was a huge help because now I know that I can download things without going through the Virgin Mobile site. I got the Montage to replace a broken Oystr, which was a very limited phone. I did look at Getjar.com and while they don't specifically say their software is compatible with my phone, I did find plenty of other sites by doing a search for M390 Games.

I do want to get some large apps, like a dictionary, but I don't want to get stuck with the $1.50/megabyte charge, so I guess my next task is to learn about bluetooth and USB file transfers. Probably beyond the scope of this forum.

I am puzzled that nobody else has apparently asked this question before. The VM website doesn't tell you anything, and I can't be that much of a dope.

Thanks again for the eye-opener.
    Please share your findings and any methods that work for you with that phone. There used to be a lot of info on older VM feature phones, but it seems like a lot of subscribers are still trying smart-phones and like the experience that they provide. I know many subscribers that use Tablets, iPads, etc. and prefer to use talk & text feature phones instead of smart-phones, that seems to work for them (keeps their tech related costs to a minimum). The newest VM PayLo devices are not as locked down as previous models used to be. Opera Mini is the only browser worth using with PayLo's limited data options.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vmobi View Post
    Please share your findings and any methods that work for you with that phone.
    Well, here's my answer to you, only two-and-a-half months late. I installed Opera easily, and it works with the numeric keyboard, but it doesn't work correctly with the slider keyboard. (At least not the version I downloaded; I recall there were a couple of choices.)

I was not able to install games from GetJar or any of the many shady-looking sites that advertise apps for feature phones. I got Bluetooth working and transferred files from my Mac, which is a nice feature.

One thing I found really annoying (has this happened with anyone else?) is that every time I asked a question on the official Virgin Mobile website in the Ask & Answer section, it got rejected for violating some unidentified policy. These were really basic questions, i.e. "How do you buy games for the Samsung Montage?" "How do I get the Virgin XL games you mention?" Par for the course, I suppose.