Phones
    mine:HTC Merge
    HTC Merge
    HTC Desire
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    My take on the iPhone....

I for one am glad that us cellular is getting the iPhone. It will give Us cellular a chance at customers it hasn't been able to capture with other devices.

I have had everything smartphone wise except the iPhone. If the pricing is right I will give it a try.

I hope that by the time that the roll out comes around US cellular has the network infrastructure in place to support the data hungry users that iPhone users tend to be (studies have shown). If they don't, the entire customer base will suffer.

Just a couple of thoughts....

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
    Just because I look crazy, Doesn't mean I am crazy. I just enjoy life.... Usually.

Phones
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Mogul
    Blackberry 8830
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vin_mitchell View Post
    Seems to me us cellular rejected apple 2 years ago??
    Right, and look where that's gotten them:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1402...t?source=yahoo

USCC CEO Mary Dillon yesterday (5/4/2013):

Continued elevated churn led to postpaid net losses of 32,000 in our core markets.
    As we’ve discussed on previous calls, our postpaid churn has been unacceptably elevated for several quarters. And while we’ve taken a variety of actions to reduce this, we know that a high portion of this churn is driven by not offering Apple products.
    Hmmmm....It doesn't take a financial genius to connect the dots on what happened. They thought they could get along fine without the iPhone and other Apple products. Reality showed them the error of their thought process. They went back to Apple with their proverbial tails between their legs.
    Last edited by Evan702; 05-04-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    Thrill me...

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The original reason was stated on its lack of 4G,apple likely has addressed that and the Chicago sale likely gave the USCCs the necessary cash for such a huge commitment. Why does it have to be anyone losing? Sounds like a mutually beneficial deal. Even despite churn uscc wouldn't be getting it if it was 3G only.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using HowardForums

Phones
    Apple iPhone 4s-Me
    Apple iPhone 4s-Mom
    LG VX8350-Dad
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan702 View Post
    After yet another quarter of subscriber losses for USCC, I'm sure that Apple wasn't the one kowtowing during the negotiations...
    Where do you get another quarter subscriber loss for US Cellular at?
    ICanHearYouNow

Phones
    Motorola V950 Renegade
    Mogul
    Blackberry 8830
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    From Mary Dillon's quote which I cited just two posts above yours.

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Nokia 6265i
    Kyocera Koi; Kyocera 2235; Kyocera 2035
    Carriers
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    Users in Chicago/St. Louis first felt like they got dumped by their girlfriend. Then a few months later they find out that she gets a nose job, other feature enhancements, and is dating the cool guy from the high school one town over.

USCC traded Chicago for Apple

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Probably. But the financials in Chicago were also a mess. According to Bloomsburg uscc was bleeding money in Chicago so either way the sale makes sense.

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    Motorola Electrify
    Carrier
    US CELLULAR
    Feedback Score
    Hearing a 2 year contract will be required on the Iphone.Also,possibly could be the low end one Apple is releasing.
    If anyone thinks the Iphone is going to be the savior for churn,it might be,but every other carrier has taken a hit in profits after getting the Iphone.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-573...tersweet-drug/
    MOTOROLA Still #1 in reception and call clarity.

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It won't be the low end one. 1.2 billion is roughly proportional to what sprint paid when you scale for customer base. If they get the low end one they'll have the high end one also.

Also profits take a hit sure but it won't be the financial disaster sprint had because of the nearly $500 million uscc will get for Chicago. If sprint had received $5 billion in cash right when they got the iPhone their financials would have looked much better, that's basically what's happening for uscc. Nearly 1/2 their iPhone commitment will be paid for by Chicago so they should be much better off.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by freibrauer View Post
    It won't be the low end one. 1.2 billion is roughly proportional to what sprint paid when you scale for customer base. If they get the low end one they'll have the high end one also.

Also profits take a hit sure but it won't be the financial disaster sprint had because of the nearly $500 million uscc will get for Chicago. If sprint had received $5 billion in cash right when they got the iPhone their financials would have looked much better, that's basically what's happening for uscc. Nearly 1/2 their iPhone commitment will be paid for by Chicago so they should be much better off.

They also have an LTE rollout to pay for, but I get what you're saying.

Carrier
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Plus let's be honest, uscc is way better off financially than sprint was. They still turned a slim profit last quarter and sprint was already hemorrhaging cash. Obviously their financials still will take a hit and will look pretty bad but not as bad. There's a reason USCCs stock trades in the 30s and sprint is in the single digits.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by freibrauer View Post
    Plus let's be honest, uscc is way better off financially than sprint was. They still turned a slim profit last quarter and sprint was already hemorrhaging cash. Obviously their financials still will take a hit and will look pretty bad but not as bad. There's a reason USCCs stock trades in the 30s and sprint is in the single digits.

All true too. If done properly I think this could be big for USCC. I just hope that the network infrastructure can support the extra volume. 3G speeds on vzw (in my area anyway) took a huge hit when they picked up the iPhone.

Phones
    Motorola v323i-awesome!
    Motorola v323
    Retired: Motorola v262, v60i, Nokia 6360, 6161
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It's about time. If not for the money, there's no question I'd go for an iPhone on USCC...well, maybe a little question because I'm about to be at the edge of their coverage area, I guess, and I don't know what happens when you leave it. Can't/shouldn't afford their smart phone plans though.

Quote Originally Posted by BodomSlayer View Post
    So what you're saying is you're going to hold out for a fragile, out dated, over priced, and boring device?
    "Boring" doesn't mean anything, it's no more overpriced than any other phone sold as high end, and it's not "outdated", whatever that means.

Android doesn't solve any problems for me. When I carry an Android phone, I still have to carry an iPod too. At least Windows Phone 8 they don't give out your personal info when you pay for a program or something, though it's in the same boat otherwise for me.

Phones
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Motorola Droid Razr
    HTC Desire (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwolf View Post
    It's about time. If not for the money, there's no question I'd go for an iPhone on USCC...well, maybe a little question because I'm about to be at the edge of their coverage area, I guess, and I don't know what happens when you leave it. Can't/shouldn't afford their smart phone plans though.

"Boring" doesn't mean anything, it's no more overpriced than any other phone sold as high end, and it's not "outdated", whatever that means.

Android doesn't solve any problems for me. When I carry an Android phone, I still have to carry an iPod too. At least Windows Phone 8 they don't give out your personal info when you pay for a program or something, though it's in the same boat otherwise for me.
    Why do you need an ipod with an Android phone? Most phones have tons of storage plus Google music.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using HowardForums

Phones
    Motorola v323i-awesome!
    Motorola v323
    Retired: Motorola v262, v60i, Nokia 6360, 6161
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BodomSlayer View Post
    Why do you need an ipod with an Android phone? Most phones have tons of storage plus Google music.
    I need it for podcasts and the like, and vastly prefer it for the ability to manage programs on a PC, etc.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast