Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Verizon iphone 5?

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Exclamation Straight Talk Verizon iphone 5?

I'm at work and for some reason the ST website is blocked by my intranet so I can't really see the hardware for sale. I'm surprised we don't have a sticky in regards to this.

I have a ST ATT sim sitting at home unactivated and I originally was going to switch to ST, but the ATT service in my house is non-existent and from what I understand the micro-cells don't work with ST (someone confirm). So I'm really considering the ST iphone 5 deal and just buying it straight out, from what I understand it's a Verizon ip5 and works on Verizon towers, but does have a SIM slot and I could use it unlocked on ATT in the future if I wanted to, or even slip in my ST ATT SIM?
    iPhone 5 !!

Carrier
    Straight Talk (For now)
    Feedback Score

Verizon Iphone 5

Quote Originally Posted by SpineDoc View Post
    I'm at work and for some reason the ST website is blocked by my intranet so I can't really see the hardware for sale. I'm surprised we don't have a sticky in regards to this.

I have a ST ATT sim sitting at home unactivated and I originally was going to switch to ST, but the ATT service in my house is non-existent and from what I understand the micro-cells don't work with ST (someone confirm). So I'm really considering the ST iphone 5 deal and just buying it straight out, from what I understand it's a Verizon ip5 and works on Verizon towers, but does have a SIM slot and I could use it unlocked on ATT in the future if I wanted to, or even slip in my ST ATT SIM?
    The only way you can currently use a Verizon Iphone 5 is with your ST AT&T Sim. It would be using the GSM AT&T towers however, and not the Verizon. Verizon Iphone, while unlocked can't be activated on the Verizon towers through straight talk because LTE is enabled. There is currently no way to do the activation based on the ESN.

If you are buying an Iphone 5 out right I suggest you buy a Straight Talk branded Iphone 5 from Wal Mart. Those phones are flashed NOT to enable LTE. They do use Verizon towers but are limited to 3G. The one advantage being you can use a GSM SIM as well. I am a Page Plus dealer and I tried to activate my Verizon Iphone 5 on PP with no luck for the reason I mentioned above. But AT&T service works great in my home area, in fact better than Verizon. I have been using my ST AT&T SIM in my Verizon Iphone 5 for about 9 months now and the service is great. Impossible to beat when I buy the 3 month unlimited cards for $89.99. Best value available.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    So I'm really considering the ST iphone 5 deal and just buying it straight out, from what I understand it's a Verizon ip5 and works on Verizon towers
    The Straight Talk iPhone 5 appears to run different software than the Verizon iPhone 5. Apple seems to treat Straight Talk as a separate carrier than Verizon. While the Straight Talk iPhone 5 is intended for the Verizon service from Straight Talk, like shughes was saying, the software makes the Verizon iPhone 5 a slightly different product than the Straight Talk iPhone 5. For example the Verizon iPhone 5 is programmed for 4G LTE data service, and the Straight Talk iPhone 5 is currently programmed as a 3G phone.

but does have a SIM slot and I could use it unlocked on ATT in the future if I wanted to, or even slip in my ST ATT SIM?
    Instead of using the Straight Talk 3G Verizon service, yes some people use the Straight Talk iPhone 5 with GSM service.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. The Walmart phone is the one I was thinking of. So it uses Verizons towers but only has Verizon 3g, I can probably live with that as I don't use data very often, or I use my tablet. Now the SIM part, can I ever, in the future, use it on either AT&T or straight talk? Or is that GSM SIM useless?

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Sara for the response:

Hi SpineDoc, this is Sara from Straight Talk Wireless. We would like to inform you that our iPhone 5 is a CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) phone, which means it doesn't have a SIM card slot. In addition, our iPhone 5 is locked to Straight Talk's service so you cannot use it to the other service provider. You may send us an email at ST.CorpResolutionTeam@straighttalk.com if you have further questions. Thank you.

So let me understand, the iphone 5 sold by straight talk is a straight up Verizon/CDMA only phone, but the one sold by Walmart has both CDMA and the GSM SIM slot?

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    call walmart cs and find out the lowdown on there iphone 4s

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Except for the iPhone 4, Apple did not make separate hardware for iPhones used by different carriers.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    We would like to inform you that our iPhone 5 is a CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) phone, which means it doesn't have a SIM card slot.
    I only follow CDMA, but I think all iPhone 5 hardware can accept a UICC, which is sometimes called a SIM. The thread where the Straight Talk iPhone 5 was originally discussed includes numerous references to people using the CDMA phones with GSM. Aside from the current 3G limitation, the reports generally state the Straight Talk iPhone 5 should function similar to the Verizon iPhone 5 for GSM. People discussing GSM and the iPhone 5 in this forum talk about things like swapping a T-mobile sim to get AT&T cellular data working, and sometimes people report "APN retention" issues where they lose cellular data with GSM.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8#post15062788
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...ntion-iPhone-5

So let me understand, the iphone 5 sold by straight talk is a straight up Verizon/CDMA only phone, but the one sold by Walmart has both CDMA and the GSM SIM slot?
    Straight Talk only sells the CDMA version of the iPhone 5, and the phones include some GSM hardware. Regardless if you buy the Straight Talk iPhone 5 from Walmart or from Straight Talk, you should expect to receive a similar CDMA version of the phone. Based on the limitations placed on the iPhone 4S, Apple would probably prefer it if you could only use your CDMA iPhone on one carrier in the USA, but there are online reports of people using the Straight Talk iPhone 5 with GSM service in the USA.
    Last edited by alluringreality; 05-01-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Carrier
    ST Unlimited x 4 Lines
    Feedback Score
    In simple words, If you activate Walmart Iphone 5, it works on Verizon network, in future you will be able to use it with any SIM as it has been reported by many users, it has unlocked SIM slot..good luck

Feedback Score
    att micro cell tower does work. I am using it with iphone 4 with ST att sim. you do need someone with a post paid att cell account tho to add the micro cell tower.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shughes View Post
    The only way you can currently use a Verizon Iphone 5 is with your ST AT&T Sim. It would be using the GSM AT&T towers however, and not the Verizon. Verizon Iphone, while unlocked can't be activated on the Verizon towers through straight talk because LTE is enabled. There is currently no way to do the activation based on the ESN.

If you are buying an Iphone 5 out right I suggest you buy a Straight Talk branded Iphone 5 from Wal Mart. Those phones are flashed NOT to enable LTE. They do use Verizon towers but are limited to 3G. The one advantage being you can use a GSM SIM as well. I am a Page Plus dealer and I tried to activate my Verizon Iphone 5 on PP with no luck for the reason I mentioned above. But AT&T service works great in my home area, in fact better than Verizon. I have been using my ST AT&T SIM in my Verizon Iphone 5 for about 9 months now and the service is great. Impossible to beat when I buy the 3 month unlimited cards for $89.99. Best value available.
    Hello, I was wondering if you can please help me out. I currently own a Verizon iPhone 5, that I use with verizon. I am planning on canceling my service and going to straight talk. What sim card would I use? the Att straight talk sim or the t mobile. You mentioned that you use the att straight talk sim, do all features work for you? such as mms and data? I did see that straight talk no longer sells att sims but i did find them on ebay. Thanks

-rob

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rob90 View Post
    Hello, I was wondering if you can please help me out. I currently own a Verizon iPhone 5, that I use with verizon. I am planning on canceling my service and going to straight talk. What sim card would I use? the Att straight talk sim or the t mobile. You mentioned that you use the att straight talk sim, do all features work for you? such as mms and data? I did see that straight talk no longer sells att sims but i did find them on ebay. Thanks

-rob
    it depends on what service works best in your area AT&T or tmobile. you do have to enter the info for the data/mms to work.

Feedback Score
    I have a straight talk iphone 5 that was running on verizon 3G. the service was so horribly slow, i went to ATT and put their sim card in it. It works with a new number but the ATT 4G is slow as well in comparison to verizon LTE. But at least the phone is usable now.

Feedback Score
    Does the Wal Mart ST phone have LTE hardware? If I want LTE, how do I unlock my ST iPhone to use it at Verizon?

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Verizon will not let you activate a telephone you did not obtain from them. If you want to use Verizon without a contract, you should purchase the Verizon iPhone 5 from Verizon or Apple at full price.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast