Thread: How to disable conditional call forwarding with AT&T SIM?

Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score

How to disable conditional call forwarding with AT&T SIM?

For almost as long as I've had my Galaxy Nexus on Straight Talk using an AT&T SIM, I've had conditional call forwarding disabled. I use Google Voice exclusively for all incoming/outgoing calls, and this was the only way I could find to eliminate the forwarding loop that resulted from having calls conditionally forwarded to my Google Voice number. Otherwise, rejected (ignored) calls would end up re-ringing my phone until the necessary number of rings had passed with Google Voice. Some time in the past few days, conditional call forwarding was enabled again, forwarding calls to +19143190015. When I call this number it appears to be a backdoor into an AT&T voicemail system.

Attempting to disable any of the conditional forwarding options in the Call forwarding settings on my phone results in a message "Your operator doesn't support disabling call forwarding when your phone is busy", followed by "Unexpected response from network". Afterward, whichever entry I tried to disable is grayed out until I exit and re-enter that settings screen.

Attempting to disable all conditional call forwarding by dialing ##004# reports that forwarding has successfully been erased, but calls are still forwarded, and checking the settings in the menus shows that conditional forwarding is still in effect.

I called Straight Talk, and not only do I think the rep didn't understand the problem (and thus was no help), now when I dial ##004#, or dial **004*<myGVnumber># I get a message "Call forwarding - Connection problem or invalid MMI code". So now I'm even worse off because I any calls I don't answer get forwarded to +19143190015, and the caller is told that my voicemail isn't setup yet.

Any suggestions?

Carrier
    Straighttalk
    Feedback Score
    Here is a Wikipedia article on feature codes for phone systems. The GSM codes are farther down the page. Try inputting them directly in your dialer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_forwarding

Sent from my R800at using HowardForums

Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mirayge View Post
    Here is a Wikipedia article on feature codes for phone systems. The GSM codes are farther down the page. Try inputting them directly in your dialer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_forwarding

Sent from my R800at using HowardForums
    Thanks. Those are the codes I was using. Calls to Straight Talk tonight got varying results, first with conditional forwarding set to the backdoor number and none of the MMI codes or menus on the phone could successfully change it, and later with a manager clearing all call forwarding on my phone, and everything works as I wanted.

Overall an okay customer service experience, but I'm still at a loss as to how the forwarding got changed in the first place.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I just wanted to follow-up on this to say that a Straight Talk rep contacted me via private message less than 5 hours after my post (at 11:00pm local time). By that time I had gotten things resolved, but I just wanted to publicly acknowledge this and say that I am pleased to see that Straight Talk has a presence here on the forums.

Feedback Score
    That is nice to here

Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Apparently AT&T did another update and set my conditional call forwarding back to default values, leaving me with the same problem I described in the OP, except that I have been able to conditionally forward calls to my GV number. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reach a StraightTalk rep who understands the problem, or what I want as a solution - they all insist that I need to contact my phone manufacturer, probably because if they don't know how to fix it, it MUST be a phone problem.

There are a few approaches I can think of to solve this problem:
    1. disable/erase conditional call forwarding through the carrier (difficult to accomplish, and randomly undone by AT&T)
    2. Get Google Voice to recognize and stop the loop (smart, IMHO, but extremely unlikely to happen)
    3. Conditionally forward my calls to a number that will never answer, or at least wait long enough to answer that Google Voice answers first (completely within my control - no assistance from Google, StraightTalk or AT&T required)

Anyone have any suggestions for #3 - a number that will never answer?

How does everyone else handle using GV for inbound calls, and ignoring calls?

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    i use it fully intergrated.

using gv is not supported by st. i am surprised they did not do something to you. like hang up on you.

it is not clear to me what you are having trouble with exactly. what phone are you using? how do you have gv setup? what did you use to setup gv with?

Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I'm using a Galaxy Nexus. Google Voice is currently setup with my Nexus as a forwarding phone, and NOT configured to "use Google Voice with this phone", and all incoming calls come through Google Voice (nobody has my actual cell phone number). My Straight Talk voicemail is not setup, and I don't ever want to receive voicemail there.

The problem I'm having is with how rejected calls (swipe left) are treated. With the default conditional call forwarding settings, incoming calls that I reject are forwarded to 9143190015, and the caller receives a message saying that my voicemail is not setup. With conditional call forwarding to my Google Voice number, rejected calls go to my GV number, which then forwards the call to my cell phone again, at which point I can reject the call again and continue the cycle or just wait for my phone to stop ringing. With conditional call forwarding disabled, rejected calls continue to ring (from the callers perspective) until GV voicemail picks up, which is the behavior I want.

I have never mentioned Google Voice when calling StraightTalk. I merely say I want conditional call forwarding disabled, or that I want my phone to continue ringing until I answer or the caller hangs up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    have you looked at the settings in groups, can you setup a group like reject and select the desired option? i am away from pc where i could look.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    have you looked at the settings in groups, can you setup a group like reject and select the desired option? i am away from pc where i could look.
    I've never done anything with groups in GV, but as far as I can tell a caller would already have to be in an existing group at the time of their call for their call to be processed based on their group membership.

What I'm looking for is to be able to reject individual calls when I don't want to talk to that person AT THAT TIME, and have their call go to GV voicemail without bouncing back to my phone repeatedly until GV voicemail finally picks up.

Phone
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    that was the only place i was not familiar. there is not then a solution within voice. i would post in gv help someone may have discussed this. good luck.